Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times

Advertisements

<snipped>

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 03-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Compassionate Crocodile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
My phone quite nicely tell me the time. Why do I need to wear a watch?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,150 times
I like watches.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Curious as to home many men and women wear watches as an accessory nowadays. It saddens me to see the next generation of young professionals ditching quality timepieces in favor of digital Casio's and alike.

I think watches make a great accessory particularly for men who are really limited in the type of accessories that are socially acceptable in a white-collar environment.

What do you all think?
I agree. Watches are fashion accessories as well as tools, for both men and women. I've always worn higher end mechanical watches in the office (or pretty much anywhere else). They're useful, but they are mostly for appearance, and for status especially when you're in the upper ranks. I always notice when men aren't wearing a watch. It seems pretty common for young guys not to wear one at all.

I never leave the house without a watch, usually my GMT Master, which is really useful when I change time zones (which is often). I wear one in the pool, in the ocean, shooting, sailing, mountain biking, everywhere. They show the wear, but I'm OK with that because I like wearing them. I feel naked without one.

Last edited by 43north87west; 03-07-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,334 times
I've got a Sinn EZM 3, a Speedmaster, Fortis Stratoliner & Oris Atelier that I wear because I'm old school & don't want to bother pulling out my cumbersome Blackberry all the time. Right now watches have become a big fashion/jewelry thing for 30-something guys. So many of my friends have BreitBling's, Rolex's & Panerai's... it's kinda obnoxious in the same way that older guys used to wear gold roped chains back in the 80's. If i could afford it, I'd definitely get a Zenith, Hublot, or BP 50 Fathoms!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
How is a Rolex or Panerai more "obnoxious" than your Speedie or a Hublot/Zenith/BP? I get the "BreitBling" annoyance a bit, but there are some Breits that I love - usually the more subdued models, however.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times
My goal is to get a Rolex Sub, no date, and pre extra text and wear it either with a NATO strap or the bracelet, depending what it comes with. It was good for James Bond, right?

For now I will just stick to my Swiss Army with a olive green NATO.

I inherited my grandfathers TT air king and I have been in love with Rolex ever since. I don't wear it often though, because it from the early 1980s and had the raised crystal face. That damn thing hits everything you walk by. It had a TT bracelet but I have been wearing it with a leather strap, I feel it looks more formal.

Extra points if the watch strap, belt, and shoes match!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Curious as to home many men and women wear watches as an accessory nowadays. It saddens me to see the next generation of young professionals ditching quality timepieces in favor of digital Casio's and alike.

I think watches make a great accessory particularly for men who are really limited in the type of accessories that are socially acceptable in a white-collar environment.

What do you all think?

For years, I wore nice watches that would go with dress-up shirts really well. My most recently-bought watch is, admittedly, a little less formal (and, yet, still reasonably nice), but it's definitely not digital. I prefer analog watches with the big hand and the little hand. As it is, I've always loved timepieces. The watch is very much a part of my repertoire, but then, I'd die if I didn't know what time it was.

Chances are, my next watch will be either a Seiko or a Timex, but the one I have now (a Fossil) should last a few years.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 AM

49 posts, read 135,367 times
For men there are three things they should care of: belt, shoes and watch. I totally agree with ones mentioned before that a watch is a part of your wardrobe. A different style requires a different watch. Don't get messed with wearing Breitling with a tux or Cartier with a polo and loafers.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,250 times
ilove watches and collect them and alsowear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty