U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM

42,851 posts, read 51,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Sierra, I agree 100%! Self-hatred.
I have nothing against feature enhancement (I do it myself), but enhance your own features, for Pete's sake; don't try to look like another race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM

7,527 posts, read 7,084,049 times
Welp, from one who loves make-up. . .

Don't like it. Fake lashes are way too thick and the contacts only makes their irises look too big. And I didn't like the fake gray eye at all.

It's too bad that these girls think they need to "transform" themselves this drastically. I always thought Asian eyes look terrific with enough makeup to enhance the shapes.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 PM

91 posts, read 107,640 times
Default This is just a game show

Actually, this is a costume look - they are trying to achieve the innocent, big-eyed, Japanese "manga" girly styles. Using dramatic eye make-up and multiple layers of faux lashes give them the cutsy transformation. It's not everyday style.

Also, the producers had instructed the girls to act and look extra frumpy so the contrast of before/after stands out more. That's the goal of the game show - who achieves the greater degree of transformation wins.

It's just a game show.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,182,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
LOL, yep. There's a bit of skill involved in that "no make-up" make-up look. When pictures of celebrities are shown "without makeup" they are still wearing a ton, it's just applied to look "natural".
Make-up is fun, but as others have said it's for enhancement of features and not disguise. When I was young (teens and early 20s) I could get away with wearing zero makeup. As I'm getting old (early 30s), I'm finding it almost necessary. The people who've seen me like that now have said I look sick or tired. I also find people treat me differently (men and women alike) when I'm wearing a little as opposed to none.
The circle lenses thing is weird though, but it's a weird fad and there are plenty of them (like stretched earlobes, yuck). I would never wear them, but the idea of contact lenses skeeve me anyway. I would love to change my eyecolor, though.
Early 30's? Old? Darlin' you're just getting started! You haven't even hit the best years. And there are some things that you can do to not look tired. But enjoy NOW - someday you'll look back and say, "Dang, I wish I could look like I did when i was 35!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
How about the real power of "non-makeup"????
Too much chemicals on the face = aging the face faster .
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
On what grounds are you making this assertion? I demand proof.
He's actually right. Some of the chemicals in the anti-aging makeup will age you faster. I've been making my own face creams and makeup for 30 years. You can tell! I'm still mistaken for 10-15 years younger.

Environmental Working group and NatGeo have identified the "dirty dozen" chemicals that have been put in makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To me this thread is not really about make-up. I could relate to people living in foreign countries doing something like that, but to be in your own country, surrounded by your own people who look just like you, and still feel the need to do that is truly pathetic and sad... I don't get this level of self-hatred...
Awe Sierra, don't be a grump. Makeup has nothing to do with Self-hatred. It has to do with having fun, primping, being girly girls. We like to enhance our better features and downplay the rest. And it's ancient and tied to some spiritual practices going back thousands of years. The History of Cosmetics

As for this WONDERFUL video - first, thank you! That was a romp. The man/woman (?) with the short black hair reminds me of a Korean Joan Rivers. LOL

And from what little Korean I understand (and it's very very little) I gathered that at least one of these women is an actress and she came on without her makeup to show that it's all smoke and mirrors. Cindy Crawford did this once on Oprah. Rather than just being about "makeup is good for you..." the theme of the Crawford piece was, "Hey girls, I look just like you. Don't hate yourself or think you have to change at all. It's just makeup and we're just having fun."

Besides - don't all you guys like looking at beautiful ladies?
check this site out (granted, they're stretching the years with some of these, but whoa!)

Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM

9,825 posts, read 7,485,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To me this thread is not really about make-up. I could relate to people living in foreign countries doing something like that, but to be in your own country, surrounded by your own people who look just like you, and still feel the need to do that is truly pathetic and sad... I don't get this level of self-hatred...
I don't think it's self hatred. I just thought the video was cool.

I had a buddy who's wife looked like she'd seen 20 years of hard living. She's put on make up and I swear to god, it was like she lost 20 years on her face. The video is about that dramatic.

You don't need make up to be beautiful. That comes from within. I think all women are beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Early 30's? Old? Darlin' you're just getting started! You haven't even hit the best years. And there are some things that you can do to not look tired. But enjoy NOW - someday you'll look back and say, "Dang, I wish I could look like I did when i was 35!"

He's actually right. Some of the chemicals in the anti-aging makeup will age you faster. I've been making my own face creams and makeup for 30 years. You can tell! I'm still mistaken for 10-15 years younger.

Environmental Working group and NatGeo have identified the "dirty dozen" chemicals that have been put in makeup

Awe Sierra, don't be a grump. Makeup has nothing to do with Self-hatred. It has to do with having fun, primping, being girly girls. We like to enhance our better features and downplay the rest. And it's ancient and tied to some spiritual practices going back thousands of years. The History of Cosmetics

As for this WONDERFUL video - first, thank you! That was a romp. The man/woman (?) with the short black hair reminds me of a Korean Joan Rivers. LOL

And from what little Korean I understand (and it's very very little) I gathered that at least one of these women is an actress and she came on without her makeup to show that it's all smoke and mirrors. Cindy Crawford did this once on Oprah. Rather than just being about "makeup is good for you..." the theme of the Crawford piece was, "Hey girls, I look just like you. Don't hate yourself or think you have to change at all. It's just makeup and we're just having fun."

Besides - don't all you guys like looking at beautiful ladies?
check this site out (granted, they're stretching the years with some of these, but whoa!)

Cindy Crawford once said, "I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford."

Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,182,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Cindy Crawford once said, "I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford."
Good one. Tried to rep you but got you earlier.
This quote really says it all.

Here's an article about all the photoshopping that goes on
Photoshopping: Altering Images and Our Minds | BEAUTY REDEFINED

Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 8,800 times
I like color contacts, but I'm not a huge fan of the circle lenses, I think they make you look like an anime character. In addition to the lenses and fake lashes, many Asian girls use these thin strips of double sided tape to lift their eyes and create a double lid, a la Caucasian eyes. If you look at the before and afters their eyelids are noticeably higher in the after pics. That makes a huge impact in transforming their face.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM

9,825 posts, read 7,485,439 times
Meet the real-life Barbies: Internet craze sees teenagers turn themselves into freakish living dolls | Mail Online

This is ...kind of creepy. It's like they can stare into your soul... .and devour you with the fake lashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty