Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 AM

910 posts, read 2,283,083 times

Advertisements

I'm a woman who loves her make-up but I agree with a lot of points in Trimac's post - and I haven't done a lot of those things since I was very very young. And when I heard of the first breast implants, I distinctly recall they were for the few unfortunate women who were truly flat-chested, and it makes me crazy to see so many pretty young girls feel inadequate if they're not at least a C cup. I was an A as a young girl but I was underweight too. After pregancy and lactation I became a B, and with hormonal changes and some weight gain a C, so I've told my daughter who's built almost exactly like I was to give it time and she'll definitely fill up.

My take on all of it is that when we're young and don't know better we accept what the fashion industry and the magazines - which are full of pages of ads for all kinds of products - are telling us is "a must" to have in order to look beautiful, "in" or sexy or all of that, and what young girl wants to be left behind? I once had that happen to me when I was 16, but it was kind of like the opposite. I went to a dance wearing a ton of eye make-up and an elaborate updo and NO ONE asked me to dance the whole night. It so happen a new "natural look" had just started and somehow I was not aware of it but all the other girls were wearing their hair lose and very light make-up.

So we strive to keep "up to date" no matter what it takes. And I don't buy this "I do it for myself", sure a bit of color on the face and being presentable I do for myself too, but why would anyone need stillettos and fake eyelashes? 'Cause we've been brain-washed into thinking we "need" all that stuff to look good and some feel "incomplete" without the whole kaboodle. I myself have to admit that I will NOT open the door to anyone unless I've at least put the "bare basics" on my face, maybe it's out of habit, however, the older I get the more important those "basics" have become but I often resent that our culture seems to demand that we always look "our best".

Seriously, if we thought none of that made any difference we wouldn't wear it, I think those who say different just don't want to admit it. And what straight girl/woman does not enjoy the lingering look of an admiring man? Perhaps many younger women do compete with each other where clothes, shoes & make-up are concerned but the subconscious reason is to be more attractive to the opposite sex than the others are (or at least "just as"). I's LEARNED BEHAVIOR, not an instinct, little girls see their mothers put on make-up or see other women wear it, so most of us can't wait to be old enough to wear it.

Ah, and I think those girls/women who have implied the OP must be gay say it out of spite because for some reason they don't like a man objecting to all the stuff they now couldn't stay away from. In my long experience with men I've found most actually feel like him, don't forget some guys have MOTHERS and SISTERS so they KNOW what it's all about, some of them probably saw them be late to events because of all the time it takes to "doll-up" in the way he described. At the same time it's true that the majority of men are "clueless" and prefer to think that the beauty in front of their eyes is natural rather than have taken 1 or 2 hours to achieve it.

Ah, and for those who still don't know check this: espadrilles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 PM

395 posts, read 705,225 times
Be confident and have a nice smile and personality....and be mentally stable

Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yea I think the OP is either a woman in disguise or a homosexual. Straight men don't look at all those details and make value judgments, they just look if a girl looks good. Going into detail criticizing makeup is not something I've ever done with my male friends when critiquing a woman. Guys check out a girls face and her figure. They will like what they see based on their preference for size and thickness. Women do a lot of their stuff to get compliments from other women. Men may find that strange but women do that.
Really my sisters would say I'm ignorant about all that 'girl's stuff.' I thought most of what I'm talking about is common knowledge. I actually couldn't care less about most fashion myself but I'd like to know what goes into it. If you consider me like one of those guys in '***** Eye', most guys must be REALLY clueless.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If Trimac were gay, he'd understand women a whole lot better. Homeboy is straight!
LOL...yep, totally clueless about them women.

Or maybe...I understand you girls better than you understand yourselves?

*Grimaces for slapping*

Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I'm a woman who loves her make-up but I agree with a lot of points in Trimac's post - and I haven't done a lot of those things since I was very very young. And when I heard of the first breast implants, I distinctly recall they were for the few unfortunate women who were truly flat-chested, and it makes me crazy to see so many pretty young girls feel inadequate if they're not at least a C cup. I was an A as a young girl but I was underweight too. After pregancy and lactation I became a B, and with hormonal changes and some weight gain a C, so I've told my daughter who's built almost exactly like I was to give it time and she'll definitely fill up.

My take on all of it is that when we're young and don't know better we accept what the fashion industry and the magazines - which are full of pages of ads for all kinds of products - are telling us is "a must" to have in order to look beautiful, "in" or sexy or all of that, and what young girl wants to be left behind? I once had that happen to me when I was 16, but it was kind of like the opposite. I went to a dance wearing a ton of eye make-up and an elaborate updo and NO ONE asked me to dance the whole night. It so happen a new "natural look" had just started and somehow I was not aware of it but all the other girls were wearing their hair lose and very light make-up.

So we strive to keep "up to date" no matter what it takes. And I don't buy this "I do it for myself", sure a bit of color on the face and being presentable I do for myself too, but why would anyone need stillettos and fake eyelashes? 'Cause we've been brain-washed into thinking we "need" all that stuff to look good and some feel "incomplete" without the whole kaboodle. I myself have to admit that I will NOT open the door to anyone unless I've at least put the "bare basics" on my face, maybe it's out of habit, however, the older I get the more important those "basics" have become but I often resent that our culture seems to demand that we always look "our best".

Seriously, if we thought none of that made any difference we wouldn't wear it, I think those who say different just don't want to admit it. And what straight girl/woman does not enjoy the lingering look of an admiring man? Perhaps many younger women do compete with each other where clothes, shoes & make-up are concerned but the subconscious reason is to be more attractive to the opposite sex than the others are (or at least "just as"). I's LEARNED BEHAVIOR, not an instinct, little girls see their mothers put on make-up or see other women wear it, so most of us can't wait to be old enough to wear it.

Ah, and I think those girls/women who have implied the OP must be gay say it out of spite because for some reason they don't like a man objecting to all the stuff they now couldn't stay away from. In my long experience with men I've found most actually feel like him, don't forget some guys have MOTHERS and SISTERS so they KNOW what it's all about, some of them probably saw them be late to events because of all the time it takes to "doll-up" in the way he described. At the same time it's true that the majority of men are "clueless" and prefer to think that the beauty in front of their eyes is natural rather than have taken 1 or 2 hours to achieve it.

Ah, and for those who still don't know check this: espadrilles.
Well summed up...

the fact the fashion of one era is seen as ridiculous as another proves the point...

Fashion is largely about attraction. High heels are not comfortable, nor, do I suspect, are huge breast implants. Maybe in another era we'll look back, and silicon **** will be consigned with hair gel and corsets in the sin bin of fashion faux pas of history.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 AM

910 posts, read 2,283,083 times
Thanks, and you're so right! When I was a young girl I didn't like the fashion in my mother's day, but now comparing with some of the stuff of my own time which now seem ridiculous to me, I feel at least the fashion in her day aimed at emphasizing feminity.

At one point I stopped following fashion
because I got tired of "running with the herd", I simply just choose what I like, I'm very practical so my style could be called "classic". And I ditched high heels precisely for the reason you state, I think the highest I have now is 2 or 2 1/2" at most, but on a daily basis I just wear flats even though I'm only 5'1".

The thing I'd like to tell young women is what my mother had told me: when it comes to fashion and trends "there's nothing new under the sun", just the combinations of old stuff might be new.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Thanks, and you're so right! When I was a young girl I didn't like the fashion in my mother's day, but now comparing with some of the stuff of my own time which now seem ridiculous to me, I feel at least the fashion in her day aimed at emphasizing feminity.

At one point I stopped following fashion
because I got tired of "running with the herd", I simply just choose what I like, I'm very practical so my style could be called "classic". And I ditched high heels precisely for the reason you state, I think the highest I have now is 2 or 2 1/2" at most, but on a daily basis I just wear flats even though I'm only 5'1".

The thing I'd like to tell young women is what my mother had told me: when it comes to fashion and trends "there's nothing new under the sun", just the combinations of old stuff might be new.
Yep...in the 60s they were probably like, 'the world's gonna end because girl's hemlines are too high!'

Of course some primitive tribesperson is probably scratching their head wondering what these weird people are on about.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,945,851 times
My responses are bolded in black

From a male perspective:

High heels - Okay for the occasional night out, but sometimes women tottering around in them just look silly. Wearing heels constantly is subjecting yourself to pain for the sake of fashion.

I wear high heels all the time. I could care less if you think it's silly. What makes you think I wear them for you?

Painting nails - I actually never got why so many women were into painting their finger and tone nails. I have no problem if they want to make themselves pretty but in terms of attraction it doesn't change anything for me.

I like to paint my nails all the time. What makes you think I care if you are attracted? FYI, I ain't looking for a man and I never intend to get married. Not everything is about attracting a man. How do you like that?

Eye-shadow/eye-liner/mascara: Maybe a bit, but personally, too many girls just overdo it. If you can tell within a second she's wearing dark eye shadow it's too much.

I don't care if you think it looks too much. I like it. Sometimes I will stay home and play with makeup for fun and then go to sleep. It sure aint to impress or attract you or any man. Get over yourself.

Lip-stick/lip-gloss: Kind of indifferent to it, really. Don't really like to taste lipstick though.

Don't worry, you're not lucky enough taste my lipgloss so no worries.

The fastidious use of moisturizer/lotions/scrubs: It's good to want to have good skin, but you can probably overdo it. Some women act like blackheads or pores are the size of small craters lol.

I like to be flawless for myself. I admit I am super vain and superficial. I love it and am into myself and love taking care of myself.

Foundation etc. I guess is more subtle.

Eye lash extensions/fake eyelashes: To be honest I viewed them as a bit silly and also unnecessary.

I love fake lashes and don't care if you think it's silly or uneccessary.

Jewelry - Kind of neutral on it. Not a fan of too much jewelry on anyone.

Hair dye - No problem wanting a change now and then, but changing colour every month or so is overdoing it a wee bit. The bottle blonde fad went outta control for a little while (for both sexes really).

People have the right to dye their hair as much as they want. Someone's random opinion ain't gonna change that.

Fake breasts - Unless you're like an A or small B cup and you really feel the need to, I think the balloon like breasts are a result of male fetishism.

I am PRO PLASTIC SURGERY. Always have been for it; if you've got the money then go for it

Fake tan - I know real tanning can be harmful...I like the bronzed look if doesn't make you look like an oompa loompa.

Women's clothing in general - Seems to be geared to be sexy: revealing, figure-hugging.

Yea, I like to dress sexy but don't worry; it ain't for you. I love to dress up and dress revealing. Who cares what you think?

I'm not trying to be judgemental, doesn't make me think less of women who do that, thought it'd be an interesting thread topic.
------------------------------------------------

The point is that we don't care what you think. Don't worry, I'm not interested in attracting you or any guy, I do whatever the hell I feel like and could care less if you think something stupid or excessive or "too much". Worry about yourself. Don't worry about if my eye makeup is too dark or if I'm dressed slutty; IT AIN'T YOUR BUSINESS.

Why are you worrying about what other people do when they could care less about you? Worry about yourself and mind your own business. Boggles my mind why people worry about things that have no relevance to them personally.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 AM

4,025 posts, read 2,088,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Basically, Trimac, you think you dislike all those things but you really do and don't even realize it. That pretty much puts women on the same level as Jedis.
Can someone explain this? I understand what a Jedi is (saw Star Wars a zillion years ago), but don't get the reference/analogy.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 AM

4,025 posts, read 2,088,663 times
I'm a woman who also doesn't get a lot of what the OP posted. I think women tottering around on heels with their ankles wobbly just looks silly---and I worry about the foot problems they may develop!

I also don't agree that people dress in the ways he posted just for themselves. Sure, I understand it boosts the ego---that part is for and benefits themselves. And it may not be to attract a guy---I've known a lot of women, even up there in age and who have no sexual interest, to want to look good (however they define it). But to say it's just for oneself is disingenuous. I don't think many of us put on makeup or style our hair or wear "good" clothes when we are just staying at home and won't be seeing anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty