U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,391,367 times

Advertisements

It's easier for me to look at the watch on my wrist than to fish in my purse for my phone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM

348 posts, read 198,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wearing a watch just feels weird to me. I dont like them. Only people who seem to be watch wearers are women (if it goes with their outfit) and your Floyd Mayweather types who like to flaunt and be flashy. I dont like wearing jewelry at all really. I wear my wedding ring, and on very very very rare occasions I have a few Thai gold necklaces with a couple of really old ancient buddha pendants that I may wear. But havent put one of those on in a few years.

Everyone I see now always have their phones out checking e-mail or texting. Seems like there really isnt a need for watches anymore.
That phone won't do you any good dunked under water grabbing a fish you are trying to land or swimming/diving. The G-Shock is rated at 200 meters. I've never broke or damaged one yet. They do wear out though. The plastic and rubber I mean. It's usually from rotting and being attacked by solvents such as brake cleaners and paint thinner.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,982,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wearing a watch just feels weird to me. I dont like them. Only people who seem to be watch wearers are women (if it goes with their outfit) and your Floyd Mayweather types who like to flaunt and be flashy. I dont like wearing jewelry at all really. I wear my wedding ring, and on very very very rare occasions I have a few Thai gold necklaces with a couple of really old ancient buddha pendants that I may wear. But havent put one of those on in a few years.

Everyone I see now always have their phones out checking e-mail or texting. Seems like there really isnt a need for watches anymore.
What industry do you work in?

Gold necklaces and pendants?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 PM

17,606 posts, read 21,805,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's easier for me to look at the watch on my wrist than to fish in my purse for my phone.
Agree totally. I love my watch. I have a Movado museum watch. It's sleek and a work of art.

I keep the phone thing simple and I don't like being hooked up to an electronic device all the time, I don't walk around with a phone glued to my head all day and I'd rather not fish around for it either. Looking at my wrist is a lot easier.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,838,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
What industry do you work in?
Outside of the personal training, martial arts training and occasional bodyguarding, I am in Investment Banking (Financial advising, estate planning, wealth management, etc.). I really only wear the necklace(s) when flying because it is believed they bring good luck and protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Gold necklaces and pendants?
Yep. Remnants of a past life when I was married to my first wife who was Thai and ultra religous (Buddhist). Gold is solid gold necklaces that were gifts and the pendants are all buddhist, either hand made by famous monks or very very old heirloom type tiny buddha shaped amulets. Like this:

and this:

on solid gold necklaces similar to this (note the Thai style connection):

Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,537,274 times
I have worn a watch since I was about 6 and love them. I would be lost without my watch. I do have a cell phone which is pretty much always switched off ( I only use it for emergencies and the extremely rare text asking my husband to pick me up somewhere)so having to fish out my cell out of my handbag and switching it on would take me far longer than looking at my wrist... Also I am obsessed with the time and almost obsessively punctual so I look at my watch rather a lot...

And I do know quite a few people who DO NOT have a cell , some old people ( still human beings, I know it is hard for some people to accept) and some people who refuse to have one because they refuse to become slaves to that thing. Some even seem to lead useful productive civilised lives without them... Go figure.

Watches to me are practical and an accessory and I have one for each occasion and mood. I have actually been asked quite a few times for the time recently so I guess there is still a use for it. I also find timepieces things of beauty mechanically speaking for the more expensive or vintage type ones.

A man who tells me the time on his watch is going to be a lot more attractive to me than a guy glued to his cell phone so much it is never switched off.

Different strokes for different people.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 AM

7,658 posts, read 7,471,303 times
I wear a watch every day, but I'm a "watch nerd" so I probably don't count. I see lots of people wearing watches, myself.

I will never not own at least 1 watch. I just can't fathom it.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 AM

385 posts, read 1,125,380 times
I wear a watch and don't consider it an accessory. It a functioning time piece that let's me know the time whenever I need to know.

I don't stayed glued to a phone all day, keeping it turned off most of the time. Even when it's on, I don't think to check it for the time because I have my watch.

Furthermore, you can't see the time if your phone battery goes dead.

IMHO cell phones are just a fancy leash and nothing more. Most cell phone users think they look so important, that all their calls are just so, so important, when in reality, you're tethered and have lost your freedom.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,468,942 times
I recently purchased a Rolex Air King circa 1962.
It's not only a timepiece, it's precision and it's art.

The art of handmade timepieces will never disappear because their are those that appreciate something that actually represents beauty, art and precision craftsmanship to mediocrity and a faceless existence.

Smartphones are for the masses. Handmade timepieces are for those that know what art is and prefer to wear it.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,936,603 times
I'm of the mindset that a watch is both a functional accessory as well as a piece of jewelry. I never leave home without a watch and I have a small collection of time pieces that I alternate depending on what my plans are for the day.

My favorite watch that receives the most wrist-time is my Rolex Submariner, love this watch. It goes well with jeans and a t-shirt and equally well with a suit and tie. For truly formal occasions, I throw on my Datejust, it blends in well with a formal atmosphere and isn't as large and obtrusive as the Submariner.

I don't think watches will be going anywhere for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty