U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM

3,225 posts, read 3,986,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I meant the ads featuring minorities, HIV patients, etc. I am sure there clothes didn't become any better because of that.

I don't buy Dove anyway, I prefer Nivea.
Still, as long as there are commercials for such products, I prefer those where they show normal women, who, like it or not, do not look like Kate Moss etc. Nobody is bashing her, but I don't want her and similar models to be considered any kind of ideal to strive for.
What about the women who look like Moss naturally (they do exist)? Should they feel "bad" or "guilty" for being "too thin" even if that's their natural build?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM

15,960 posts, read 8,690,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
What about the women who look like Moss naturally (they do exist)? Should they feel "bad" or "guilty" for being "too thin" even if that's their natural build?
Of course not. However, I see no reason why they should dominate commercials when in fact they are not typical of society. That way they are in a subtle way pushed as the ideal, which however they are not. It would be just as odd to see overwhelmingly obese models.

I see the same problem with movie and TV casts. Those people often don't represent society, which is why many movies and series do not come across as authentic.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM

7,373 posts, read 6,846,391 times
Overweight and obese women need to learn how to gain self esteem on their own, instead of trying to force the world to change and accept their body type as something to be promoted or embraced. Most fashion designers don't want overweight women walking down the runway. That's too bad, don't buy their stuff if it upsets you that much. They don't show 40 year old women either, but you don't see me crying about it.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM

It's not just about the runway. The fashion industry is hopelessly absurd and ridiculous anyway. Those fashion people live in a world of their own.

Why overweight or obese? Just because a woman is not slender does not mean she is overweight or obese.
Both extremes do not serve as ideals.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It's not just about the runway. The fashion industry is hopelessly absurd and ridiculous anyway. Those fashion people live in a world of their own.

Why overweight or obese? Just because a woman is not slender does not mean she is overweight or obese.
Both extremes do not serve as ideals.
Runway, magazines, movies, sorry but they want what they want. If it isn't you, that's too bad. It isn't most of us. Fewer than 1% of the population is deemed attractive enough to be slapped on the covers of magazines. You think it's just heavy chicks being singled out? Go to LA, you can swing a cat and hit 100 women with amazing bodies who still don't make the cut.

And come on, this is about some overweight and obese people being personally offended. Women who aren't overweight+ (yet aren't slender) don't care.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

I totally disagree. It is many normal girls and women who, after years of media bombardment, THINK they are overweight, but aren't. And it is worried parents of teenage kids, especially of girls.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I totally disagree. It is many normal girls and women who, after years of media bombardment, THINK they are overweight, but aren't. And it is worried parents of teenage kids, especially of girls.
Let me explain to you how advertising works: there is something wrong with you, but luckily there is a product to fix it! You kitchen floor is dirty, your cell phone sucks, your car is too slow, your skin looks terrible, your hair color looks mousy, you are too stupid to do your taxes... and yes you are too fat. That the last item on the list is the only thing that hurts your feelings is your problem.

As for the poor children being bombarded by the media: Well there is a price to be paid when parents park their children in front of the tv during their formative years instead of interacting with them in a healthy manner. Who's fault is that? We know how ads work, and if you decide that your five year old should watch tv for hours and hours a day, it is your own fault if they believe the negative messages.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Runway, magazines, movies, sorry but they want what they want. If it isn't you, that's too bad. It isn't most of us. Fewer than 1% of the population is deemed attractive enough to be slapped on the covers of magazines. You think it's just heavy chicks being singled out? Go to LA, you can swing a cat and hit 100 women with amazing bodies who still don't make the cut.

And come on, this is about some overweight and obese people being personally offended. Women who aren't overweight+ (yet aren't slender) don't care.
If you think that's what the issue is, overweight people being unhappy with model sizes, and not models who are jepordaizing their own health to meet industry standards for their profession, you are misguided.

Let us tell all athletes to use steroids since it benefits their career. We can highly medicate surgeons so they never sleep so they can save more lives. We can allow truck drivers to take shift after shift after shift, because, after all, they can avoid accidents without adequate breaks. Shall I keep going?

A lot of industries have a possible work hazard. It is in the best interest of the industry to do what it can to ensure a safe and productive environment, as well as be conscious of how their decisions will affect others outside the industry. This is an industry that TOLD models to get thinner, even though they were already thin. Now they're trying to undo that wrong. What's so wrong with that? Wait. That last sentence shouldn't end with a "?" because I honestly don't care what anyone's response is, as I'm done with this "discussion." It's just going in circles.

You keep supporting eating disorders, and I'll keep supporting happy healthy people.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 03-23-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
If you think that's what the issue is, overweight people being unhappy with model sizes, and not models who are jepordaizing their own health to meet industry standards for their profession, you are misguided.

Let us tell all athletes to use steroids since it benefits their career. We can highly medicate surgeons so they never sleep so they can save more lives. We can allow truck drivers to take shift after shift after shift, because, after all, they can avoid accidents without adequate breaks. Shall I keep going?
If you are claiming you've been sitting around wringing your hands over the health of models for all of these years, i am claiming that you are a liar. We both know that you aren't worried that the latest cover girl isnt eating enough. And you don't watch football and cry over athletes being on drugs. Nor are you out campaining about truck drivers doing drugs to work more. Please, you arent fooling anyone. You are feigning outrage over these things.to justify your low self esteem when you see skinny models.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM

A caveat to Sunny - show me a thread in which you lament pro athletes using drugs and advocate a bigger crackdown by their respective sports' governing body, and i will retract my statement that you are being dish9nest on this thread. Ditto truck drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty