U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 PM

348 posts, read 23,065 times
She said she weighs 224 pounds in that video. That's quite a bit for a woman IMO. From what I can tell in the video watching it, getting an overall idea of her stature, she should be no more than 180 tops. She's over forty pounds over weight. It also looks like that forty plus is in her upper body and not down low like many other women. That's just loose skin and jellyrolls. If you are twenty or less, big whoop. Even thirty is still under control. Those twenty extra pounds can melt off in a few weeks for a person who hits it hard and mans the gym as well as diet. Swimming laps would melt that fat off like popcorn butter above the popper. lol Forty plus is going to take some hard work. She would be less than honest on a dating site to call herself curvy. She's telling the truth as she sees herself in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM

1,125 posts, read 855,891 times
Unfortunately, society loves to beat around the bush. Some forbidden words/phrases that come to mind are:

Dead - How extensively will people avoid describing someone as dead?

Fat - See above.

Mental Retardation - Theoretically nothing wrong with this, but since "retard" was turned into a casual insult, we patronize such patients with the term "special."

I think it's a cheap coping mechanism to deal with something one cannot/will not control.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,861,385 times
Un-freaking-believable.

Dude on 42nd street begs with a sign:
"No cash. Need it for alcohol and picking up fat chicks"

In comes this overweight woman, spits into his bowl as she walks away.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,427,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Dead - How extensively will people avoid describing someone as dead?
I know. Once I went on a field trip to a hospital. They had "expired" charts!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM

5,325 posts, read 5,489,368 times
Nighttrain55 - I'm not afraid of being called fat. I am fat, I know I'm fat, I call myself fat. Which oh by the way always upsets people "oh you shouldn't talk about yourself that way". So I don't know what's up with all that.
Now if someone I knew didn't like me called me fat in a particular tone of voice - well you know thats not just a descriptive term but an insult. Context and tone can mean a lot. Basically in normal adult conversation overweight sounds better than fat, its just a politeness thing. More people use the word 'poop' than crap or **** or feces. They all mean the same thing but one sounds a little less offensive for whatever reason.

I loved this vid. Do I think people should give up trying to lose weight? No. But I do agree that the focus should be on health, eating right and exercise. She's got that part right.

I really related to her message of - don't wait to do things in life. Because I've done that a lot for years. Totally wasting my life because I'm afraid people won't want to deal with the fat person in the crowd, its just so embarrasing you know your being judged. Mental health can really play a part in emotional eating, if you feel comfortable in life and enjoying yourself that too plays a part.

That ESPECIALLY goes toward exercising. I am extremely independent and do all manner of things alone. But when it comes to exercise, which I hate, group exercise is about the only way it happens for me. I can walk into the gym, get on an elliptical and get off and leave in 5 min. If I'm in a class though, I tend to stick it out. But its soooo humiliating. That part of the video made me tear up because I just joined a gym. I searched the internet for close to a year trying to cobble together a modest bathing suit outfit I would feel comfortable in because I have a bad back. And last night for the first time I attended one of the classes. Unlike some instructors in the past who totally ignore the fat person in the room (or in one case at a Gold's gym many years ago actively tried to talk me out of her class because I wouldn't be able to keep up) this woman, while not paying me special attention, did correct my step in place form I was doing while they did something I couldn't and gave little nods of encouragement. She did I think tone down the class for me and I got the impression when coming back from a drink break it was being discussed. I finished and it was great and I want to go back but I also was in near tears on the way home.

And if she's 220 she's probably 6'

Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,324,603 times
I'm not afraid of the word "fat" and call people FAT all the time. I'm not politically correct; I've never used the words "full figured" etc. just FAT. I don't tell people to their face they are FAT but when talking about them or describing them to a friend. I'm a size 00 so yea, the woman in the video looks fat to me... Just being real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty