U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

428 posts, read 382,106 times

Advertisements

Ok I have a question for all those nail polish freaks out there.....

I recently purchased the Sally Hanson Crackle Nail polish in Black and White... My question is.. While my turns out good when I do it, Just not as pretty as Ive seen it else where..So umm what am I doing wrong? And any advice about how to apply it is welcomed.... thanks =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 PM

2,514 posts, read 6,918,048 times
Never heard of it...not sure why you'd want your nails to look "crackely"....sounds like antiqueing furniture!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,219,696 times
Not a fan. It's fun for about 1 day and then it's not so attractive ... I do my own nails so I change the color 2-3x a week - I tried that crackle stuff once, and didn't like it, gave it away ... I'll stick with French, reds, and plains ....

On another note, do you ever try Essie, lasts a long time ! Also, Ulta makes a liquid silk nail wrap that is awesome as a base coat ...

Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM

212 posts, read 163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Not a fan. It's fun for about 1 day and then it's not so attractive ... I do my own nails so I change the color 2-3x a week - I tried that crackle stuff once, and didn't like it, gave it away ... I'll stick with French, reds, and plains ....

On another note, do you ever try Essie, lasts a long time ! Also, Ulta makes a liquid silk nail wrap that is awesome as a base coat ...
Ditto, I never saw the point of crackle polish, looks dumb to me.

Essie is my favorite brand! It does last a while, and it's good quality.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM

5,148 posts, read 5,484,341 times

OPI Black Shatter Katy Perry Crackle Nail Polish V BarryM Instant Nail Effects Nail Art HD Video - YouTube

Seems different brands look a bit different?

I never bought it for that possible failure reason. LOL

They say chunky glitter is the new crackle so if it doesn't work there are other new things out there.

Another vid with less impressive results:

Quick Tips for Crackle Nail Polish (Metallic) - YouTube

Your brand vs. OPI as shown in the first vid:

Sally Hansen Crackle vs OPI Black/Silver Shatter - YouTube

The tips I harvested:
- bottom coat totally dry
- thin layer of crackle without overlapping strokes
- you need a topcoat on top of the crackle for best finish

Now I wonder if you had it under a fan = more or less crackles?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM

13,123 posts, read 10,628,255 times
Those nails in the still of that first video are freaking me out. Way too long.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 AM

5,148 posts, read 5,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Those nails in the still of that first video are freaking me out. Way too long.

LOL...yeh I would totally be missing at least one eye if I tried to operate daily with those claws. Doing daily tasks with those should be a sport in the Olympics. Its a feat thats, for sure. LOL

Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 PM

151 posts, read 87,528 times
Bottom coat of nail polish definitely needs to be 100% dry.
And only a thin layer of Crackle. If you put a thick layer, it will not crackle.
I had this happen with mine when I tried it.

Personally, not a fan though.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM

428 posts, read 382,106 times
I guess I got suckered in... Wanted them to look different and ended up looking ok but youre right after a day not so much... The pic of the nails that are really long are very scary.. EEKS..

Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM

70 posts, read 100,412 times
For the best application with the crackles/shatters use a zig-zag application instead of the traditional up and down.

I'm constantly reading nail polish blogs and forums. I think the shatter/crackle thing has kind of phased out. Not many women are doing it anymore. The person who said chunky glitter is the new crackle is correct! I see it everywhere, and I have some on my nails right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty