Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,887,208 times

Advertisements

I would call myself a pretty savvy consumer. I like to dress well but their are certain types of clothing I refuse to spend a lot of money on.

Having a 28-29" inseam and a 32" waist, its very hard to find pants without getting them hemmed so I stick to Gap or LL Bean for kakis and jeans. Dockers says you are only allowed to have a 29" inseam if your waist is over 34".. look like I will have to get fat.

Anyways, I have pretty much every color of polo oxford shirt (the one with the full color horse). I have picked them up at various places for good deals. Its a good go to shirt from weekend, to working, to wearing with a blazer and a prince Albert tie knot.

However, I feel like the shirts above are not appropriate for wearing with a suit. I have always preferred a Windsor knot and a cutaway/spread collar. The only problem? I can't ever find any decent looking ones that are under $100. I have looked all over. It seems like American like collars with narrow openings.

When I traveled in Europe, I really liked the look of the cutaway with a double button worn without a tie. Again, I have had not luck finding that here without spending over $100. I don't want to come off sounding cheap, because I have bought these shirts for the price. I was just wondering if there are cheaper alternatives out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,641,465 times
I saw dress shirts for 44 bucks in brooks brothers. Slim, steel slim, classic and regular fit.

Calvin Klein.

Charles Tyrwhitt.

Paul Frederick.

All of them online. Don't go to the store.

On the upside, I have a few Thomas Pink. My best fits thus far have been Brooks Brothers and Paul Frederick.

I keep buying shirts at these places only. All online, except Thomas Pink, I visit their store on 5th avenue.

Gap, BR, Eddie Bauer, Dockers all sell third grade material. It's awful.

This is on my wish list for now. Will move up soon.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id= 205&Product_Id=1604155&Parent_Id=207&default_color =PURPLE&sort_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sections ize= (broken link)

On pants, exclusively Calvin Klein and Brooks Brothers for now. I haven't experimented with others. I get W30 and have their tailor stretch it to W31. If you buy a suit, it's complimentary.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,887,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I saw dress shirts for 44 bucks in brooks brothers. Slim, steel slim, classic and regular fit.

Calvin Klein.

Charles Tyrwhitt.

Paul Frederick.

All of them online. Don't go to the store.

On the upside, I have a few Thomas Pink. My best fits thus far have been Brooks Brothers and Paul Frederick.

I keep buying shirts at these places only. All online, except Thomas Pink, I visit their store on 5th avenue.

Gap, BR, Eddie Bauer, Dockers all sell third grade material. It's awful.

This is on my wish list for now. Will move up soon.

Supima® Cotton Non-Iron Slim Fit Thick and Thin Check French Cuff Dress Shirt | Brooks Brothers (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id= 205&Product_Id=1604155&Parent_Id=207&default_color =PURPLE&sort_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sections ize= - broken link)

On pants, exclusively Calvin Klein and Brooks Brothers for now. I haven't experimented with others. I get W30 and have their tailor stretch it to W31. If you buy a suit, it's complimentary.
Thanks for the Charles Tyrwhitt. Right up my alley!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Thanks for the Charles Tyrwhitt. Right up my alley!
Had a similar problem when I first came to America. Wasted a lot of money with Gap, Banana Republic and such... and slowly found my way towards companies which make really good shirts true to their sizing.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,602,842 times
The cut & fabric of CT shirts are so on point. They're not cheap but definitely worth the splurge.

While I'm not a fan of spread collars, Theory & HUGO (red label of Hugo Boss) also make them and can be found at huge discounts at Nordstrom Rack. Boss Black also makes great slim-fitting dress shirts but by the time they hit the sales rack at Bloomingdale's all the smaller sizes are gone.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,382,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would call myself a pretty savvy consumer. I like to dress well but their are certain types of clothing I refuse to spend a lot of money on.

Having a 28-29" inseam and a 32" waist, its very hard to find pants without getting them hemmed so I stick to Gap or LL Bean for kakis and jeans. Dockers says you are only allowed to have a 29" inseam if your waist is over 34".. look like I will have to get fat.

Anyways, I have pretty much every color of polo oxford shirt (the one with the full color horse). I have picked them up at various places for good deals. Its a good go to shirt from weekend, to working, to wearing with a blazer and a prince Albert tie knot.

However, I feel like the shirts above are not appropriate for wearing with a suit. I have always preferred a Windsor knot and a cutaway/spread collar. The only problem? I can't ever find any decent looking ones that are under $100. I have looked all over. It seems like American like collars with narrow openings.

When I traveled in Europe, I really liked the look of the cutaway with a double button worn without a tie. Again, I have had not luck finding that here without spending over $100. I don't want to come off sounding cheap, because I have bought these shirts for the price. I was just wondering if there are cheaper alternatives out there.
A friend of mine told me about the men's shirts at Express. He says they fit fantastic and don't cost a lot of money. He is a slim guy who usually buys Ralph Lauren shirts and has them altered to fit him. The shirts have a slim European fit that look great with a suit and tie.

You should go check them out this weekend.

Or. There's also Joseph A. Bank. They're online. http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/dress-shirts

Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,727,547 times
I would second the recommendation for finding sales at Brooks Brothers. One of the best shirts you can buy off the rack without going custom.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM

Sharing from my CT collection. The pink hair stripe looks more appealing in real.

The biggest pain with these shirts is to have them dry-cleaned professionally. This is NOT going into the conventional washer. Heartbreak for the crocodile.

http://www.ctshirts.com/ProImages/FN072PNK.jpg

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 03-09-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,387,888 times
I buy Brooks Bros. They are always right to wear. No waste. So you come out ahead.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,747,394 times
Go to Nordstrom Rack. You can visit Nordstrom first, try on the brands to find your favorites. Then go to the Rack (their outlet) and know your size. Super deals on high-end clothing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty