U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,724,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
GORGEOUS!

and to go back to my original link of that bride, wouldn't she have looked stunning in a beautiful cream gown that was not low cut and with some very wide straps or a cute jacket made of lace??
So classy and pretty.
I agree. With her neck, though, I'm not sure about the jacket. I think you kind of have to have a thin, long sort of neck to pull off the lace jacket over wedding gown look...

You're talking this kind of jacket, right?

Those are very pretty, and can work to improve the look of a strapless dress.

I just don't like open armpits, backfat, side rolls, or too much cleavage put on show at weddings. Maybe I'm old fashioned. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,499,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Kate's gown had long sleeves...
Those look like tiny sleeves. I have muscular arms and there is no way I could get my arms in a contraption like that

Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Those look like tiny sleeves. I have muscular arms and there is no way I could get my arms in a contraption like that
Yeah -- but that was made for her. So the fit was perfect.

I am broadshouldered so the whole strapless thing isn't for me at all. Add to that is my deep seated (old fashioned) opinion that one doesn't get married in a CHURCH in a strapless gown....

But I am an old fogie. I am happy to say my niece and nephew both chose non-church venues to get married in so strapless gowns were fine for that.

But back when Kate Middleton married her Prince, I was shocked to read a few designers were upset she didn't go strapless, because, I am sure, that's what they design!

Holy cow! She was married in WESTMINSTER ABBEY. That church was built in 1245.... but kings and queens have been crowned and buried here since 1066.... if that's not a formal enough place to wear some freakin' sleeves I don't know what is.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times
I wish there were more choices for gowns. I was quite slender when I married, but had horrible acne, all over my back and shoulders. It was so bad I simply refused to go to formals, proms, etc, because that was all that was available. For my wedding I had a gown just like kate's---glad to see she has style!

Not everyone has either the figure or the skin to wear strapless gowns. I had people constantly badgering me to wear strapless gowns, I was "too modest" until they saw the extent of the acne. It wasn't something that a tube of clearisil would cover!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,484,970 times
No, not everyone can.
Who cares. If they're happy, good.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,085,743 times
I for one am heartily sick of strapless wedding gowns.

Almost every single bride in Australia for the last 10 years has worn one - whether they "can" or not...usually paired with an oompa-loompa tan and french manicure.

It is so, so old. Tiresome, overdone, and dare I say...skanky? I've seen fat arms, rail-thin arms, tattooed arms, hairy arms, truck driver arms, all spilling out of white boobsquashing tubes. I'm not sure when exactly it became so fashionable to look like a cross between cinderella and barbarella on your wedding day but I wish it would just stop.

Ivanka Trump's wedding dress was a triumph - full length sleeves, no boobage...so was Princess Mary of Denmark and of course Kate Middleton. Beautiful, elegant and not a shoulder in sight.

I know this is about strapless gowns in general...I could NEVER wear one...just because I am so sure that at some stage during the night, either a toddler or a drunken party guest would pull it down.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,278,312 times
I didn't look at the pics because I'm not going to criticize what someone wanted to do/wear that made them happy. However I will say I wish more brides would be true to themselves and their style of dress when choosing a wedding gown. That goes for not being pressured to wear strapless, or a white gown or whats considered "tradition". So many brides choose gowns based on what and how someone else feels instead of choosing a gown that compliments THEIR personality and style. I love watching Say Yes To The Dress but it also upsets me when I see brides who have no identity, is only concerned with pleasing everyone else but themselves, and the mothers who think it is them who are getting married and not their daughters.

Whatever a bride wants to wear she can wear it if it makes her happy regardless of how anyone else feels about it. I love that designers are making more colored gowns because not every bride wants a white/ivory/cream wedding gown.

Last edited by Shysister; 04-09-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,574,458 times
She looks fine. You should chill out and stop trying to control people.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,724,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
...usually paired with an oompa-loompa tan and french manicure.
lol This happens in America, too... and yes it is so old and outdated, and unattractive.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
I think she looks fine except for the leaning shot. You can not do anything but sit up strait in a strapless no matter what your size. I think the woman in the OP looks better with strapless or the dress Unexpected posted. Thick arms fat or thin look like crap in lace and jackets.( Like sausages squished into a casing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty