Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I disagree.
They are out there... you just have to look for them.
Also, straps (of all sorts of styles and widths) can be added to any gown.
I was going to say the same thing. Some of the most gorgeous wedding gowns I have seen actually have these almost elbow-length sleeves on them. I love that style, so beautiful.

Like this:

Love those pink shoes, too! I would have worn my old black converse/chick taylors... but whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

This one is nice, too:

Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I think that not everyone looks their best in strapless, but frankly who cares if her arms aren't toned. I'd much rather see big arms in a strapless dress than completely inappropriate amounts of skin for the setting on any body type. (Ahem daisy dukes at work, bare midriffs at work, cleavage to your navel you get the idea.)

At some point you just have to live and let live. So many people are so afraid of little things like having big arms in a sleeveless outfit that they refrain from doing things that are fun or they are interested in because they "don't have anything to wear."

I think: just do it.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Those gowns with the sleeves are both very pretty. I'll bet the second gown with the shirred top would be flattering on a full figured lady, too.

Judging from what the bride and groom are wearing in the OP, I'm guessing that the vow renewal was being done on a fairly tight budget. If the bride had gone much fancier with her gown she would have looked overdressed compared to her polo shirt wearing groom.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I was going to say the same thing. Some of the most gorgeous wedding gowns I have seen actually have these almost elbow-length sleeves on them. I love that style, so beautiful.

Like this:

Love those pink shoes, too! I would have worn my old black converse/chick taylors... but whatever...
GORGEOUS!

and to go back to my original link of that bride, wouldn't she have looked stunning in a beautiful cream gown that was not low cut and with some very wide straps or a cute jacket made of lace??
So classy and pretty.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Like this:

This is a new trend since the Royal Wedding. In the past couple years I have done a ton of wedding shopping with friends. After looking at 100-150 dresses, I think I saw 2 or 3 with sleeves that didn't look matronly. They are not east to find if it is something you want. It is hard to find dresses with straps.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Because too low cut will look like this:

Hurt Photography | Connell Vow Renewal | Photo 17

poor lady
And I just realized it was a vow renewal ceremony :O
ahhhh...that's another topic {what's with all the vow renewal ceremonies every few years?!}

Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Kate's gown had long sleeves...

But if she is the reason for any kind of sleeved wedding gowns coming back into fashion, THANK YOU KATE. Her gown was beautiful but personally I didn't like the deep v-neckline on her.

I never liked the strapless/sleeveless wedding gown trend. Unless you have no boobs and are some kind of model, it just looks trashy IMO.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I wish someone would have told this sweet lady that a strapless gown is NOT flattering on her or most women (unless you are thin and have toned arms a strapless gown is not for you)
Hurt Photography | Connell Vow Renewal | Photo 17

I don't know these people, but time after time, I see women wearing a strapless dress who should NOT be wearing it.

In my opinion women should wear gowns that flatter their figure, taking into account the weather, color choices and style of the dress.

In my early years, I did wear sleeveless dresses, such as sheaths or sleeveless tunics (early 90s) but now I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

I even advise my 20 y.o. daughter NOT to wear a sleeveless blouse to work.
Sleeveless is not appropriate attire for many places including work.
What do you all think about it?

This just seems...mean spirited. This is some random woman's vow renewal who you don't even know and you put her pictures up here, without a lick of anonymity, just to ridicule her.

The sleeveless dress looks as good as any other dress she could have chosen. She doesn't have much to work with and I think she looks about as good as she can. Maybe a v-neck style would have looked better, but that's because it would support her bust better, not because she needs to be more covered up.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
This just seems...mean spirited. This is some random woman's vow renewal who you don't even know and you put her pictures up here, without a lick of anonymity, just to ridicule her.

The sleeveless dress looks as good as any other dress she could have chosen. She doesn't have much to work with and I think she looks about as good as she can. Maybe a v-neck style would have looked better, but that's because it would support her bust better, not because she needs to be more covered up.
Now see, THAT dress is stunning and would have looked a lot better on someone with her build.

My intent was not mean spirited or to ridicule anyone. Her photos are public, they are on the net and meant to be seen by anyone.
I don't know her and neither do you.
And no where in my post, did I say anything hurtful or mean spirited about this nice lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty