U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,327,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Not strictly true - while I advocate a "clean" diet for skincare, a little bit of sugar makes no difference at all, nor does chocolate or even greasy food IN MODERATION. Trust me I am heaps old and I tried EVERYTHING for my cystic acne, you have to be way more pro active than just eliminating something from your diet. The clean diet I use means hardly any processed food, which means by default wholemeal/grain breads instead of white, raw sugar instead of white. Obviously you aren't sitting about eating cups of sugar, most of us would only add it to coffee, tea or cereal anyway so aren't eating a great deal. It's the hidden sugar (and other nasties) you have to worry about, like that in takeaway and processed foods. Eliminate the processed foods, you've eliminated the bulk of the sugar, sodium and added chemicals like food colouring and preservatives.
This is your experience, and I'm glad you're very happy with your diet. However, what's true for one isn't necessarily true for all. For me, my breakouts stopped when I mostly stopped eating wheat. Now, that also elimated a lot of sugar from my diet (breads, cookies, cakes, etc.), but these days even if I eat a lot of sugary foods such as chocolate candy, I won't break out unless and until I add wheat back into my diet. It takes a few days, and happens faster with white flour than whole wheat. I can maintain if I have no more than 1 serving of a wheat-based product per day. I also can't take vit. E supplements b/c they break me out, too -- it's made from wheat germ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,025,112 times
Stop eating dairy. I had problems for years!! Tried everything including the antibiotics which btw, damaged my liver!! Then I became vegan and lo and behold since I didn't ingest dairy, my skin cleared up and the heavens sang! LOL. But alas, I gradually started eating meats back into my diet, still no acne. Then one day I had cheese. Major flare up. It was almost instantaneous!! So then I drank milk, and holy cow! (pun intended ) MAJOR FLARE UP. Google cystic acne caused by dairy. You'll see I'm not kidding. They load those poor cows with so many hormones it's unreal. Now my 14 y.o. son, has developed acne. Then you guessed it, when I told him, no more dairy, his skin cleared up. Then we tested it again, months without=clear skin, then he ate ice cream and cheese, FLARE up.
Try it. You have nothing to lose but your acne.

(the best part of this is that you aren't taking any drugs!!)

Unread 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM

5,510 posts, read 7,021,698 times
Dunno if the OP is still following this thread or not...

...but shaving could be making the acne problem worse.

Go to a real barber shop where men can get a real shave (they still do exist, really ) and have them teach you the proper way to shave your face. This will help with razor burn and ingrown hairs which might be part of the problem.

Also - consider getting a facial designed specifically for acne once a week at first until you see an improvement, then go once a month... until the face clears up. I have a friend who did this and it worked wonders! Facials aren't just for women! There are facials out there designed just for acne - for men and women.

The aesthetician who does the facial will also show you how to care for and treat your skin to help with future breakouts and also do your best to prevent them. BUT be careful - don't fall for gimmicks and don't buy expensive creams and lotions. It's not necessary. Save your money.

Don't be embarrassed about going to get a shave or a facial. The people who work in those industries are trained to help you and they want to help you - it's their job. And to see your skin heal and clear up will be a positive experience for not just you but for them as well!

One last thing: Wash your face with Cetaphil first thing in the morning and then again last thing at night before you go to bed. You gently rub it onto your dry face, then rinse off with warm water and pat your face dry. So simple. Do NOT use soap on your face. Also - try not to touch your face. Once it's clean, leave it alone. I know it's hard, but your hands have oils on them, and pick up germs and dirt, and touching your face will only make things worse.

You can also use a mask on your face at night that will dry up acne and help clear your skin as well. The Queen Helene mint julep masque is really good for this. My teenage son uses this (he was reluctant at first but now he swears by it and has two of his friends also using it! lol) and his skin looks great. He was getting some pretty bad acne on his forhead but now it's gone and we feel it was the mask and the cetaphil that did it.

OH - and change pillowcases every day. Make sure you have enough pillowcases so that you can put a fresh one on your pillow every day between doing laundry. Wash them with bleach. Pillows are awful for giving people acne. Always use a clean pillow.

Good luck!

Unread 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,499,809 times
Lately, I've been using what everyone says NOT to use in Vaseline/Petroleum jelly. I put just a teeny tiny shade of it on my face after I wash it thorough with warm and cold water and using a exfoliating mitt. So far, it has been doing very well for me and I have to say the pimples have been minimized! SO FAR, SO FAR.....SO FAR.

Unread 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,499,809 times
And I haven't followed the thread for a while but I have read many opinions and advices and BELIEVE ME I am taking them all into consideration. I have all the options written down so that way I can always try the next method if the next goes wary. Thanks all!

Unread 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM

14,099 posts, read 12,389,561 times
I use to have what I thought were huge pimples. Turns out I was shaving wrong. I was shaving against the path of beard growth causing ingrown hairs and infection of the pores. I switch to shaving in the direction my hair grows. Though not as close, I don't have the problems anymore. Don't over wash your face. It's good to do exfoliate roughly once a week. Try using Nivea for men face lotion/gel for sensitive skin. If you have serious acne like cystic acne, seek professional help. Saw a woman on Embarassing Bodies with cystic acne so serious that some pits required skin graphs.

Unread 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM

12,245 posts, read 15,303,759 times
Back in 1993, and at age 36, and tired of the pimples that would leave my face scarred forever, my dematologist prescribed a 4-month regimen of Accutane. Finally...after all those years, something that worked and stopped these heinous globs from appearing on my face. I don't care what the side effects are, it was the right thing to do, for me, and I would glady do it over given the same circumstances. My only regret...not doing it 10 years earlier (could have prevented some scarring). No lasting side effects...none of my 4 children born looking like this ->

What I was told at the time, was that this drug causes the body's sabaceous glands to overproduce to the point of burning out. I do remember that right after starting to take it, my acne went from severe to out-of-control...due to the over production. Once the course was done, so was the horrible, permanently disfiguring acne. Don't wait until you're 36.

Not to be used for normal acne...only the disfiguring kind.

Unread 05-23-2012, 08:44 AM

459 posts, read 426,622 times
No diary! I have extremely oily skin. I recently had ACL surgery on my knee. I went vegan for the month to clear out my system from the anesthesia and pain killers. My skin on my face and back cleared up. I am no longer vegan but TRY to stay away from diary. My weakness is pizza with real cheese. Otherwise, I don't miss it!

Unread 07-27-2012, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 159 times
Well I'm sure these peoples acne will cheer you up OXY - Man Sized Problems - YouTube . Watching this will make you feel like you have clear skin .

Unread 07-27-2012, 09:08 PM

948 posts, read 758,313 times
I had an acne problem. OTC didn;t work and the prescription creams like Differn gel and Retinols were too harsh for my skin. My dermatologist recommended Refinity chemical peels. It worked! The peel is mild so you don't have terracotta red afterwards. When we started this protocol I had 3 @ six weeks intervals then pushed out to 2 @ 8 weeks then moved out to 3 months and now I only need them 2-3 times a year. It's 15 minutes in the dermatologists off and when I costed it out in the long run it's cheaper than prescription medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty