U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 AM

15,991 posts, read 9,019,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Pardon me, but I missed the message from the fashion industry that said "Women are only beautiful when they're starving themselves." No, it does not promote an "unhealthy body image". It promotes thin young women just as bodybuilding competitions promote extremely muscular women. If an individual attempts to achieve that image by unhealthy means, that is not the fault of the industry but a problem to be addressed with the individual.
I disagree with your. I do think they promote an unnatural, unhealthy, unfeminine image of women. And I think one of the reasons for that is that most fashion is still designed by homosexual men, who of course have no sense for what natural, healthy women should look like.
Bodybuilding is also different as bodybuilders look so ugly and absurd that they strike everyone as being unnatural and far from the ideal. They are also very rare, I never see any of them anywhere in the public. With very slim women in ads that is not the case, they are everywhere in commercials etc., so young girls might get the idea they should look like that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,217,957 times
Quote:
Pardon me, but I missed the message from the fashion industry that said "Women are only beautiful when they're starving themselves." No, it does not promote an "unhealthy body image". It promotes thin young women just as bodybuilding competitions promote extremely muscular women. If an individual attempts to achieve that image by unhealthy means, that is not the fault of the industry but a problem to be addressed with the individual.
May I ask if you're a man or woman? How old you are? What your experience is with eating disorders, firsthand, secondhand or otherwise? I'm not asking to be snide, by any means, but understanding people's backgrounds can help understand where they're coming from. If you don’t feel comfortable sharing, that’s quite understandable.

Each person is fully entitled to their own opinion, and I encourage differing views. However, anyone who missed the message from the fashion industry that said women are only beautiful when they're starving themselves, may possibly not own a tv, read fashion magazines, watch runway shows, etc. And that may very well be the case for you. I don't know.

I agree that eating disorders need to be addressed on the individual level, however, modeling, similarly to other industries such as gymnastics, ballet, etc. commonly encourage an unhealthy body image. I am speaking firsthand. Hence, the recent efforts by many to put an end to that cycle.

It's no different than pro-athletes being checked for steroid use, those that have contact with children undergoing background checks, accountants having their personal finances assessed prior to being hired, etc. An industry needs to watch itself for the safety of those in the industry, as well as those affected by their industry.

There are two things happening here:
#1 An industry (one of a few) that encourages an unhealthy body image.
#2 A society that is rampant with eating disorders, for various reasons, not just due to one industry.

As for #1:
The efforts addressed in this article will help, to at least some degree, encourage a healthier weight for models. Will it end eating disorders (since so many with a healthy weight can still have an eating disorder)? No. Is it a small step in the right direction? Absolutely.

As for #2:
The reasons for people outside of an industry that encourages an unhealthy body image such as modeling, ballet, gymnastics, etc., in my experience, are typically far more complex than a person seeing a model and wishing to be like them.

Not that there aren’t a large number of people that that is the case for, but in my personal experience, a disorder often can stem from trauma or abuse (which means even if every model/celebrity were a healthy weight, a person could still develop an eating disorder).

However, having models and other role models at a healthy weight, not only benefits that model's/person’s life, it gives others looking up to them a healthy role model to look up to, as well.

Then, if we could tackle stopping abuse before it happens, that affects some who develop eating disorder as a result of trauma, I believe the world would be a healthier place.

Until that day, each little step helps. And I encourage any step in the right direction.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 AM

5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Quote:

Exactly. And anyway...like you said..it really solves nothing with eating disorder issues. Most people with bulimia are a normal weight but its just as dangerous if not more dangerous than anorexia.

And all you curves lovers that think that is the picture of health. Maybe you should review "the barbie twins" lifestyle.

Bulimics:

Moderator cut: image removed

Source: 30 Famous People Who Have Suffered From Bulimia

There is a list of 30 people in that link.
But I just had to share the visual to prove what BS this crap is based on weight alone. Its habits and conditions that should be reviewed. Weight is only one tool to see where the entire picture of the person's health is at.

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Exactly. And anyway...like you said..it really solves nothing with eating disorder issues. Most people with bulimia are a normal weight but its just as dangerous if not more dangerous than anorexia.

And all you curves lovers that think that is the picture of health. Maybe you should review "the barbie twins" lifestyle.

Bulimics:

Source: 30 Famous People Who Have Suffered From Bulimia

There is a list of 30 people in that link.
But I just had to share the visual to prove what BS this crap is based on weight alone. Its habits and conditions that should be reviewed. Weight is only one tool to see where the entire picture of the person's health is at.
It's not a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction in at least sending the message that, not only do they no longer encourage an unhealthy weight that they once encouraged, they are at least trying, with the tools they do have, to not allow it either.

Trying to detect a bulimic is more difficult than detecting an anorexic. So, are you saying throw the baby out with the bath water? Let's not help one, if we can't help both?

You're not going to be able to save everyone. But, they're saving more by making an effort, than if they made no effort at all, and just continued to accept the industry as it is - which is a mess, from even 60 years ago.

I love how everyone cried and complained when models, celebrities, athletes, etc. began getting too thin. Now that someone makes even the smallest efforts to help bring about change, people are poo pooing that, too. I suppose there will always be a sourpuss or two in the bunch. No solution is perfect. But every effort helps more than no effort at all.

Lighten up, and see the good that is in the article.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Gee, that woman is so ugly, I guess I just got eye cancer

Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
It's not a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction in at least sending the message that, not only do they no longer encourage an unhealthy weight that they once encouraged, they are at least trying, with the tools they do have, to not allow it either.

Trying to detect a bulimic is more difficult than detecting an anorexic. So, are you saying throw the baby out with the bath water? Let's not stop one, if we can't stop both?

You're not going to be able to save everyone. But, they're saving more by making an effort, than if they made no effort at all, and just continued to accept the industry as it is - which is a mess, from even 60 years ago.

I love how everyone cried and complained when models, celebrities, athletes, etc began getting too thin. Now that someone makes even the smallest efforts to help bring about change, people are poo pooing that, too. I suppose there will always be sourpuss or two in the bunch. No solution is perfect. But every effort helps more than no effort at all.

Lighten up, and see the good that is in the article.

If its so encouraging, then why are we a nation with an obesity epidemic that far outweighs the percentage of people with restrictive eating disorders?

They (industry) DON'T encourage an unhealthy weight. These girls had a mental illness and went into an industry they should not have.

I think it promotes ignorance and downplays all other eating disorders. It also makes it seem glamorous and ignorant people would try to do the same things because it has been shown to be used by mentally ill people who are thin.

If they really cared, (which they don't, they just write these puff pieces for PR and getting names out there and also avoiding writing about real news.) they would have more useful information in these articles instead of just finger pointing and casting the blame on someone else.

If you go mentally ill because of a magazine picture....you were already there before you cracked that magazine open. Its ridiculous to blame fashion for a long standing mental illness that dates back before there were even glossy mags were in existence to influence you.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
If its so encouraging, then why are we a nation with an obesity epidemic that far outweighs the percentage of people with restrictive eating disorders?

They (industry) DON'T encourage an unhealthy weight. These girls had a mental illness and went into an industry they should not have.

I think it promotes ignorance and downplays all other eating disorders. It also makes it seem glamorous and ignorant people would try to do the same things because it has been shown to be used by mentally ill people who are thin.

If they really cared, (which they don't, they just write these puff pieces for PR and getting names out there and also avoiding writing about real news.) they would have more useful information in these articles instead of just finger pointing and casting the blame on someone else.

If you go mentally ill because of a magazine picture....you were already there before you cracked that magazine open. Its ridiculous to blame fashion for a long standing mental illness that dates back before there were even glossy mags were in existence to influence you.
Cancer only accounts for a certain percentage of our population, and far more people don't have cancer than do, so let us stop trying to correct that, too.

You are truly misinformed if you think models, celebrities, some athletes, etc. are not encouraged to be thin. It's challenging to have a discussion with someone who seems to know little about the topic.

As to your other comments, clearly you did not read my posts in their entirety.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Are obese people the ones susceptible to fashion and slim people in the media? By and large I don't think so, frankly.
Most people with such disorders were already slender before, but didn't realize it. There is a disconnect between mind and body.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Cancer only accounts for a certain percentage of our population, and far more people don't have cancer than do, so let us stop trying to correct that, too.

You are truly misinformed if you think models, celebrities, some athletes, etc. are not encouraged to be thin. It's challenging to have a discussion with someone who seems to know little about the topic.

As to your other comments, clearly you did not read my posts in their entirety.

Actually cancer is the #2 killer in the US....but that is another thread.
FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death

I worked in that industry. Have you? I have first hand knowledge of how all that crap works. A sick celeb/model is useless. They wouldn't waste time on encouraging something that is just going to be a waste of time and money and also damage their rep as a professional. I read your entire post. So unless you want to say something to bring to the discussion, cut it with the snarky comments about how I don't understand you.

Encouraged to be thin is not a bad thing when you are HEALTHY about it.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are obese people the ones susceptible to fashion and slim people in the media? By and large I don't think so, frankly.
Most people with such disorders were already slender before, but didn't realize it. There is a disconnect between mind and body.

I don't either. And its why I pointed it out.

I agree. Its called BDD:
Body dysmorphic disorder - MayoClinic.com

Common aspect of people with eating disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty