Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
It's quite amazing that you're almost 60 and only now starting to notice a couple of signs. It sounds like you've taken excellent care of your skin, and perhaps inherited some good genes, too.

Thinning hair is a hard one for women. I know women who've been dealing with that for a while. But at least you can work with it by wearing different hairstyles or wearing extensions and hairpieces. Some of them are so good that if I didn't know the person was wearing them I never would have guessed. Oprah did a show a long time ago about hair loss in women and the extensions and wigs they wore. Absolutely beautiful. It's amazing how many celebrities (even the young ones in their 20s) wear these aids to give them a mane of hair.

I wonder where you buy the wigs or hairpieces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
My first signs of aging was my eyes, the upper eyelids have tended to droop a little. I've been considering plastic surgery on them, but I'm such a chicken! My skin is in great ship, I have no wrinkles or crows feet around my eyes. I'm in my early 50's. I stay out of the sun. The other issue I have is thinning hair which really stinks. I use to have such thick hair...not anymore. All I can say is folks...exterior beauty doesn't last forever, so really be mindful and take good care of what is on the inside.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I have started to develop those lines that radiate from the eyes to the temple, etc.
Those are crow's feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I tell myself there's no magic cream out there. Look at the rich, famous celebrities who could buy anything they want and they are wrinkled.

I have also noticed when changes occur to the face, it does happen rapidly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I got rid of my crows feet around my eyes eyes by using Olay's anti-wrinkle cream for mature skin. It comes in a small white jar with a black top. I use it every night.
Marylee, don't stop believing. lol

Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I wonder where you buy the wigs or hairpieces?
Where do you live? I know of a couple of places in NYC.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarfast View Post
Hello.

Shaved my face so that it was a smoooooth as can be and went on a 'wander' for 2 weeks. Didn't look in a mirror once while i was away and on return discoverd i'd grown a perfect, dice sized square of pure white hair to the right and below my bottom lip.

I was 30.
Interesting. I've heard stories about people who go to sleep with their normal hair color, and wake up to find it turned all white overnight. But that's usually due to some kind of shock.

My mother tells me that when she was a little girl, her uncle died tragically. A couple of days later, the family went to visit the 36-year-old widow, my mom's aunt. Everyone's jaw dropped to see that her long black hair had turned completely white. She said that she woke up the day after hearing that her husband had died and found her all her hair had turned white.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 534 times
I haven't seen the responses I hoped to see. My google search was " sudden appearance of jowls". Mine came overnight. I was 48 and in my fourth year of menopause. That same morning I wad experiencing discomfort in my jaws and my tight ear. I had my doctor test me for Mumps. Two years later I'm told my ear issue was allergy related. I still have jowls. A week ago is saw my double chin, while looking down at my phone. Many changes do appear overnight. I blame menopause for all negative changes. Lack of periods and a new focus on self are the only positive changes. I'm 50.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I think I felt I could really tell I was getting older in my 50s. That's when I began noticing that awful line from nostril to mouth. That line has now become a deep wrinkle. Until then, I seemed to look much the same except when I gained or lost weight. That always affected my face as well as my waistline.

And now there is a horrible saggy chin to go with the awful deep wrinkle.

I do have very light lines around my eyes and in my forehead, but they aren't as noticeable unless I am in harsh light or am really tired.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:29 AM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
My natural hair color (very dark) went first. I was dark gray by 30, although I kept coloring my hair for twenty more years. Eight years after I last colored it, it's now completely silver, thick, and grows very fast.

I don't have any lines on my face (yet), but the other day I noticed a softness in my eyelids that was never there before. That happened overnight. Soon they'll start drooping no doubt. No jowls (yet), but a new softness in my jawline that matches the new soft skin on my eyelids. Drat.

After a childhood and adolescence in blissful ignorance of what sun does to your skin--we would lay out in the sun frying our skin under a coating of Bain de Soleil or even baby oil with iodine in it--I was careful about sun exposure. A big influence was a friend of my mother's who was vain about freckling and kept her skin under cover with hats and long sleeves. Her skin was milky white and her face and arms looked 20 years younger than those of her friends.

Aging: it beats the alternative.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:39 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times
35 next month and nothing--yet. Other than some grey hairs, but I've had those since high school. However, I also didn't let any sun or UVA/UVB rays hit my face or body until I was around 25, without serious sunscreen. I just had this convo with my derm and aesthetician, since my friends are all obsessed with botox, etc--and neither of them see a need for it or anything besides facials and occasional peels.

I definitely look older than I did a few years ago--but not aged, if that makes sense. Also, people--male and female--often are surprised when I tell them I am 35, often mistaking me for 27-28. I literally had to show some dude my license, last week, to prove to him how old I am. My last boyfriend was a little over 2 years younger than me, and all his friends thought I was 24/25 when we first started dating.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I had two "overnight" aging sessions. The first at 45 when I was shocked to see I had a sagging neck. I guess I had never been at the angle to see it until I was putting on a man's tie. I was so mortified I went right out to plastic surgeons and ended up getting the full face-lift. The next week I was dating a 30 year old, LOL.

Fast forward to age 61 and the stress of several huge life events in one year caused instant aging. But, as someone else said, eyesight deteriorates along with it, so without a magnifying mirror I can barely tell since I no longer have to wear make-up. Unless I opt for a re-lift, I will just avoid mirrors!

One funny thing is that my hair (always fine and thin) is so damaged now, it poofs out around my face in a semi-halo so it looks way thicker than it is! Look on the bright side, huh.

Crows feet look nice, I think. Shows you smile a lot. What I hate are frown lines between the eyes. I had specific surgery for that and it didn't work. No one wants to look mad in their "resting face".

The "parenthesis" lines are unfortunate, but seems they aren't that related to age. I've seen them on all age groups. My husband, 62, has those and no other wrinkles.

What I hate are the aging arms and hands which are in my field of vision ALL THE TIME. Avoiding mirrors doesn't seem to help with that, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty