U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
20,877 posts, read 18,404,241 times
Reputation: 29231
It's funny how men and women have different ideals in women too. I have heard men say so many times that they do not find Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, or Jennifer Aniston attractive, yet they have each been in several romcoms as the irresistible female lead. They are cast by women in shows that are pointedly for women. You'd think that women and men would have the same ideals, like you pointed out above, but we don't. I mean in a very general sense, but still the majority. The opposite of Jennifer Aniston is Vin Diesel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,127 posts, read 14,414,088 times
Reputation: 15740
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's funny how men and women have different ideals in women too. I have heard men say so many times that they do not find Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, or Jennifer Aniston attractive, yet they have each been in several romcoms as the irresistible female lead. They are cast by women in shows that are pointedly for women. You'd think that women and men would have the same ideals, like you pointed out above, but we don't. I mean in a very general sense, but still the majority. The opposite of Jennifer Aniston is Vin Diesel.
I think romcoms are a totally different situation...since those are absolutely and definitely geared towards women. I do think they use women that are pretty, but not gorgeous so that the women watching can still see a little bit of themselves in the character. They don't want women to be threatened by a gorgeous woman, so they also do things that play down the prettiness, such as making her clumsy or putting glasses on her to make her appear 'geekier'.

In real life, those women in those rom coms would have men drooling all over them, especially considering they wake up in full makeup with beautiful, perfect hair in the morning . I've never been able to get into romcoms because of that factor, it's all so fake. Of course men are going to fall for the 'quirky' best friend when she's drop dead gorgeous, replace her with an average, overweight best friend with the same personality and the men will completely ignore her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
12,957 posts, read 10,255,110 times
Reputation: 19891
Quote:
Of course men are going to fall for the 'quirky' best friend when she's drop dead gorgeous, replace her with an average, overweight best friend with the same personality and the men will completely ignore her.
Right. Anne Hathaway with braces and glasses and frizzy hair is still more attractive than 90% of the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,217,618 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's funny how men and women have different ideals in women too. I have heard men say so many times that they do not find Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, or Jennifer Aniston attractive, yet they have each been in several romcoms as the irresistible female lead.
Blech!! Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Reese "Giant Iron Chin' Witherspoon, all almost make me want to throw up. I dont find any of them to be attractive. They are average at BEST.

Cameron Diaz looked her best in Shallow Hal so she is acceptable to me.

Jet Jockey is right that RomComs are geared to women so they usually are starring women who "regular" women wont feel threatened by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,276,447 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Blech!! Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Reese "Giant Iron Chin' Witherspoon, all almost make me want to throw up. I dont find any of them to be attractive. They are average at BEST.

Cameron Diaz looked her best in Shallow Hal so she is acceptable to me.

Jet Jockey is right that RomComs are geared to women so they usually are starring women who "regular" women wont feel threatened by.

LOL....

I swear almost every guy I know has that same "egh" list on those chicks.

CDiaz never looked as good as she did in the mask. Her in that red dress was an amazing look:


Sexy Legs - Cameron Diaz - YouTube

Is that just age or did she get too lean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
 
3,518 posts, read 2,778,171 times
Reputation: 5344
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Blech!! Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Reese "Giant Iron Chin' Witherspoon, all almost make me want to throw up. I dont find any of them to be attractive. They are average at BEST.

Cameron Diaz looked her best in Shallow Hal so she is acceptable to me.

Jet Jockey is right that RomComs are geared to women so they usually are starring women who "regular" women wont feel threatened by.
Cameron Diaz wasn't in Shallow Hal. You're either thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow or There's Something About Mary, depending on which half of that sentence you intended.

I agree, the RomCom stars are casted to appeal to women, but you can find examples of the safe pretty type, the sex kitten type, and the not-so-pretty-but-maybe-cute-and-quirky type (like Drew Barrymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,217,618 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Cameron Diaz wasn't in Shallow Hal. You're either thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow or There's Something About Mary, depending on which half of that sentence you intended.

I agree, the RomCom stars are casted to appeal to women, but you can find examples of the safe pretty type, the sex kitten type, and the not-so-pretty-but-maybe-cute-and-quirky type (like Drew Barrymore).
Thanks!! It was Gweneth Paltrow. The other RomCom chick that I cant stand. She was SMOKING HOT in Shallow Hal. Its pretty much the ONLY movie I can stand to watch with her in it other than Iron Man.

I like Cameron Diaz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,023 posts, read 13,779,228 times
Reputation: 11309
The amount of importance you ignoramuses attach to celebrities never ceased to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM
 
3,518 posts, read 2,778,171 times
Reputation: 5344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
The amount of importance you ignoramuses attach to celebrities never ceased to amaze me.
I saw Cameron Diaz wearing army pants and flip-flops, so I bought army pants and flip-flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
20,877 posts, read 18,404,241 times
Reputation: 29231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
The amount of importance you ignoramuses attach to celebrities never ceased to amaze me.
Hush and go iron your shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top