U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM

17,329 posts, read 12,275,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Some years ago I decided I wanted a nice watch as an accessory, did quite an extensive research, and ended up buying a Citizen Eco Drive. Itís two-toned, with little diamonds on the face. Itís also solar-powered, so I donít have to worry about batteries. Itís my only watch and I love it. I searched for it for a few months right before I met my last husband and I often joke that had I spent the same amount of time on getting to know the ex, I mightíve made a better choice. The watch is great, still with me, and it might be with me forever!

I donít see why anybody should feel guilty about wearing something nice he can afford (referring to a comment of yours above).
I want one of these, but I haven't seen a face that is my style quite yet. (I like contemporary, simple, sleek and plain faces.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,961,867 times
I have metal sensitivities and haven't yet met a watch that didn't make me break out in a rash.

I've noticed that when I ask someone wearing a watch what time it is, they pull out their phone.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM

4,487 posts, read 10,262,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I just know I would lose it if I spent money on a darn watch. I know it! I know it! I know it! LOL

definitely can't afford ones worth insurance either.
I guess that's why I didn't fret when buying a more expensive watch...I have it insured under my homeowner's policy! If I ever (God forbid) lose it, I'm not out all the money I paid for it.

The majority of higher-end watches will hold their value as well especially considering how often these companies raise their prices!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,905,303 times
I like analog watches on leather bands. (Also rubber and fabric)

But I also like Casio digitals. They have a style of their own.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,754,058 times
I have a perfectly good clock/watch in my cellphone, so I don't see the point in wearing a watch. I wore them as a kid at times, but I never liked the sweat-band that always formed under the watch.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,367,770 times
I've usually worn a Seiko type (or similar) watch with a leather strap with a suit. It's necessary. Sometimes, during the weekends, I may not wear a watch and rely on the car's digital clock or the cell phone. That watch, relatively cheap, is the ONLY piece of jewelry I've ever had.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM

4,487 posts, read 10,262,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I have a perfectly good clock/watch in my cellphone, so I don't see the point in wearing a watch. I wore them as a kid at times, but I never liked the sweat-band that always formed under the watch.
Can I ask how old you are? I'm guessing under 30 with a response such as that.

A watch is much more than an instrument to tell time, it can be a piece of fine craftsmanship that can complement business attire or go with jeans and a tee.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,754,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Can I ask how old you are? I'm guessing under 30 with a response such as that.

A watch is much more than an instrument to tell time, it can be a piece of fine craftsmanship that can complement business attire or go with jeans and a tee.
I'm not really into fashion so for me a watch would be a practical thing. Actually I can admire nice watches and if someone gave me a Rolex or something I might wear it now and then, but if I have my phone that's just fine for me. I prefer not wearing anything around my wrists though, in general.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM

19,022 posts, read 14,502,640 times
There may have been an age in Neanderthal times when a device was necessary to clasp the wrist and show to the world that you're not dealing with an hour glass any more.

It's an unnecessary accessory, when time is present everywhere else, the road, the news tickers, tv, computer, shops, cell phones, iPods etc.,

Besides, they get in the way of cuffs. If it were French cuffs, the effect is compounded. They also seem to take the focus away from cufflinks, which is a necessary accessory.

They can also come across as "deliberately" flashy, and it can be avoided. Some people wear it. Some people don't. The very fact that those who don't wear it is on the rise is proof that it's a thing of the past and humanity has evolved farther.

If anything, I'll invest in one of those "Alice in Wonderland" watches which the rabbit pulls out. That would be cool.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM

17,329 posts, read 12,275,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

Besides, they get in the way of cuffs. If it were French cuffs, the effect is compounded. They also seem to take the focus away from cufflinks, which is a necessary accessory.
The other day I saw a guy in a more casual outfit with cufflinks on (sweater, button down, dress pants, and leather dress sneakers). I was totally excited, he was really stylish (and looked to be late 20s or so) so rare to see that. Especially in casual california -- where no one needs to wear a suit to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty