Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with very dry skin particularly legs,as i need to apply a substantial amount i was wondering if olive oil is a good moisturizer? or some other product,Vaseline? Have used Aveeno in the past but its expensive and doesnt last very long..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
While I am generally a Dr. Perricone user, it gets quite expensive. Instead, I have been using Boots No. 7, which I get at Target. The day cream has an SPF and the night cream is very moisturizing. I also use argon oil.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I use Eucerin. I don't like olive oil (strongly fragranced) but I use it in my hair. Try extra virgin coconut oil (getting from the grocery store in the cooking oil aisle). You could blend coco butter, coconut oil and olive oil, and I imagine that would be pretty amazing.

Sadly, if you have that sort of dry skin you kinda have to get used to paying more for your skin care. I have tried every cheaper lotion and they all suck. I had OK luck with the Jergens naturals, but over time it wasn't so effective.

Vaseline doesn't work very well for me but my parents swear by it. I only use it on my knees and elbows. Coconut oil causes break outs for me on my skin with extended use, so I only use it on my hair.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
I was going to recommend Jergens also and you can apply the olive oil first then layer with Jergens shea butter lotion.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
All of my dermatologists have recommended cetaphil lotion and soap. Not very expensive.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have a problem with very dry skin particularly legs,as i need to apply a substantial amount i was wondering if olive oil is a good moisturizer? or some other product,Vaseline? Have used Aveeno in the past but its expensive and doesnt last very long..
I have dry skin, also, and what I found is that a thick lotion like Aveeno doesn't spread easily on my skin, and I ended up using a lot, which didn't feel good on my skin -- made me feel waxy and coated up.

So I switched to Nivea Skin Firming CoQ10 lotion. It's thin, and one pump does both my arms and shoulders, one pump a leg and butt cheek and a little bit more to hit my back. So the pump sized bottle lasts me several months.

Does it firm? I think all lotions applied to damp skin seal in the water and keep your skin plumped up, so they look firmer... but as to some claims in reviews about upper arms being less jiggly and boobs perking up? Get real.

I don't use this on my face -- and I only use it after a shower, because it's pretty strongly (but pleasantly) scented, and the scent seems to fade (very quickly) after a shower -- used on dry skin the strong scent lingers -- and I don't like strong scents.

On my face I use CeraVe -- I use the facial one, which is more expensive, but it has niacinimide stuff in it that's good for my rosacea face.... the big bottle lotion one is a dollar or two more for three times the product and is great for faces -- no scent and moisturizes great.

I'm sure you know to take warm showers, not hot, and to drink plenty of water, and eat good fats to help you moisturize from within, too.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I have had good success with the Nivea lotions as well (not the creme).

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
All of my dermatologists have recommended cetaphil lotion and soap. Not very expensive.
Yes, my Dermatologist does too. I like Cetaphil lotion for hand washing but it's pricy to me (I guess I wash my hands a lot!).

I also discovered by accident the Vanicream line. Get the cream, not the lotion as it has less water content. The less water the better it moisturizes. Also, make sure your moisturizer is unscented as I've been told by more than one Dermatologist that fragrance can really aggravate dry skin and make it worse.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM

253 posts, read 558,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm guessing you are wanting a body moisturizer?? Vaseline works very well and olive oil is a great natural moisturizer, when you get out of the shower rub (very well) a tablespoon of olive oil into your skin. Palmer's cocoa butter works great as well and everything I've suggested is cheap and should no be used on the face unless you like the shiny look

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The best all-around moisturizer I have ever used is shea butter, followed by cocoa butter. I'd steer clear of petroleum products like Vaseline, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty