U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM

21,295 posts, read 19,384,638 times

Advertisements

Compared to previous times, do people look younger for their age now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM

711 posts, read 749,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think it's better diet and less time out in the sun laboring.
I agree...

Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM

17,332 posts, read 12,306,723 times
I don't know. Maybe I am a weirdo, but I think 50% of the high schoolers I see look older than I do. Typically, people guess I am 7-10 years younger than I am (I am in my early 30s). And it is usually the people in that age bracket that think I am their age. Older people also peg me at 25ish as well. And people my age. But I definitely run into high schoolers that look to be in their mid 20s. On the whole I think people under 40 look a lot younger than their parents did, but I am not so sure about the under 20 set.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM

4,008 posts, read 2,651,822 times
They definitely do look older, probably a combination of limited clothing and cosmetics, unfashionable haircuts, sun exposure, poorer diets, harder lives all round. People died much younger and were expected to be mature in their teenage years not kidults as we have now. Also dental care was almost non-existant, missing teeth greatly affects the shape of the face, even the way it ages.

My mother was extremely dowdy and old looking at a much younger age. She probably worked too hard but was also a victim of her era, where spoiling yourself with makeup and clothes was completely out of reach for financial and idealogical reasons - housewives were expected to sit at home and cook not go out to work, bring our kids up alone, and buy fabulous shoes like we do now.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,155,607 times
Good points. I think fashion had alot to do with it. There wasn't a huge distinction between 'teen fashion' and adult fashion back then. I don't know if diet had anything to do with it. If anything, our diets our worse today than anything else (processed foods, etc. etc.).

Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,802,037 times
Definitely, I think their clothing, hairstyle etc added to that as well, and many became adults early on. Ironically, the average age of puberty (for girls at least, not sure about boys) was later back then.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,994,123 times
When I was a kid, my grandmother had long hair braided into a bun, no makeup,
sensible black orthopedic looking shoes, flowered dresses.. That's what women in their 60's wore.
Now that I'm 65 and a grandmother, it's different....

Even older people looked older..

Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM

304 posts, read 307,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know. Maybe I am a weirdo, but I think 50% of the high schoolers I see look older than I do. Typically, people guess I am 7-10 years younger than I am (I am in my early 30s). And it is usually the people in that age bracket that think I am their age. Older people also peg me at 25ish as well. And people my age. But I definitely run into high schoolers that look to be in their mid 20s. On the whole I think people under 40 look a lot younger than their parents did, but I am not so sure about the under 20 set.
I think it might possibly coincide with the rising obesity rates. I went back to my old high school in December and noticed that a lot of the guys there were larger than me. I'm almost 27,around 6ft, 160 lbs and people usually think I'm no older than 21. When I shave the beard, people usually guess I'm around 18 or 19. Upon my visit, I noticed a lot of "huge" guys with full beards. I don't remember too many students during my time there that fit that description. When I was exiting the school, I was actually accosted by an administrator who accused me of "trying to skip school."

I don't know, it's kind of hard to answer the question. As an undergrad, I briefly worked at a service station and I saw a lot of people, male and female that looked well over 21, but they were 18 or 19.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,305,554 times
Cosmetic surgery, teeth whitening, better medical care, hair dye available in a broad range of colors that almost any woman can afford, sunscreen, flat irons - all of these play a big role in the reasons women can look much younger than they did 50+ years ago.

I would bet though that if you compared people who are in a similar socioeconomic group, you might not see as wide a variation though. People that have to work in physically demanding jobs and have low income are not as able or likely to spend money and time on the things I listed above.

When you start to get past the mid-30's in age, with women in particular, you do notice a change in appearance between those with more money vs those that don't have the money (and those who work in hard physical jobs vs. those who don't). The ones with more money tend to spend more on hair care, teeth whitening, skin care, and cosmetics, and these make a huge difference in how old one appears.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 AM

8,934 posts, read 7,285,561 times
Overall that does seem to be typical, but I've seen some exceptions. I once found an old picture of my mom in which I assumed she was in middle school, but it turned out the photo was taken during her senior year in high school. And looking through her old high school yearbooks, yes, a lot of the kids look kind of old but many don't. Some actually look young to me. I also watch a lot of old movies (mostly 30s and 40s), and sometimes afterward I look up the film on IMBD just to learn more about the actors. Pretty often those starlets turn out to be a lot older than I expect. After I watched Mr. Smith Goes To Washington the first time, I assumed Jean Arthur was probably in her late 20s in that film, but she was almost 40. In the movie Shane she looks like she's maybe 40 to me, but she's actually over 50. I have friends my age (32) who look considerably older than Jean Arthur did at 50. But of course, I'm sure clever makeup and careful lighting has a lot to do with that. She still looked darn good for her age, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty