Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

Curious as to home many men and women wear watches as an accessory nowadays. It saddens me to see the next generation of young professionals ditching quality timepieces in favor of digital Casio's and alike.

I think watches make a great accessory particularly for men who are really limited in the type of accessories that are socially acceptable in a white-collar environment.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
My watch isn't an accessory. It's a vital part of my wardrobe. I never leave the house without it. Mine isn't the highest end watch, but it is a Citizen with a leather band. I'm finding it harder and harder to find replacement bands that fit, but I dislike metal bands. I might have to take the plunge and go ahead and buy a nice woman's watch with a metal band soon though. *sigh*

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I wear mine as an accessory. Not everyday. I need a new watch that I don't have to worry about scratching -- still looking for the right one.

I bought a higher end watch and am disappointed with the quality. I hardly wear it, and the I have lost screws 3 within 2 years of owning it. Total waste of money. My current dress watch was just a basic department store brand with a metal band that looks cool without being too masculine and overpowering my hand.

I have a friend who is an avid watch collector, and he has the most amazing watches. It is like a special club if you notice someone's watch these days. Most 20 somethings thing watch = cell phone.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I love cheap watches and ones that have links that look like bracelets (smallfaced) in silver.

My current cheapy favorite is a rubber slap watch. It just looks like a rubber cuff with a plain blackface. I found it on clearance at an old navy. My favorite cheap bracelet one I got at a walmart for 3 bucks and it just looks like a silver band bracelet. I always get asked where I got it.

I have been wearing a lot of 3/4 sleeve shirts and I just really like the way they look with watches or bracelets. Or BOTH!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Curious as to home many men and women wear watches as an accessory nowadays. It saddens me to see the next generation of young professionals ditching quality timepieces in favor of digital Casio's and alike.

I think watches make a great accessory particularly for men who are really limited in the type of accessories that are socially acceptable in a white-collar environment.

What do you all think?
I'm an 18 year old male and I wear watches for both formal and informal events. I like Movados and I also own a G-shock for when I am working out. I'm not into those ugly, cheap watches that are sold at skater stores and other young people stores.

Style's a big thing for me and I think wearing the right watch definitely helps compliment a nice outfit.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
My watch is certainly an accessory, but like my wedding ring, it is part of my everyday wardrobe.

That being said, I have a number of watches in different styles and colors and will pick my watch for the day depending on my outfit. Currently I am wearing a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck watch which is a sort of camel color and matches my belt/ jewelry.

My husband is the same-- has multiple watches and changes them depending on what he's wearing that day.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
My watch is certainly an accessory, but like my wedding ring, it is part of my everyday wardrobe.
This reminded me of my parents. In addition to their wedding rings, they also got matching watches to go along with their wedding jewelry.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I wear mine as an accessory. Not everyday. I need a new watch that I don't have to worry about scratching -- still looking for the right one.

I bought a higher end watch and am disappointed with the quality. I hardly wear it, and the I have lost screws 3 within 2 years of owning it. Total waste of money. My current dress watch was just a basic department store brand with a metal band that looks cool without being too masculine and overpowering my hand.

I have a friend who is an avid watch collector, and he has the most amazing watches. It is like a special club if you notice someone's watch these days. Most 20 somethings thing watch = cell phone.
What brand of watch did you purchase that wasn't up to quality standards?? I'd definitely let the manufacturer know about your disappointment, many times high-end makers will attempt to fix the problem and/or offer you a discount on a different watch.

I'm somewhat of a collector, I have a VERY small collection of watches but if I had the financial resources, I'd expand my collection. My collection includes a couple Rolexes, Breitling, few other less expensive brands. I love my SS Submariner, definitely one of my favorite ones to wear on a daily basis and can be mismatched with different outfits.

I'd really like to see more young people wearing watches instead of just relying on their cell phone. I almost feel naked when I don't have a watch on, it feels strange to me anymore!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
Quote:
What brand of watch did you purchase that wasn't up to quality standards?? I'd definitely let the manufacturer know about your disappointment, many times high-end makers will attempt to fix the problem and/or offer you a discount on a different watch.
Agreed. Definitely go back.

Quote:
I'm somewhat of a collector, I have a VERY small collection of watches but if I had the financial resources, I'd expand my collection. My collection includes a couple Rolexes, Breitling, few other less expensive brands. I love my SS Submariner, definitely one of my favorite ones to wear on a daily basis and can be mismatched with different outfits.

I'd really like to see more young people wearing watches instead of just relying on their cell phone. I almost feel naked when I don't have a watch on, it feels strange to me anymore!
You sound like my husband. He's a collector and over the past few years has built up a (small) collection of nice watches. He favors IWC, Breitling, and Mont Blanc. Watches are a classic accessory IMO.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Agreed. Definitely go back.

You sound like my husband. He's a collector and over the past few years has built up a (small) collection of nice watches. He favors IWC, Breitling, and Mont Blanc. Watches are a classic accessory IMO.

Rolex watches are considered "jewelry with a built-in clock".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty