Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,765,447 times

Advertisements

There's so much effort put into trying to parse out the differences between thick, plus-sized, chubby, fat, curvy, full-figured, yada yada yada and those conversations always seem to go in circles.

But how many of these terms exist because there really is a difference between them and how many are just ways of steering clear of that dreaded word, fat? Do you have to be in a state for Oompa-Loompas to roll you out of the room before you are considered fat? Or can you be fat when you're carrying 15 extra pounds of jiggle?

Are people just afraid of being called fat?

I really enjoyed this video. I don't agree with everything she says, but I think she has a wonderful attitude.

A Fat Rant. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,641,465 times
Despite my fat rants on C-D, I've never called anyone fat in real life.

It's a slur much like retarded, the n word and every other offensive word against a particular group.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,315,199 times
....calling someone fat is like the n word huh.... smh

Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,993,162 times
She's not that fat... She's tall and pretty proportionate. She's just a big girl.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM

26,714 posts, read 22,332,762 times
I think that the way Unexpected Error sees women, it's either size 0 or size 5X with nothing in-between))))

( I mean I am getting this picture from her...)

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I think that the way Unexpected Error sees women, it's either size 0 or size 5X with nothing in-between))))

( I mean I am getting this picture from her...)
You must not be reading carefully enough.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You must not be reading carefully enough.
I did.
So if someone is saying that this girl's arms are too thin, you are immediately posting a picture of elephant-size arms, and if someone is criticizing a model, you are posting a video of 5X gal.

(Me personally - don't care either way, really. )
I don't have anything against thin women - I think they look fine, ( as long as it comes natural and they don't have to torture themselves, particularly at the young age.)
Fashion industry is actually fun too ( again - as long as it doesn't harm the youngsters.)

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I did.
So if someone is saying that this girl's arms are too thin, you are immediately posting a picture of elephant-size arms, and if someone is criticizing a model, you are posting a video of 5X gal.

(Me personally - don't care either way, really. )
I don't have anything against thin women - I think they look fine, ( as long as it comes natural and they don't have to torture themselves, particularly at the young age.)
Fashion industry is actually fun too ( again - as long as it doesn't harm the youngsters.)
No, I'm immediately posting an alternate image to show her arms are not as thin as they appear and posting an image of the type of arm I see every day in real life. And I started this thread because the other started to go off topic and I wanted to hear how people feel about the adjective "fat."

I stick up for the skinny gals because I am one but I don't ridicule those who are larger and I resent your judgement.

Btw, that woman is 3X, not 5X, and her message is far more compelling than her size.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,063,878 times
Quote:
There's so much effort put into trying to parse out the differences between thick, plus-sized, chubby, fat, curvy, full-figured, yada yada yada and those conversations always seem to go in circles.

But how many of these terms exist because there really is a difference between them and how many are just ways of steering clear of that dreaded word, fat? Do you have to be in a state for Oompa-Loompas to roll you out of the room before you are considered fat? Or can you be fat when you're carrying 15 extra pounds of jiggle?

Are people just afraid of being called fat?

I really enjoyed this video. I don't agree with everything she says, but I think she has a wonderful attitude.

A Fat Rant. - YouTube
the answer to this question is yes, people are afraid to be called fat. That is why we have different ways to describe somebody who is fat but doesn't want to admit it. I can admit it, i'm fat. I've got no problem with telling people that, but my friends would try to describe me as a "big guy". This is the world we live in.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Btw, that woman is 3X, not 5X,
Oh boy how could I))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty