U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 1,217,957 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Actually cancer is the #2 killer in the US....but that is another thread.
FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death

I worked in that industry. Have you? I have first hand knowledge of how all that crap works. A sick celeb/model is useless. They wouldn't waste time on encouraging something that is just going to be a waste of time and money and also damage their rep as a professional. I read your entire post. So unless you want to say something to bring to the discussion, cut it with the snarky comments about how I don't understand you.

Encouraged to be thin is not a bad thing when you are HEALTHY about it.
Not surprising, your point about cancer avoids my question.

Which industry are you referring to? Many have been mentioned.

Have I modeled? Yes.
Have I been a ballet dancer a large part of my life? Yes.
Have I been a gymnast? Yes.
Have I spent 4 hours per day, 6 days per week around fellow athletes of all varieties at the local gym? Yes.
Have I had cancer (more than once)? Yes.
Have I lost most of my family to cancer? Yes.
Have I cared for cancer patients? Yes.
Have I survived an unusually lengthy eating disorder? Yes.
Have I overcome many forms of an eating disorder? Yes.
Have I come very close to death from an eating disorder? Yes.
Have I attended, as a patient and then as a counselor, one of the best eating disorder clinics in the country? Yes.

I would say I am very familiar with the topic. I wouldn't insert my views if I wasn't.

Your hostility isn't flattering, and is off-putting. You're also talking around the points. Luckily, C-D has an ignore feature, so this conversation can remain civil and productive.

I wish nothing but the best for you.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 1,159,574 times
Reputation: 1213
Default Israel's skinny model ban

Israel

Did I miss something here? Isn't a BMI of 18.5 still considered to be really thin? On top of that, it seems like if they are below 18.5, all they need is a doctor's note. How exactly is this going to change anything? Wouldn't it have been better if they forced them to have a BMI of around 21-24.9. That is still thin, but that atleast makes it more realistic.

P.S. Just so you know, I'm against the law. If women want to starve themselves to be thin, that is their problem. I also realize that there are women who are naturally thin, so this law seems like it singles them out also.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Not surprising, your point about cancer avoids my question.

Which industry are you referring to? Many have been mentioned.

Have I modeled? Yes.
Have I been a ballet dancer a large part of my life? Yes.
Have I been a gymnast? Yes.
Have I spent 4 hours per day, 6 days per week around fellow athletes of all varieties at the local gym? Yes.
Have I had cancer (more than once)? Yes.
Have I lost most of my family to cancer? Yes.
Have I cared for cancer patients? Yes.
Have I survived an unusually lengthy eating disorder? Yes.
Have I overcome many forms of an eating disorder? Yes.
Have I come very close to death from an eating disorder? Yes.
Have I attended, as a patient and then as a counselor, one of the best eating disorder clinics in the country? Yes.

I would say I am very familiar with the topic. I wouldn't insert my views if I wasn't.

Your hostility isn't flattering, and is off-putting. You're also talking around the points. Luckily, C-D has an ignore feature, so this conversation can remain civil and productive.

I wish nothing but the best for you.

Sure you do.


For others: I am going to answer these same questions to prove a point that its the individual and NOT the industry.


Which industry are you referring to? Many have been mentioned.

Have I modeled? Yes & photographer too. As well as makeup and production teams.

Have I been a ballet dancer a large part of my life? Not a large part of my life but when I was younger I did ballet. Don't see where this is about fashion at all. Its dance. Suggestion to be lightweight to do toe shoes also has a strict HEALTHY dietary guidance.

Have I been a gymnast?Ditto and see above. Same deal.

Have I spent 4 hours per day, 6 days per week around fellow athletes of all varieties at the local gym? No because I know it doesn't take 4 hours of gym work if you eat properly.

Have I had cancer (more than once)?No. Never.

Have I lost most of my family to cancer? Yes.

Have I cared for cancer patients? Yes.

Have I survived an unusually lengthy eating disorder? No. Didn't have to.

Have I overcome many forms of an eating disorder? If you say so but putting me on ignore is a sign of restricting relationships you don't have the coping mechanisms to deal with. You made a snarky comment and then blocked.

Have I come very close to death from an eating disorder?No

Have I attended, as a patient and then as a counselor, one of the best eating disorder clinics in the country? Didn't have to.

I would say I am very familiar with the topic. I wouldn't insert my views if I wasn't.

So as everyone can see. Its the individual. Not some group mass mind control conspiracy theory.
They write these things to pander to customers and increase sales. Its called "marketing", not "caring".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Eternal State of Confusion
7,262 posts, read 8,273,418 times
Reputation: 9382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Actually cancer is the #2 killer in the US....but that is another thread.
FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death

I worked in that industry. Have you? I have first hand knowledge of how all that crap works. A sick celeb/model is useless. They wouldn't waste time on encouraging something that is just going to be a waste of time and money and also damage their rep as a professional. I read your entire post. So unless you want to say something to bring to the discussion, cut it with the snarky comments about how I don't understand you.

Encouraged to be thin is not a bad thing when you are HEALTHY about it.
Can I ask what you did in the industry? To be more specific, what kind of model? Where? The industry in say PA is different than the industry in NYC & Milan if you catch my drift. (Meaning the pressure and expectations are dramatically different.)


Young girls standing at 5'10" and weighing less than 110lbs are told to drop weight. I have trouble comprehending that being done in a healthy way...it's not as if they're given a nutritionist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Can I ask what you did in the industry? To be more specific, what kind of model? Where? The industry in say PA is different than the industry in NYC & Milan if you catch my drift. L


Young girls standing at 5'10" and weighing less than 110lbs are told to drop weight. I have trouble comprehending that being done in a healthy way...it's not as if they're given a nutritionist.

Where?


I didn't live in PA at the time. I was living in NYC and L.A. and was suppose to go to Japan and Korea but dropped to go to school. I thought Japan/Korea at 19 was way too risky due to language barriers and dangers in that area. I was commercial and fashion. Yeh. I totally know what you mean about where you are matters. Its why I was going to go to those asian countries as my height would not pose such limitations as it does in other areas.

I did print, runway, hairshows, video wench.

I remember when I asked if I should lose at the time and they told me no because my measurement were fine. They were more concerned with keeping consistent measures and looking healthy. My agent in LA was always giving us healthy eating tips and menus. They were fine. I mailed them to my doctor just to make sure because they would always talk crap on the industry even back then. At the time my weight was 115ish and my height just under 5'6''. My measures were usually 33-34'' b&h and waist of 22''. The only weight comment that was ever made was not to gain weight or eat junk food because it makes you skin like crap and can bloat you.

Last edited by Opsimathia; 03-21-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 1,217,957 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Can I ask what you did in the industry? To be more specific, what kind of model? Where? The industry in say PA is different than the industry in NYC & Milan if you catch my drift.


Young girls standing at 5'10" and weighing less than 110lbs are told to drop weight. I have trouble comprehending that being done in a healthy way...it's not as if they're given a nutritionist.
+1

I am tall and was already 35lbs underweight, and was told to get thinner. That's not a healthy industry.

Oddly enough, my own personal situation, my disorder started when I began undergoing therapy for abuse I experienced as a young child. I believe, had I not underwent therapy before I was ready to deal with those memories, that I never would have developed the disorder in the first place (as for me, the disorder had everything to do with a feeling of control, and much less to do with weight - I already knew I was too thin, and didn't care for how thin I was). Having the disorder encouraged by so many outside factors, didn't help, though, and surely prolonged recovery for me, anyway.

Everyone has their own trigger (and there are many), and each person is completely different. That was just my personal experience.

Every day I try to use that experience to help others. I hope others that overcome it remember to do the same, as the best helping hand is the one from someone who has been there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
 
3,518 posts, read 2,778,171 times
Reputation: 5342
There's already a thread about this. And BMI is just a jumping off point, not a hard rule. My BMI has always been below "normal" but I have always been healthy. Models are selling clothes, not lifestyles, they shouldn't be forced to be any weight just to pander to a sensationalist media.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
+1

I am tall and was already 35lbs underweight, and was told to get thinner. That's not a healthy industry.

Oddly enough, my own personal situation, my disorder started when I began undergoing therapy for abuse I experienced as a young child. I believe, had I not underwent therapy before I was ready to deal with those memories, that I never would have developed the disorder in the first place. Having the disorder encouraged by so many outside factors, didn't help, though, and surely prolonged recovery for me, anyway.

Everyone has their own trigger (and there are many), and each person is completely different. That was just my personal experience.

Every day I try to use that experience to help others. I hope others that overcome it remember to do the same, as the best helping hand is the one from someone who has been there.

Sign of a bad therapist or being dishonest with a therapist. When you go through therapy like that you are suppose to tell them if you are experiencing any self destructive tendencies because its just what happens to everyone when they hit their coping limit.

And anyone who has a history of eating disorders should not be modeling or should quit if it crops up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,023 posts, read 13,767,354 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Where?


I didn't live in PA at the time. I was living in NYC and L.A. and was suppose to go to Japan and Korea but dropped to go to school. I thought Japan/Korea at 19 was way too risky due to language barriers and dangers in that area. I was commercial and fashion. Yeh. I totally know what you mean about where you are matters. Its why I was going to go to those asian countries as my height would not pose such limitations as it does in other areas.

I did print, runway, hairshows, video wench.

I remember when I asked if I should lose at the time and they told me no because my measurement were fine. They were more concerned with keeping consistent measures and looking healthy. My agent in LA was always giving us healthy eating tips and menus. They were fine. I mailed them to my doctor just to make sure because they would always talk crap on the industry even back then. At the time my weight was 115ish and my height just under 5'6''. My measures were usually 33-34'' b&h and waist of 22''. The only weight comment that was ever made was not to gain weight or eat junk food because it makes you skin like crap and can bloat you.
Can I have your autograph?

Sign it in my underbelly, it is whiter than my upper side.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Can I have your autograph?

Sign it in my underbelly, it is whiter than my upper side.

Lifts...
~scratchy scribble~


there...now you are worth something CC.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top