U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,500,924 times

Advertisements

I love wearing fur. Where do you buy yours an how do you take care of yours.

I have noticed Canada has some of the best prices an more so in the off season.

I store mine in the summer but noticed with a beaver coat, not a good idea to wear in rain or snow. It lost its luster.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
I love wearing fur. Where do you buy yours an how do you take care of yours.

I have noticed Canada has some of the best prices an more so in the off season.

I store mine in the summer but noticed with a beaver coat, not a good idea to wear in rain or snow. It lost its luster.

If your fur gets wet you should take it to whoever cleans it right away. How did you dry it? I wouldn't wear it again. Getting it wet like that can make the hair and stitching fall out.

I don't wear fur anymore but I had fur as a kid and my mother still wears her fox when its really cold. Her coats are OLD and still look great but she was always really good about not letting it get wet and would take it to a fur storage place in the summer that controls heat and humidity.

She used to have more coats but sold them off. The fox she keeps because its so warm and her favorite. Some of her were gifts from a local furrier from my father. I have no idea how much they were. Some were gifts from friends that trapped and made coats. The fox is one of them and was made by an old friend of hers. It took her a couple years of trapping but it was a 40th birthday present. That thing has is almost 25 years old. What I noticed in my mother's fur collection that wild caught fur seems to just look better and hold up better.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM

thanks for the info.

I just hung it up an let the beaver dry. I did not get it cleaned I have never had any of my furs cleaned i do put them in cold storage. Sometimes you can't prevent getting them wet when you live in lets say NYC it rains and snows sometimes you can't rely on the reports. the furs or stiching did not come out but the fur did lose its luster.

I will look into cleaning my furs thank you for all your info

Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
thanks for the info.

I just hung it up an let the beaver dry. I did not get it cleaned I have never had any of my furs cleaned i do put them in cold storage. Sometimes you can't prevent getting them wet when you live in lets say NYC it rains and snows sometimes you can't rely on the reports. the furs or stiching did not come out but the fur did lose its luster.

I will look into cleaning my furs thank you for all your info

I know...and its not like you can walk around with giant golf umbrellas either.
It probably just needs conditioning from the cleaners. I am going to assume you shook it out first too to get rid of the extra water. Just don't try to brush it at all.

Random idea...what about getting on of those cheapy clear pocket ponchos?
Just toss it in your purse for next time. Just don't leave the plastic on the coat afterwards. They need to breathe. Plastic storage = bad

Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 AM

you have me LOL an LMAO an ROFLMAO.......... maybe run and get me some garbage bags and toss them in my pocket lol .......... again thank you for the advise.. I got rid of the beaver. have a few other furs still but am much more careful and now that I live in Aruba and have less rain or cold

Last edited by SUPERCHIC; 03-14-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
you have me LOL an LMAO an ROFLMAO.......... maybe run and get me some garbage bags and toss them in my pocket lol .......... again thank you for the advise.. I got rid of the beaver. have a few other furs still but am much more careful and now that I live in Aruba and have less rain or cold

LOL....Now all I can think of is this high end lady running around in a big puffy trash bag..hahahhaha....good fun funny image for the day.

You're silly. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty