Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was debating on putting this topic between this forum or the health/wellness forum but I'll probably post on both since maybe some fashion/cosmetic products can help as well as health (foods,exercises etc).

Well, to make a long story short, I have probably the worst acne problem right now. Out of all my family and group of friends, I have the most pimples by far. It's so bad sometimes that random people whom I have an encounter with would mention it with no regard to how I would feel as if I didn't KNOW I have a friggin acne issue. People would say "Hey, what foods are you eating?", "What do you do for your acne?", "Are you having enough sex?" etc. I would get advice from people telling me how to take care of my acne without me even asking them for advice!

I've been suffering with this issue since I was about 15. It's so annoying and can sometimes lower my confidence! I tried so many methods and products but nothing seems to work. I eat right, I'm athletic, I don't eat stuff I am allergic to (Peanut butter, shrimps, etc), I don't touch my face with my hands a lot unless I am showering. Everything seems to be a temporary solution and then BAM pimples come back.

Its so bad that my pimples have personalities of their own. They must be working out or something because sometimes these pimples are rock hard. It's so annoying when pimples become the highlight of who I am sometimes.

It hasn't ruined my social life, has ruined my life or even ruin chances with the women that much but it definitely makes me feel insecure at times. It just seems to be TOO much. I went to a dermatologist and was told that it's my hormones and testosterone that's causing my acne on my face (I'm 25, I went through puberty a long time ago!).

Anyhow, I'm to the point where I would put on some make up concealer or something. So, anyone who has any tips on how I can conceal the redness without looking girly, I would appreciate it! Also, please give me advice on any products (if I tried it and didn't work, I'll let you know). Give me all the tips, advice, help you know and want! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, I was debating on putting this topic between this forum or the health/wellness forum but I'll probably post on both since maybe some fashion/cosmetic products can help as well as health (foods,exercises etc).

Well, to make a long story short, I have probably the worst acne problem right now. Out of all my family and group of friends, I have the most pimples by far. It's so bad sometimes that random people whom I have an encounter with would mention it with no regard to how I would feel as if I didn't KNOW I have a friggin acne issue. People would say "Hey, what foods are you eating?", "What do you do for your acne?", "Are you having enough sex?" etc. I would get advice from people telling me how to take care of my acne without me even asking them for advice!

I've been suffering with this issue since I was about 15. It's so annoying and can sometimes lower my confidence! I tried so many methods and products but nothing seems to work. I eat right, I'm athletic, I don't eat stuff I am allergic to (Peanut butter, shrimps, etc), I don't touch my face with my hands a lot unless I am showering. Everything seems to be a temporary solution and then BAM pimples come back.

Its so bad that my pimples have personalities of their own. They must be working out or something because sometimes these pimples are rock hard. It's so annoying when pimples become the highlight of who I am sometimes.

It hasn't ruined my social life, has ruined my life or even ruin chances with the women that much but it definitely makes me feel insecure at times. It just seems to be TOO much. I went to a dermatologist and was told that it's my hormones and testosterone that's causing my acne on my face (I'm 25, I went through puberty a long time ago!).

Anyhow, I'm to the point where I would put on some make up concealer or something. So, anyone who has any tips on how I can conceal the redness without looking girly, I would appreciate it! Also, please give me advice on any products (if I tried it and didn't work, I'll let you know). Give me all the tips, advice, help you know and want! Thanks!

First off, I just want to say that acne/ your appearance in general do not define you as a person. What matters is what kind of person you are on the inside. I know it must be extremely difficult and that your acne makes you feel, as you stated, "insecure", but keep your head up high and try to not let it affect you too much. Things will get better.

Now, I am a male teen (19 years old) and while I was fortunate enough not to suffer from acne, one of my cousins (about the same age as myself) had severe acne. Your post reminded me a lot of him. He, too, tried every product under the sun and nothing seemed to ever work for him. He went to three different dermatologists as well and it wasn't until the third one that he finally got some help. He had, and, by the sounds of your post, I think it's safe to say that you have acne vulgaris (or cystic acne). Cystic acne is the type of acne where the pimples are extremely rough and hard as you described in your post and are often extremely difficult to extract/pop. Anyways, what happened with him is that, the dermatologist (the third one who actually helped him) first prescribed him with some medicated cleansers and creams to use (his was only on his face). These only worked to a very limited extent on him. After a few months (I think about three), the results weren't really being produced so the dermatologist prescribed him Isotretinoin, or more commonly referred to as Accutane. Now, word of warning, Accutane is VERY strong and there are possibilities (I think very rare though) of some very serious side-effects. There have been numerous studies and much research done on this, as I'm sure you can find on the internet. The dermatologist sat down with my aunt, uncle, and cousin and talked over everything with them and my aunt and uncle had to a consent to allow my cousin to start taking the medicine. It sounds kind of silly perhaps, but it really is a very serious thing. Also, he had to go for monthly blood work to make sure everything was in order. If I remember correctly, he was on it for six months (I actually think that's the longest that one can be on it). Anyways, to cut to the conclusion, it worked miracles for him and his acne had disappeared by the end of the treatment and still is gone to this day (been off of it for about a year and a half now). Also, he didn't have any of the side-effects from taking the medication I'm glad to say.

So yeah, that's basically the story. The Accutane might be a little extreme, and it is normally the absolute last resort that many dermatologists will use with a patient, but if your case is that severe and nothing else seems to work then it might be a thought to consider and talk to your dermatologist about.

I truly hope that you find a solution to your problem and that you never have to deal with such a thing again. Keep your head up high. I wish you the absolute best of luck and I hope that this was at least somewhat helpful for you!

P.S. You might want to consider trying another dermatologist too.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Solid advice, except the whole hippie attitude "don't let it define you!" crap. Easier said than done, bub.

That's pretty much like saying to an overweight person, as an athletic stud, "You're beautiful on the inside! Don't let your overweight appearance define you!"

Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM

56 posts, read 45,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Solid advice, except the whole hippie attitude "don't let it define you!" crap. Easier said than done, bub.

That's pretty much like saying to an overweight person, as an athletic stud, "You're beautiful on the inside! Don't let your overweight appearance define you!"
It sounds trite but when you are stuck with something, even temporarily, it's the healthiest thing you can do. What is the alternative?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 AM

295 posts, read 554,729 times
c a dermatologist

Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 AM

239 posts, read 520,523 times
Have you tried antibiotics like tetracylcline? Not the topical type, but a pill you take every day. That's what worked for me. I took it for about a year and my acne was never as bad again. Still had some breakouts, but nothing like before.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
If you think about trying Accutane, do lots of research. I have read a lot about it, most people who have tried it appear to have great success without the apparent serious side effects being a big issue. However, it seems that years down the road, some people do experience very serious problems that have been linked to taking the drug. I mean like ten to 20 years later, liver damage, joint problems etc.
Do your homework and make an informed decision.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 AM

769 posts, read 1,006,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka4 View Post
It sounds trite but when you are stuck with something, even temporarily, it's the healthiest thing you can do. What is the alternative?
Lol, some people just aren't even worth it.....

Anyways, to get back to the topic....

Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Aloe gel treats the acne, kills the red and is oil free. You can also carry a visine bottle to drop on really red ones through the day. It works amazing. Sounds like you need to get a layer of dead skin off + something to treat it.

What exactly have you used?
Do you wash your bedding daily?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Try dabbing a bit of honey on the acne before you go to bed at night. It's a natural wound healer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty