U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 AM

2,723 posts, read 1,582,927 times

Advertisements

Whenever I go to the mall I see so many stores where they have nice clothing but it is way overpriced. One example I can think of is Buckle. I like some of their clothes but I do not want to pay $50 for a t-shirt and $100 for jeans. Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 AM

3,572 posts, read 5,959,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Whenever I go to the mall I see so many stores where they have nice clothing but it is way overpriced. One example I can think of is Buckle. I like some of their clothes but I do not want to pay $50 for a t-shirt and $100 for jeans. Anyone else feel this way?
Yes. And I feel as though only a naive individual or fool pays retail for clothing, with the exception of something that you really want or need and had a hard time finding. For the most part, individual clothing stores with a very specific theme, narrow variety, and an emphasis on logo clothing aren't my thing. I favor department stores.

Department stores are great. They have sales often enough, there's no reason to pay retail. Although, even (or especially) at department stores (especially Nordstrom and young/trendy sections of other upscale stores), a lot of folks really do waste A LOT of money. (Nuevo riche, financially-uneducated, superficial, something to prove). Some things that are alright to spend a large amount on are high-quality and versatile coats (good wool, cashmere, lambskin, etc.) that you'll wear for years and the same for classic shoes like high quality loafers. But spending big money on superficial BS is insane. Of course, as far as department stores VS individual stores, the latter basically pairs matching things for you (or everything matches), whereas at the former you really have to know how to dress yourself.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:47 AM

8,131 posts, read 9,718,042 times
Wow,I have a long list.
J Crew,Jc Penny,Walmart(I know its cheap,but it only lasts one wear,and then its all gone)
Sears,Century 21,Khols,Nordstroms,Ashley Stewart,and the Avenue.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 AM

3,725 posts, read 4,349,372 times
It all comes down to cost-per-wear. I've bought some expensive pieces that have looked great on me and held up well and versatile enough that I've been able to wear them for years, so the cost-per-wear drops to pennies. And I've gotten some cheap to moderately priced pieces that didn't hold up through the second washing or the zipper wasn't sewn in well so the drape was affected, etc., so the cost-per-wear remained quite high.

I buy bright tanks for $3-$5 from Target and love them -- yes, they wear out after a season, but the price works for that -- but the t-shirts I get there for $8 are usually misshapen by the second or third washing and so I'd rather spend $25-$30 for a tee at Ann Taylor or similar for a piece that lasts through a couple of seasons.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM

20,428 posts, read 34,019,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Yes. And I feel as though only a naive individual or fool pays retail for clothing, with the exception of something that you really want or need and had a hard time finding.

That's my family...not naive or foolish, but tough to find 37 and 39" inseams for ladies and 38" sleeves for men.
IF we find it, we buy it... even at retail.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM

25,945 posts, read 26,650,881 times
It would probably be better to say which stores are not overpriced. Most of them are, especially as quality has gone down since the manufacturing has been cheapened.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,051,543 times
If clothing is expensive AND is quality, I've got no problem with it. However, I can't stores like Banana Republic and Express, where the clothes are expensive AND the clothing is poorly made with bad materials/stitching.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 AM

3,157 posts, read 7,693,855 times
I like a lot of J Crew's clothing but you have to be insane to pay the retail price. Almost every day you can grab a coupon code for 20-30% off online. I will look in person at a store, find my correct size, then save 30% by purchasing online. The only thing I buy at their stores are sale and clearance items, which are not returnable so if you buy an incorrect size online, you are screwed.

Gap has questionable quality on many items but I really like their trouser pants for work, regularly $60. Again, multiple times a week they have 30% off online. I know my size there, so I only buy when I can knock 1/3 off the price.

Macy's is the worst offender for sale prices. Every other week they have a big "one day" sale. I would never, ever buy anything there at the full retail price.

Once you have stores you know you like, look at their online stores. Most seem to have predictable sale cycles where you'll never need to buy at full price.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,186,994 times
That's my family...not naive or foolish, but tough to find 37 and 39" inseams for ladies and 38" sleeves for men.

wow- I thought I was tall with a 34" inseam-is the 39" to wear with high heels are are you really that tall? try Ebay.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post

wow- I thought I was tall with a 34" inseam-is the 39" to wear with high heels are are you really that tall? try Ebay.
Uh, 34" inseam is typical "regular" length. Maybe 33", but tall sizes are generally 36-37".

I had a roommate the same height as me, but she had to buy taller jeans because more of her height was in her legs. It was funny when we would sit down next to each other because I would suddenly look several inches taller than her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or