U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,541,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Well I do live in an area with 250+ golf courses in a 100 mile radius...unfortunately my handicap is...handicapped

But anyway, I'm debating the whole gold bracelet idea. I do like nice watches and I feel having a nice watch on my left wrist and a small gold chain on my right would give a snazzy appearance.

Unfortunately if I have a gold chain, I'll need to have a gold watch. And then everything goes downhill from there. Soon I'll be Arizona's white version of Mr. T.
I think it's fine. Personally, I prefer men with white gold/silver/stainless steel jewelry, but gold can work, if you are able to pull it off.

Here's a few that are very classy without being tacky IMO. (Note: I don't like Zales, I can't stand them personally, but it was one of the first links I found!)

Men's 1/2 CT. T.W. Diamond Link Bracelet in Stainless Steel - 8.25" - View All Bracelets - Zales

Royale by Edward Mirell Men's Titanium and Sterling Silver Bracelet with Enhanced Black Diamonds - View All Bracelets - Zales

FOR CASUAL looks ONLY!

J. Goodman Men's Leather, Sterling Silver and 18K Gold Bracelet with Enhanced Black Diamonds - 8.5" - View All Bracelets - Zales

Men's 10mm Stainless Steel Link Bracelet - 9.0" - View All Bracelets - Zales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Speedy,
I wear a stainless bracelet in the style you pictured along with a matching necklace. I also have a mariner or marine link bracelet and a black tungsten bracelet my wife gave me. I love these materials as opposed to gold and silver for both their cheap cost, durability and no maintenance.

The key is to keep it simple, one pice of each and not too thick. Pieces that are too thick and flashy don;t work for me, but that's not to say it won't for someone else.
So does hubby. I like the look. It's masculine and looks "put together", as opposed to being garish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,955,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If a man wants to avoid looking like a pimp, he wears no more than three pieces of jewelry. These three may be the following:

1) Wedding band.
2) Tasteful wristwatch.
3) Class ring (But after a couple of years? C'mon.)
4) Tasteful religious symbol on chain, preferably no larger than one square inch in area.

Beyond that, yeah, you might as well be wearing a leisure suit.
My family comes from Portugal so growing up I was like a human pawn shop. Gold bracelet, gold chain, etc. And it was Portuguese gold so it is very orange looking.

I don't live in the community I grew up in anymore so I ditched the gold bracelet. But I still wear the gold chain from my 1st communion. It has a small cross and I added 2 medals to it over the years. BUT it is always worn on the inside as a personal reminder, not as a fashion statement.

It is interesting going back to where I grew up because I see a lot more gold jewelry so it definitively is a culture thing.

On the wedding band I went all out, due to the fact its one of the only piece of jewelry a man wears. I ended up getting a claddagh ring which I have gotten come comments on, but it works for me. It was yellow gold, much to my fiancee's dismay, but I feel white gold looks too much like silver.

I am torn on the class rings. My high school had a very classy signet rings but I passed. I am a knight of columbus so I may get a ring like that to wear, much like the masons do.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 AM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Does a simple yet elegant bracelet or necklace on a guy appropriate for everyday wear? I'm not talking about massive, gaudy pieces of jewelry but something more subdued. Like this:

Was thinking of buying one to wear, always have liked yellow gold jewelry in limited numbers. I don't want to look like Mr. T but I think a gold bracelet might complement a nice suit.

Opinions?

Not for me. I think that any jewelry on a man is tasteless. I was actually brought up with the edict that the only jewelry a man should wear is a wrist watch and, if appropriate a wedding band.

In fact, if I were single, I would not date a man who wore a bracelet, a necklace, plain or with some sort of religious symbol, or a team symbol.

Many woman feel this way.

Perhaps who should think about French cuffs. Then you can wear cuff links. They are passable.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I think it's tacky.
Me too. Actually a deal breaker. I would not want to do business with a man wearing that, or a necklace.

It does not look feminine, that is not the point. It looks ostentatious.

I negatively correlate male jewelry with educational attainment, class, and gentility.

It is a rough look to me.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Me too. Actually a deal breaker. I would not want to do business with a man wearing that, or a necklace.

I negatively correlate male jewelry with educational attainment, class, and gentility.

It's not ostentatious. It's desperation to show that off. I have an uncle who wears diamond rings on every finger and tries to shove that on anyone's face while talking. He's like, "look at my ring". He'll make sure he'd wave it on your face.

The crocodile's had an ostentatious lifestyle ever since he was born. But then I never do sparkling items. I let my personality and silence do the talking. People look at me and form an opinion - "excellently dressed dude".

Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,955,183 times
Quote:
Not for me. I think that any jewelry on a man is tasteless. I was actually brought up with the edict that the only jewelry a man should wear is a wrist watch and, if appropriate a wedding band.

In fact, if I were single, I would not date a man who wore a bracelet, a necklace, plain or with some sort of religious symbol, or a team symbol.

Many woman feel this way.

Perhaps who should think about French cuffs. Then you can wear cuff links. They are passable.
So if a man concealed his necklace under his shirt for multiple dates, then you noticed it, the relationship would be off? Kind of shallow, no?

Stay away from Catholics!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,918,052 times
Quote:

A fair bit judgmental, aren't we? To not care for a certain look is fine and reasonable but to say "I wouldn't do business with a man wearing a necklace or bracelet" is really quite absurd. Usually those who make such brass and uninformed generalizations are the ones who have the lowest educational attainment anyway. Haven't you learned not to judge a book by its cover?

Do you also feel that a woman wearing a large, diamond ring is ostentatious? What about a man wearing an expensive watch? How about driving a Cadillac instead of a Toyota? I mean really...a small piece of jewelry is HARDLY ostentatious.

Quote:
The crocodile's had an ostentatious lifestyle ever since he was born. But then I never do sparkling items. I let my personality and silence do the talking. People look at me and form an opinion - "excellently dressed dude".
That opinion could also be negative, I believe it's wrong to assume that everyone you've ever met has formed the opinion you have stated.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,311,669 times
Tacky. The epitome of Scarface poor taste. "Say hello to my little friend"

But I was raised with the standards that no male wears any jewelry. No chain, pinky ring, thumb ring, bracelet, earings, noserings, you get the idea.

Wedding band, graduate degree ring, wrist watch ok.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-23-2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,511,894 times
When I see gold jewelry on a man, the images of Tony Manero (Saturday Night Fever) or Vinnie Barbarino (Welcome Back Kotter) come to mind. Not the pic you're showing necessarily, but gold jewelry on a man just looks a little UN-rugged to me, if you get my drift.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,511,894 times
Except for a gold wedding band, but that is like a watch...it has a specific purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty