Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I dated a chemist who worked for the leading cosmetics companies. He told me that they are way overpriced and the ingredients really only cost pennies. He also said that many of the ingredients are not good for you.

I seldom use drug store cosmetics because they are made with mineral oil, a petroleum product. I think an oil that is plant derived would be more natural for use on the skin than something that is fit for use in greasing a car engine.

Some of the hugely expensive products use "secret" ingredients which turn out to be nothing more than seaweed. Seaweed may be good for the skin but I found a product with seaweed in a natural food store and it's showing up in drug stores too--not that expensive. Copper peptides seem to be good for the skin too and I'm pretty sure that's the "secret" ingredient in Avon Anew.

But depending on what you are trying to do, there are homemade products that can work really well. Things like olive oil or coconut oil. I make a concoction on the stove a couple of times a year using oils and cocoa butter, glycerin, beeswax--all natural and cheap. Just google things like--how to make your own cosmetics--and there are all sorts of recipes. That way you can tailor make it for your particular skin type and for what your needs are, save money, and it's fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:19 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
I agree with the OP, to a point.

I wouldn't buy skin care products at the Dollar Store. I'd be worried about ingredients.

I use night cream from Trader Joe's--best one I've ever found--$2.99.

Most cosmetics of mine come from the drug store, except for foundation. That I order because of a skin condition. It costs a lot but lasts really long. I've ordered mineral makeup products from small business owners too.

I use castille soap as a facial cleanser that costs under $2 per bar. cosmeticsdatabase.org has rated many products for safety, which is what led me to use castille soap.

For exfoliation, I use a peel-off facial mask from the drugstore, or I gently rub a slice of orange on my skin and rinse it off.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
I used the high-end skin care products for years with happy results, because my skin really did look great when I used Caudalie, Shiseido, etc.

However, for the last year I have been moving to all-natural or homemade products, in an effort to reduce my toxic load. I am finding that natural products from my kitchen like coconut oil as moisturizer; sugar as exfoliant; oatmeal as a mask; and lemon juice for acne and skin tone work just as well for me as the pricey brands I used to use.

Once I finish with the skin care products I currently have, I will make a complete move to all-natural and homemade skincare products. I'm also starting to buy all-natural makeup. They are not expensive and the colors look good, so if all goes well, I will move entirely to all-natural makeup, as well.

So I don't think it's necessary to spend much to find great skin care products.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Anybody use Lush or Perlier?

While I loved the smell of a couple of Lush scrubs one was $35 the other was $20...for a hand body scrub?
I use Lush's Ocean Salt scrub, and I love it.

I use it more in the winter (when I need to exfoliate more), usually about twice or so a week; and once a week in the summer.

One tub of it will last almost a whole year, cause you really only need a tiny bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I wouldn't buy skin care products at the Dollar Store. I'd be worried about ingredients.

Really? I have seen drug store brands there for cheaper than the drug stores; and their knock off products are supposed to work as well as the name brand.

Honestly, lately I have been using a mix of Lush and homemade stuff and stuff from the Amish. (we have an Amish settlement fairly close)

Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
I would only pay more for department store brands IF they gave better results, but when I tried them years ago, I found they weren't any better than most drug store brands.

My skin is so sensitive, though, that it reacts to, or doesn't respond at all to, some drug store brands either. So I keep it simple. I have used Cetaphil cleanser and lotion on my face for years. Sometimes, I'll switch up my routine with a line of products by Evan Healy that I get at Whole Foods. They're above average in price but still reasonable, especially considering they tend to last a while.

And I agree with the other poster who said that home products work well, too. I use coconut oil to remove mascara, and in winter, I sometimes add a drop or two of good olive oil to my moisturizer for extra moisturizing benefits.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Sometimes products that cost more also last longer becausenyou use only a tiny bit. I use a cleanser by Murad, and just a tiny drop is all i use, and not everyday. It lathers up and the texture and brightness of my skin is quite a bit nicer because of it. I use a cake eyeliner from Laura Mercier that goes on in a way nothing else compares. I have had the same box for 2 years and it is still good. I also love my Biotherm moiturizer which you cannot get in tne US i don't know why. It smells fresh and feels so good on my skin.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I probably shouldn't post here because I am male, but this thread title caught my eye. My comment is that we males are very lucky that we don't have to worry about/spend money on all that nonsense. I am pushing 70 and have never spent a dime on any skin care product except bar soap and sun screen. Although my skin doesn't look as good as it did when I was 20, I see nothing wrong with it and I don't waste any time or energy worrying about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
All of it is overpriced. What do you think your ancestors used? That's right water.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I used to use Cetaphil products before they got so expensive (I'm cheap).

I had adult acne (at 54!) and still have mostly oily skin, but that keeps the wrinkles at bay.

Lately, I've found that drinking more water is helping my skin. I've switched back to using Ivory soap at night for cleansing and a Leggit shampoo bar for my hair (less oily hair means less oil on my skin). I've stopped using make up, just let the sun shine on my skin 15 minutes each day. It's gotten a little darker, which takes care of the uneven skin tones. I'll start using sunscreen again when the angle of the sun gets higher in April.

At the moment, no acne, no wrinkles, and with the hint of tan, my skin looks decent. I think drinking more water has made the biggest difference. It's certainly cost-effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty