U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 659,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
and we've been through this a million times.
Because she should be judged on her voice, not her looks.

Hot male bodies are mostly with muscle.
Hot female bodies are either very skinny look, or toned look.

I don't think there really, is a double standard on what is most of the time found attractive (in a body).
Hot female bodies start with long dark hair. They don't have to be skinny or really all that buffed up. Just some nice curves "more than the railroad tracks" and some nice dark hair. A nice set of eyes goes a long way too. We're melting! ~
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-28-2012, 05:39 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,669,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... Jeff Goldblum....

Especially as the mathematician in Jurrassic Park.. Somehow that man can make smarmy sexy.

Trimac I think your premise is totally off here.
Goldblum IS sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
Nah, it's just what some peoples idea of what a "fit" body is. Dan Henderson is a GREAT example. Do you see a six pack or twelve pack? Hell no you don't. He's meaner than a hornet and will break your legs and chin. http://martialartsinportlandoregon.c...n-Portland.jpg
I see your Dan and I raise you my Dan.

http://sportsnickel.com/wp-content/u...Hornbuckle.jpg

I remember the first time we (me and hubby) saw him fight. A buddy of ours that fights was with us (after his fight) and I was like "WOW, that guy is HOT!!!" Hubby couldn't figure it out and asked our friend. Friend was like "Dude, you used to look like that when you two met, lol!" Hubby was like yeah, I guess so, then he was sad cause he didn't look like that anymore, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Uh, you take a guy who works out and a skinney guy and girls will MAJORITY of the time pick the guy who works out and be all over him.

Will a girl ever admit it? Nope, and I'll probably have a ton of them on here saying how they don't care about looks. It is complete BS.
I am in the minority then cause I love a tall skinny guy!

Unread 03-28-2012, 06:57 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,219,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Uh, you take a guy who works out and a skinney guy and girls will MAJORITY of the time pick the guy who works out and be all over him.

Will a girl ever admit it? Nope, and I'll probably have a ton of them on here saying how they don't care about looks. It is complete BS.

I never said I don't care about looks and always gravitated towards tall and lanky. Even as a little kid my stupid celeb crushes looked like that. (david bowie, hans solo, paul neuman etc)

Guys have this "golden rule" calculator to play with:
Ideal Measurements - Ideal Body Measurements - Grecian Ideal - Greek Proportions - -
Golden ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another neat calculator page for everyone:
Human Aesthetics Calculator

Have any of you guys ever played with the golden rule calculator to see if that is "the look" that the OP talks about?

I never really played around with it as its for a male body.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:41 PM..

Unread 03-28-2012, 07:39 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Pictures of 'hot' male bodies are 90% a specific type: very muscled and often quite bulky.

Pictures of 'hot' females can vary from thin to average (which is considered overweight in the fashion industry). Often accompanied by fake ****.

You draw the conclusions. The 'ideal man' and woman are both not average, but a woman can be 'hot' while doing less.
What method of testing did you use to draw this conclusion? In other words, who are you turning to to ask what is hot?

Ask the people of C-D and you'll find a variety of answers. You know how every thread about the female body will go, and women have said they like everything from beefed up to lanky to a little overweight.

Ask google images, and "hot male body" yields mostly men who look like underwear models; they are toned and strong but far from bulky and I wouldn't say "very muscled" either. They don't look like body builders.

Search for "hot female body" yields more inconsistent results. It included 'roided up body builders and celebrities, but the body type that wins out is slender, slight hint of muscles, and big boobs. Adele and lookalikes were nowhere in sight.

Unread 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM

19,662 posts, read 15,650,649 times
Opsimathia and I seem to have the same taste in men.

Kevin Durand caught my eye in Lost. I had seen him in Smoking Aces and other movies but didn't remember him until then. He wasn't totally ripped, and he's carried some pudge in other movies. He cleans up.

Pictures & Photos of Kevin Durand - IMDb

And there's Alexander Skarsgard, who plays Eric Northman in True Blood, for whom I would punch Sookie Stackhouse in the face.

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

6,960 posts, read 7,206,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Opsimathia and I seem to have the same taste in men.

Kevin Durand caught my eye in Lost. I had seen him in Smoking Aces and other movies but didn't remember him until then. He wasn't totally ripped, and he's carried some pudge in other movies. He cleans up.

Pictures & Photos of Kevin Durand - IMDb

And there's Alexander Skarsgard, who plays Eric Northman in True Blood, for whom I would punch Sookie Stackhouse in the face.

Kevin Durand is handsome, but I can't say I've ever seen him shirtless until this thread (I've never seen Lost.) I prefer him dressed. He's a bit too cut for my liking in the link you posted.

Hmmm, the thing is, I like overall build, not necessarily sculpted. One of the few "shirtless" pics I drool over is this one of Howie Long: Locker Room, BUT much of it has to do with the fact that he has chest hair and hair on his legs. It screams "all man" to me.

Liam Neeson is another man I find extremely sexy & attractive, but I don't think I've ever seen him shirtless.

Oh and Danial Craig is hot as all hell! I've seen him shirtless, but one of the reasons why he's so freakin' hot is because he wears clothes so well, suits in particular.

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

24,695 posts, read 15,396,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
What method of testing did you use to draw this conclusion? In other words, who are you turning to to ask what is hot?

Ask the people of C-D and you'll find a variety of answers. You know how every thread about the female body will go, and women have said they like everything from beefed up to lanky to a little overweight.

Ask google images, and "hot male body" yields mostly men who look like underwear models; they are toned and strong but far from bulky and I wouldn't say "very muscled" either. They don't look like body builders.

Search for "hot female body" yields more inconsistent results. It included 'roided up body builders and celebrities, but the body type that wins out is slender, slight hint of muscles, and big boobs. Adele and lookalikes were nowhere in sight.
I actually did, for the sake of curiosity. For some reason a lot of the results for women were of female bodybuilders lol...as for the men, predictably all were muscled with definition.

It seems in an erotic sense in particular, women are turned on by muscles and the suggestion of strength, rather than truly viewing the man as a sexual being.

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

19,662 posts, read 15,650,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Kevin Durand is handsome, but I can't say I've ever seen him shirtless until this thread (I've never seen Lost.) I prefer him dressed. He's a bit too cut for my liking in the link you posted.
I agree, actually: I am not so much into abs or the "V." In Lost he wore T-shirts and just looked tall and strapping. He's something like 6'5", yum. He can go buff and cut or get somewhat softer looking, but he still has that broad-shouldered bigness.

Dwayne Johnson is the same height at Durand, but he is too beefcake in my opinion.

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM

6,960 posts, read 7,206,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree, actually: I am not so much into abs or the "V." In Lost he wore T-shirts and just looked tall and strapping. He's something like 6'5", yum. He can go buff and cut or get somewhat softer looking, but he still has that broad-shouldered bigness.

Dwayne Johnson is the same height at Durand, but he is too beefcake in my opinion.

Yeah baby!!!! That's what I'm talking about!!!!!! (Insert drooling smiley here...I'm too lazy to find one. )

Unread 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM

19,130 posts, read 12,277,964 times
I read a psychology report a few years back regarding comic book characters (Ill poke around and try to find it again) that said ALL characters are drawn to the male ego, and I think a lot of that may transfer over to this conversation as well. The women characters were drawn to attract males sexually (curvy, large breasts and butt, long flowing hair that would be pointless in actual battle) and the men were drawn to be the ideal of what men wanted to look like. Tall, muscled, slightly arrogant etc.

I've been told by a few female models currently in the business that male models are NOT picked to attract females, they are picked because they are the 'social ideal' of what men want to look like. They are more likely (subconciously if anything) to purchase clothing that will make them look like the 'ideal' man in the ads. It's actually pretty clever if you think about it... men are very visual and they really use that to their advantage.

So, basically if you look up sexy men, a lot of the time they will be the male's ideal, not the female's ideal. Biologically we're not as visual as men are. I've noticed that my female friends won't date a man long term based solely on the fact that he's attractive, but my male friends will stay with women faaaaar too long just because she's good looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty