U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Do you think this double standard holds true...

A 'hot' woman is one who is basically just of average proportions with at least decent sized breasts. By 'average' I don't mean average TODAY, but average as in how humans are SUPPOSED to be. I was thinking about this. Since the average 40 something year old woman is a bit overweight, and a lot of 20 somethings are in slightly better shape, a woman who just watches what she eats can be considered 'hot' just for being a woman. There's such an emphasis of youth equally beauty, that one has to work hard to maintain that youthful shape as they age, especially after childbirth.

Whereas a man has to have a sculpted body to be considered sexy. At least generally. All 'sexy' pics of men are generally just topless showing his muscles. While 'sexy' photos of women can depict slightly skinny to curvaceous women, usually with decent sized breasts, but even small breasts can be overlooked for other things, like having long limbs, which isn't controllable anyway.

I think slim men - not skinny (not attractive in either gender) with some tone can be just as attractive looking. I'm not gay so I can't speak from that angle, but from an aesthetic point of view while a sculpted male body is indeed a work of art, I think the ideal of male physical beauty is a bit narrower than that of a woman.

I've seen women who were said to have 'hot bodies' who just looked average to me. It's like, most men will take a fairly 'regular' looking girl who isn't overweight or anorexic, while there's this idea that a man has to work out to get girls.

In porn you often see chunky, muscly men with average sized women with big breasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Reputation: 5326
Since you are not gay you don't get it just like how some women don't get it when a guy says a certain female is hot and she doesn't see it.

The "perfect" Adonis type build really does nothing for me as far as attraction. The only reaction it get out of me is the cerebral wow of thinking the level of dedication that person puts into looking like that.

I like the look that is just slim, lanky and cut.

ex:

Millionaires - Just Got Paid Lets Get Laid - Music Video - | Director: Robby Starbuck - YouTube

Stripper in the beginning looks awesome.(black dude)
hotness scale: a 9 because I can't really see his teeth or face.
attractive scale: a 0 as it doesn't get a reaction out of me personally

But I think the middle guy at 2:18 is hotter on the attractive scale.
Hotness scale: ? I am going to say a 6 because I am going by "the standard"
attractive scale: 10 to me as I love thin guys with tattoos that have muscle definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 AM
 
13,819 posts, read 12,605,948 times
Reputation: 6460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Since you are not gay you don't get it just like how some women don't get it when a guy says a certain female is hot and she doesn't see it.

The "perfect" Adonis type build really does nothing for me as far as attraction. The only reaction it get out of me is the cerebral wow of thinking the level of dedication that person puts into looking like that.

I like the look that is just slim, lanky and cut.

ex:

Millionaires - Just Got Paid Lets Get Laid - Music Video - | Director: Robby Starbuck - YouTube

Stripper in the beginning looks awesome.(black dude)
hotness scale: a 9 because I can't really see his teeth or face.
attractive scale: a 0 as it doesn't get a reaction out of me personally

But I think the middle guy at 2:18 is hotter on the attractive scale.
Hotness scale: ? I am going to say a 6 because I am going by "the standard"
attractive scale: 10 to me as I love thin guys with tattoos that have muscle definition.
Bwa-ha-ha)))
They all look ugly, the whole bunch of them, but women in particular, while they are trying to look so hot)))

PS. Oh, do I need to mention that music is horrid too???)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A 'hot' woman is one who is basically just of average proportions with at least decent sized breasts. By 'average' I don't mean average TODAY, but average as in how humans are SUPPOSED to be.
You lost me here. "Hot" is not "average". I also think its ridiculous to try to separate women of "today" with how women are "supposed" to look like. When I see women like Scarlette Johanssen, Halle Berry, Jessica Alba, Carmen Electra, Santana and Britney on Glee. I think that is how women are supposed to look. Not like Adele, Brooke Elliot on "Drop Dead Diva" or the fat chick on Glee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You lost me here. "Hot" is not "average". I also think its ridiculous to try to separate women of "today" with how women are "supposed" to look like. When I see women like Scarlette Johanssen, Halle Berry, Jessica Alba, Carmen Electra, Santana and Britney on Glee. I think that is how women are supposed to look. Not like Adele, Brooke Elliot on "Drop Dead Diva" or the fat chick on Glee.
That's why I said what humans, living a primitive lifestyle in their natural habitat on a natural diet, would look like. Basically our biological norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
 
1,070 posts, read 1,484,099 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Bwa-ha-ha)))
They all look ugly, the whole bunch of them, but women in particular, while they are trying to look so hot)))

PS. Oh, do I need to mention that music is horrid too???)))
Who cares if a nice looking woman of an average body wants a man a little on the beefy or buffed up side. Some of us were big boned to start with. I started to get my shoulders when I was about twelve or thirteen. I have a physical job that keeps me in good shape, as well as going to the gym to pump iron on the side. NO!! I don't shave my chest, legs, arms or anything like that. BTW, that was a knock off of a classic "country guy" tune!

ZZ Top - Just Got Paid - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Reputation: 42369
I disagree. Jeff Goldblum and Johnny Depp are examples of sexy men who aren't known for their sculpted bodies. A man can be sexy without having washboard abs. In fact, sometimes when a guy is so obviously into his body that he spends hours a day sculpting it, it's a turn-off to women. Self-absorbed people seem like they'd be lousy lovers ... the kind of guy who has a mirrors in his bedroom so he can watch himself perform. That's not sexy.

Sculpted is not automatically sexy. Sexy is not always sculpted.

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I disagree. Jeff Goldblum and Johnny Depp are examples of sexy men who aren't known for their sculpted bodies. A man can be sexy without having washboard abs. In fact, sometimes when a guy is so obviously into his body that he spends hours a day sculpting it, it's a turn-off to women. Self-absorbed people seem like they'd be lousy lovers ... the kind of guy who has a mirrors in his bedroom so he can watch himself perform. That's not sexy.

Sculpted is not automatically sexy. Sexy is not always sculpted.
Jeff Goldblum isn't traditionally viewed as a sex symbol...

Johnny Depp is very handsome...

But how many times have you heard these men praised for their BODIES?

Whereas I've heard women with average bodies being called sexy. I guess because men are just more turned on by the female form in general, and women have been brainwashed to think of females as objectively the 'prettier' sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Reputation: 42369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Jeff Goldblum isn't traditionally viewed as a sex symbol...
He's very common on women's lists of sexy men. And my husband loves Geena Davis so it's perfect (or was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Johnny Depp is very handsome...

But how many times have you heard these men praised for their BODIES?

Whereas I've heard women with average bodies being called sexy. I guess because men are just more turned on by the female form in general, and women have been brainwashed to think of females as objectively the 'prettier' sex.
I guess I don't understand what you're saying. Men and women are attracted by different things, so we have different criteria than you do. I do think the "butterface" is more common among the women that straight men find attractive, if that's what you mean. When women list what they are first attracted to, they usually mention eyes, mouth, smile, hands, face, etc., moreso than butt, thighs, pecs, etc. Men are more likely to mention legs, breasts, butt, or they say things like "I'm an ass man."

We view sexiness differently, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's why I said what humans, living a primitive lifestyle in their natural habitat on a natural diet, would look like. Basically our biological norm.
I still say ridiculous. You are talking fantasyland. No one really knows what people would look like. They can only guess or make (usually false) assumptions based on artists renditioning in their paintings/sculptures.

You cant say if what you ask "holds true" for today, if the subjects are make believe/fantasyland people of someone's imagination of what they think/assume/guess people would look like in our natural "state" from like the 1500s or earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top