Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,554,680 times

Advertisements

It's funny how men and women have different ideals in women too. I have heard men say so many times that they do not find Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, or Jennifer Aniston attractive, yet they have each been in several romcoms as the irresistible female lead. They are cast by women in shows that are pointedly for women. You'd think that women and men would have the same ideals, like you pointed out above, but we don't. I mean in a very general sense, but still the majority. The opposite of Jennifer Aniston is Vin Diesel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's funny how men and women have different ideals in women too. I have heard men say so many times that they do not find Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, or Jennifer Aniston attractive, yet they have each been in several romcoms as the irresistible female lead. They are cast by women in shows that are pointedly for women. You'd think that women and men would have the same ideals, like you pointed out above, but we don't. I mean in a very general sense, but still the majority. The opposite of Jennifer Aniston is Vin Diesel.
I think romcoms are a totally different situation...since those are absolutely and definitely geared towards women. I do think they use women that are pretty, but not gorgeous so that the women watching can still see a little bit of themselves in the character. They don't want women to be threatened by a gorgeous woman, so they also do things that play down the prettiness, such as making her clumsy or putting glasses on her to make her appear 'geekier'.

In real life, those women in those rom coms would have men drooling all over them, especially considering they wake up in full makeup with beautiful, perfect hair in the morning . I've never been able to get into romcoms because of that factor, it's all so fake. Of course men are going to fall for the 'quirky' best friend when she's drop dead gorgeous, replace her with an average, overweight best friend with the same personality and the men will completely ignore her.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
Of course men are going to fall for the 'quirky' best friend when she's drop dead gorgeous, replace her with an average, overweight best friend with the same personality and the men will completely ignore her.
Right. Anne Hathaway with braces and glasses and frizzy hair is still more attractive than 90% of the general population.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,843,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's funny how men and women have different ideals in women too. I have heard men say so many times that they do not find Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, or Jennifer Aniston attractive, yet they have each been in several romcoms as the irresistible female lead.
Blech!! Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Reese "Giant Iron Chin' Witherspoon, all almost make me want to throw up. I dont find any of them to be attractive. They are average at BEST.

Cameron Diaz looked her best in Shallow Hal so she is acceptable to me.

Jet Jockey is right that RomComs are geared to women so they usually are starring women who "regular" women wont feel threatened by.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,672,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Blech!! Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Reese "Giant Iron Chin' Witherspoon, all almost make me want to throw up. I dont find any of them to be attractive. They are average at BEST.

Jet Jockey is right that RomComs are geared to women so they usually are starring women who "regular" women wont feel threatened by.

LOL....

I swear almost every guy I know has that same "egh" list on those chicks.

CDiaz never looked as good as she did in the mask. Her in that red dress was an amazing look:

Sexy Legs - Cameron Diaz - YouTube

Is that just age or did she get too lean?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,759,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Cameron Diaz wasn't in Shallow Hal. You're either thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow or There's Something About Mary, depending on which half of that sentence you intended.

I agree, the RomCom stars are casted to appeal to women, but you can find examples of the safe pretty type, the sex kitten type, and the not-so-pretty-but-maybe-cute-and-quirky type (like Drew Barrymore).

Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,843,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Cameron Diaz wasn't in Shallow Hal. You're either thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow or There's Something About Mary, depending on which half of that sentence you intended.

I agree, the RomCom stars are casted to appeal to women, but you can find examples of the safe pretty type, the sex kitten type, and the not-so-pretty-but-maybe-cute-and-quirky type (like Drew Barrymore).
Thanks!! It was Gweneth Paltrow. The other RomCom chick that I cant stand. She was SMOKING HOT in Shallow Hal. Its pretty much the ONLY movie I can stand to watch with her in it other than Iron Man.

I like Cameron Diaz.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,615,694 times
The amount of importance you ignoramuses attach to celebrities never ceased to amaze me.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,759,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
The amount of importance you ignoramuses attach to celebrities never ceased to amaze me.
I saw Cameron Diaz wearing army pants and flip-flops, so I bought army pants and flip-flops.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,554,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Hush and go iron your shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty