Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,124,653 times

Advertisements

I'll spend maybe $15-$20, if that, on beauty per month. I'm pretty low-maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,684,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes they do. No one has to put chemicals or weaves in their hair (which I'm not against BTW). Some people look bad with natural hair because they don't take the time to care for their hair or they wear styles that do not suit their hair texture.

Well I will agree on styles and textures but If you ever played with a lot of ethnic hair (and some curly white girls too) you will find some people have really tight curls and loose mixed. It usually ends up falling flat and looking lumpy. Or they have hair that is prone to breakage no matter what they do and they have to keep it short or style it with extensions.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,565,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well I will agree on styles and textures but If you ever played with a lot of ethnic hair (and some curly white girls too) you will find some people have really tight curls and loose mixed. It usually ends up falling flat and looking lumpy. Or they have hair that is prone to breakage no matter what they do and they have to keep it short or style it with extensions.
I can attest to that. I'm a very white girl with messed up hair. Some of it is straight, some is wavy, some is pin curls and some is loose curls. 99% of the time it's up in a loose bun because it takes too much effort to tame it. If I wasn't going grey, I doubt I'd dye it either. Sometimes I wish I could still get away with shaving my head... Being an adult blows sometimes

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Hmmm. Most of the black women I work with wear their hair natural, and they are downright beautiful.
I don't have time to go natural (half of my friends are). Therefore I get relaxed/trimmed every 2-3 months. $120 each time.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM

251 posts, read 570,490 times
Not much.

I buy shampoo/conditioner
I use facewash and face lotion
I use $1 shave cream and disposable razors
cheap soap/bodywash

no nail polish
no makeup

haircuts twice a year.

On average: $100-130 a year

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
I'm a self employed janitor and I spend 65 bucks for a haircut every three months. I won't skimp on shampoo because bad shampoo screws up my hair. BUT -- I don't use a ton of shampoo either -- I shampoo every other day and use just enough to clean, not enough to get a whole head of lavish lather like on tv -- too drying on my hair. That saves me from having to use conditioner, which weighs heavily on my hair no matter how long I rinse and makes it so all the curl is gone and my hair goes flat.

So a 20 dollar bottle of shampoo lasts me a year. I have a small bottle of good conditioner for when I highlight until my hair doesn't need it anymore... 8 bucks -- I've had it for years. The only conditioner I like is the De Luxe Rosemary Mint conditioner from Drugstore.com -- no one else sells as far as I know -- it's very very light, and I use just a few drops and it spreads SO easily on my hair and calms it right down.

I do my own highlighting -- the cap kind -- pretty foolproof. About once every six months -- 10 bucks twice a year.

I love having a manicure and painted nails (favorite right now Essie's Muchi Muchi), but the only time I had a professional manicure it was SUCH a nightmare there's no way I'd ever do that again. I got talked into acrylics by a friend, and the manicurist used regular nail tips on my flat broad nails by pressing HARD HARD HARD, and then they tried to go back into their original shape, which hurt, and then I developed an allergy to the glue which burned like FIRE and blessfully BLISSFULLY about 4 hours after the searing pain started the nails started popping off and the whole nightmare was over in less than 24 hours. I did get two free hair cuts out of that fiasco.

So I do it myself. My trick? Do one hand at a time and let it pretty much dry before doing the other one and don't try to do it in front of the tv while you're on the phone. Lay your hand flat on a table and concentrate. You'll get better with practice.

And pedicures? Scared off of that from a having a friend get some nasty skin infection that wouldn't go away forever from a pedicure at a place with a badly cleaned footbath. No way -- I can take care of my own feet. That's Curel Foot Cream at 4 bucks a tube and that lasts three months. (Great heavy duty hand cream too.)

Essie seems to last a week for me with only a little wear at the tips. I use my hands a lot as a janitor to clean, and I clean my house and I do dishes a couple, three times a week (hubby does the rest of the days) so my hands get a workout..... and Essie hasn't failed me. So that's eight bucks a bottle. lasts a year or so. (although I did buy some blue frost Sally Hansen for my toes!

I prefer expensive makeup (except for mascara) -- but I don't use much. I use Tarte tinted moisturizer, Nars blush, and Loreal Mascara. The mascara gets replaced every three months. My lip color -- Burt's lip shimmers. Being here in California (a more casual atmosphere) and doing what we do, there's no need for a lot of fancy stuff, hubby loves me plain or made up, so I wear this stuff for me.

So if I add up all this stuff I spend about 40 bucks a month on self maintenance...

HOWEVER.... I also get a massage every two weeks. I think it's one of the reasons I can keep on being a janitor at my age.... and that's 66 bucks a massage. Essentially a 143 bucks a month. Some might consider it part of self indulgence maintenance (if you consider makeup and nails self indulgent maintenance) but *I* don't. If I don't get worked on (and when she's doing it, it often isn't pleasant) I will lock up.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,535,576 times
Skincare/Cosmetics
Make up - I don't wear much make up, so I don't spend a lot on it. Approx. $65 per year.
Face creams - $200 per year
Body lotions & sunscreen - $10 every 6 mos
Facials - 3-4x per year - $80 per visit

Haircare
Haircut & deep conditioning every 4 months - $160 per visit
Hair products - $20 every 2 months

Manicure/Pedicure
I usually take care of my own nails & toenails. However for special occasions, I treat myself to a manicure. In the summer months I get my feet professionally done once a month.
- Six manicures per year - $8 per visit
- Three pedicures per year - $17 per visit
- Nail polish $6 every 3 months

Last edited by Pivot Point; 03-01-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,295,790 times
Quote:
Someone simply was questioning your priorities.
It's irrelevant as heck in this forum. It's like if I was asking how much your latest automobile cost in the Auto forum and someone asked me how much savings I had in the bank. It's a baiting, irrelevant question. If cars, beauty or fashion are held in such low esteem in your eyes, you don't have to be on sub forums where they are the center of discussion.

Quote:
Hmmm. Most of the black women I work with wear their hair natural, and they are downright beautiful.
I don't just wear my hair to look well kept or "beautiful", I wear it that way because that's what's acceptable in the places I work. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,295,790 times
LMAO at non-black women telling black women what they should or should not be doing with their hair...

So condescending.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,254,740 times
I keep me clean and brush my hair + teeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty