U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times

Advertisements

The "Do you think men will start shaving all over like women?" thread, as well as a thought I had some time ago, inspired me to create this thread.

There's a political theory called the "overton window". The "window" is basically that of our society's current perception and conciousness regarding what is normal, acceptable, or extreme. As time goes on, that window drifts - and thus what might have been unacceptable (or even inconceivable) at some time in the past is now.

Overton window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which brings me to my questions:

How much more revealing will women's dress become? What might become acceptable that isn't now? What's acceptable now that wasn't in the past?

This one seems a bit out there, but it's interesting to think about:

Will skirts get shorter? Will it become more widely acceptable for women to wear skirts commando and for us to see glimspes of their undercarriage out in public? Would we (men) then be expected not to stare and gawk? Apparently, there are already some women who have the urge to be as revealing as possible, to stretch the current limits. Might that faction drive ever more revealing dress mainstream? This is kind of weak, but here is at least some evidence such a desire and such behavior already exists:

Ladies do you ever go commando and if so how short is your skirt....? | Answerbag
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,787,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
The "Do you think men will start shaving all over like women?" thread, as well as a thought I had some time ago, inspired me to create this thread.

There's a political theory called the "overton window". The "window" is basically that of our society's current perception and conciousness regarding what is normal, acceptable, or extreme. As time goes on, that window drifts - and thus what might have been unacceptable (or even inconceivable) at some time in the past is now.

Overton window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which brings me to my questions:

How much more revealing will women's dress become? What might become acceptable that isn't now? What's acceptable now that wasn't in the past?

This one seems a bit out there, but it's interesting to think about:

Will skirts get shorter? Will it become more widely acceptable for women to wear skirts commando and for us to see glimspes of their undercarriage out in public? Would we (men) then be expected not to stare and gawk? Apparently, there are already some women who have the urge to be as revealing as possible, to stretch the current limits. Might that faction drive ever more revealing dress mainstream? This is kind of weak, but here is at least some evidence such a desire and such behavior already exists:

Ladies do you ever go commando and if so how short is your skirt....? | Answerbag
There are always going to be those who push the limits- wearing tiny skirts with no underwear, etc. I don't think the trend of revealing clothing is going anywhere.

Personally, I could do without women flashing their privates- that's a bit too revealing, and I think they should exercise some dignity when deciding what to wear in public.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 PM

155 posts, read 185,538 times
It will always depend on the woman's body. What would be acceptable on a physically attractive woman, would more than likely NOT be acceptable on an obese woman.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
There are always going to be those who push the limits- wearing tiny skirts with no underwear, etc. I don't think the trend of revealing clothing is going anywhere.

Personally, I could do without women flashing their privates- that's a bit too revealing, and I think they should exercise some dignity when deciding what to wear in public.
Interesting thoughts.

Another thought I had is what such a scenario as the skirts bit I wrote would be like for women. If such a phenomenon were to occur, I could easily see women who did not find it acceptable targeted with strong rhetoric - such as telling them they're just insecure, that they're not comfortable with their bodies, that they're conservative, narrow-minded, etc.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Hemlines go up and down with time. They were shorter in the 20s than 50s and went up again with the 60s and 70s. As the world becomes more interconnected and fashion trends change and spread like wildfire from year to year, the up and down of it gets harder to track and overall a wider range of trends become acceptable. I don't think we're on a slippery slope towards near nudity, we're on a roller coaster of hemlines.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Just like the width of men's ties, the fashion industry promotes changes in hemlines over several years so people will buy more to be "in style."

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times
I honestly haven't seen dress become more revealing in the past five or even ten years. If anything, there's a trend in the most revealing style of dress (swimwear) towards modesty - you wouldn't have seen as many one-piece swimsuits and especially not halter top / skirt combinations as you do now ten years ago.

There has been a definite long-term trend, associated with the loss of a sense of modesty, towards more revealing outfits. But other things influence apparel. Climate, for example - most regions of the affluent and liberal world have pronounced cold seasons, and in the U.S. at least, air conditioning is widespread.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,102,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If anything, there's a trend in the most revealing style of dress (swimwear) towards modesty - you wouldn't have seen as many one-piece swimsuits and especially not halter top / skirt combinations as you do now ten years ago.
This likely has more to do with the constantly increasing average size of the population.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Here's what I know -- about 5 or 6 years ago, most bras were simple cotton or microfiber cups. Not sheer, but usually one layer, and when it was chilly you knew women had nipples.

Then came "petals" -- silicone coverings for your nipples... to prevent "embarrassing" showthrough.

Now try to find one that doesn't have the "modesty" lining, which is foam padding. Jeez, I hate those things. I'm big enough without a layer of foam.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Yeah I think a lot of female clothing is as revealing as it can be without appearing 'immodest.' But then again, if it does get more revealing we'll just go full circle to the way we used to dress. It might take a little longer for the same to happen to men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty