U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM

4,735 posts, read 3,613,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm just curious as to why you think a watch isn't appropriate at a black tie event?...

I believe the thought is that ANY visible timepiece detracts from the formality of the dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM

15,448 posts, read 9,544,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I try a V-neck full sweater on a french cuff shirt some Fridays. It can look nice. Have to hit the right colour note and needs the right body. Colour combinations would go like a really pale blue french cuff shirt, azure blue V-neck and knotted cufflinks (this is where knotted cufflinks come in very handy, they all look like they are in unison, silver or crystal can be nice too) A woollen sports blazer to top this off.
Sounds like a good look. I don't see this enough where I live. Half the time you are lucky to see someone with a button down or a blazer. And don't get me started on the 40 year olds still trying to wear baggy, saggy pants (in CA this happens across all ethnic groups -- black, latino, asian and white). You are too old for this after 24.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM

2,118 posts, read 2,310,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Tom, that Hamilton is a stunner! Those field watches from Omega and Cyma aren't too shabby, either. Too bad all of those older/antique watches are so small. I simply can't force myself to wear anything under 40mm on my 7.5" wrist. To combat that, I have a vintage Hamilton pocketwatch movement being installed into a custom wristwatch case for me. I can't wait to get that baby strapped on!

Watches are certainly an "appearance" thing in a lot of circles, like a quality pen, briefcase and good shoes.

I simply like watches and enjoy the thought of having a tiny, well crafted, well designed machine strapped to my wrist.
7.5" wrists from crossfit, haha.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM

LOL @ the CrossFit stuff.

Dude, I'm 6'4", if I had anything smaller than 7" wrists, I think my hands would snap off.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,121,383 times
Quote:
I believe the thought is that ANY visible timepiece detracts from the formality of the dress.
I've always felt this way which is why wearing a watch has never been of much interest to me being that I'm a person who dresses up 90% of the time. The look of a watch on my wrist gives me the impression that it would ruin the classiness of my attire.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Shysister, are you wearing evening gowns all the time?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,121,383 times
Quote:
lol no not evening gowns but nice dresses with heels and I just feel that watches aren't appropriate unless its one of those dainty watches that I happen to think are a waste. So I really don't know if a watch is really for me... I am taking a liking to white ceramic band watches, what is your opinion on those?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Those ceramics are pretty popular right now. I think they look nice in certain situations. Perhaps not an "everyday" watch, though.

If you don't think a watch looks appropriate with what you're wearing on a given day, you're probably right.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,267,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm just curious as to why you think a watch isn't appropriate at a black tie event? Granted I try to avoid as many of these type of places as possible but when I feel compelled to attend, I'm always sporting my Datejust. Just curious, to each their own.

Something I tend to notice with the older guys at my firm is that they wear a gold watch on their left arm and on their right, they sport a gold chain bracelet. My dad does this as well. Is this a new trend or something?

I hope not!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,267,797 times
Quote:

Now that gave me a good laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty