Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,360,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
~Smacks hand with ruler

Did you ever get burnt on a bed in that era? I notice a lot of the younger girls at my salon go for the combo of UV and spray. I want to try it as it looks really brown and NOT orange. (mystic) Its expensive though. One spray costs as much as a monthly unlimited membership. It actually costs more if you get the cheaper packages on the base beds. (Considering how long it lasts)

When I was younger and going frequently/doing multiple sessions, I never burned, I also never looked really tan. I just had a nice, golden complexion. I did however burn when I gave it a shot not too long after the birth of my daughter. It wasn't long after that that I gave up tanning completely and started visiting the derm for checks.

I've never tried tried the spray tan.

Quote:

Before the regulations were set in place did salons push the skin type guidance at all? Was it even up to read?
LOL never. They ask "do you have goggles?" or eye protection and then sometimes ask if you need lotion. It's usually young kids (late teens or early 20s) working behind the desk, so they don't really care. They're more concerned with the music that's playing over the speakers.

The skin quidance is on then beds/stand ups for everyone to read, but I doubt many adhere to it, especially since you tell the front desk your minutes before entering the tanning room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM

810 posts, read 1,802,962 times
While I do support a "teen tan ban," I am not naive enough to believe that a ban like that will eliminate the threat of skin cancer amongst teens. Teens will still continue to tan, be it in a bed or outside, just as teens have always found a way around regulations and bans on other things.

Education is the key. By education, I mean a good sit-down conversation. No talking down to the teens like they're idiots, no melodramatic PSAs with sad music, just honesty.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,761,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
While I do support a "teen tan ban," I am not naive enough to believe that a ban like that will eliminate the threat of skin cancer amongst teens. Teens will still continue to tan, be it in a bed or outside, just as teens have always found a way around regulations and bans on other things.

Education is the key. By education, I mean a good sit-down conversation. No talking down to the teens like they're idiots, no melodramatic PSAs with sad music, just honesty.
That, and pushing the image that your natural skin tone is prettier than any fake one, that pale is pretty, too. I never want to hear another girl complain about looking "pasty". It bugs the snot out of me and it's a bit of an insult to anyone happy with their natural coloring.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,746,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
I recently saw this piece on the news regarding limiting the access persons under the age of 18 have to a tanning salon. Like how alcohol and tobacco items are age-restricted, looks like tanning beds are now going to become an age-restricted item.
Well teenagers are free to tan outdoor at the beach, pool or backyard. Perhaps we should institute an Islamic dress code, where teens are required to keep there bodies covered at all times to prevent skin related tanning diseases. After all it's for there own good.

Personally I think education is far more effective then making more laws restricting citizen's rights.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,529,034 times
My thoughts are this. Tanning beds should be regulated right out of existence. What a complete insane idea sitting in cancer causing radiation by choice!!! What is wrong with people that they can be so stupid? I personally know at least 10 people who have skin cancer and all of them have been big time tanners in their lives and that was just out in the sun's rays not in a radiation booth that is so much more intense. This is a good example of the kind of stupidity the government is supposed to protect the clueless consumer from.

Personally I also think the people that get tans in these booths look really bad. My youngest daughter came over the other day and she had been in one. I asked her if she was sick? She looked like a person with a bad liver condition. I hate being so negative but I tell you, My dogs are smarter than half the people out there today.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,675,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My thoughts are this. Tanning beds should be regulated right out of existence. What a complete insane idea sitting in cancer causing radiation by choice!!! What is wrong with people that they can be so stupid? I personally know at least 10 people who have skin cancer and all of them have been big time tanners in their lives and that was just out in the sun's rays not in a radiation booth that is so much more intense. This is a good example of the kind of stupidity the government is supposed to protect the clueless consumer from.

Personally I also think the people that get tans in these booths look really bad. My youngest daughter came over the other day and she had been in one. I asked her if she was sick? She looked like a person with a bad liver condition. I hate being so negative but I tell you, My dogs are smarter than half the people out there today.

You do realize that it is a cheaper way for medical treatment for some with skin conditions, pain, mood disorders etc. You engage in daily carcinogen use yourself most likely when there are other options.
WHO: Tanning Beds Cause Cancer
" “The UV light from a tanning bed is equivalent to UV light from the sun, which has had a (carcinogenic) classification since 1992. Some other items in this category are red wine, beer, and salted fish. "

Poor diet and obesity are play more largely in the development of cancer than tanning booths.

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

"The evidence indicates that of all cancer-related deaths, almost 25–30% are due to tobacco, as many as 30–35% are linked to diet, about 15–20% are due to infections, and the remaining percentage are due to other factors like radiation, stress, physical activity, environmental pollutants etc."

So we should ban kids from fast food and most school lunches as well.

I just hate it when a problem is blown out of proportion in order to distract from the bigger picture of what is an even larger issue.

Hate your tan
But love your curves
They both may love you to death!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You do realize that it is a cheaper way for medical treatment for some with skin conditions, pain, mood disorders etc. You engage in daily carcinogen use yourself most likely when there are other options.
WHO: Tanning Beds Cause Cancer
" “The UV light from a tanning bed is equivalent to UV light from the sun, which has had a (carcinogenic) classification since 1992. Some other items in this category are red wine, beer, and salted fish. "

Poor diet and obesity are play more largely in the development of cancer than tanning booths.

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

"The evidence indicates that of all cancer-related deaths, almost 25–30% are due to tobacco, as many as 30–35% are linked to diet, about 15–20% are due to infections, and the remaining percentage are due to other factors like radiation, stress, physical activity, environmental pollutants etc."

So we should ban kids from fast food and most school lunches as well.

I just hate it when a problem is blown out of proportion in order to distract from the bigger picture of what is an even larger issue.

Hate your tan
But love your curves
They both may love you to death!
There is a statement in this report that is a lie. Sure UV is UV but the damage done depends on the intensity of the UV. Tanning bed are many times the intensity of sunlight.

I was exposed to this same junk science while I was working at a nuclear power plant. They did everything they could to try to convince us that exposure to radiation had no discernable effects over the background rate in the general population. Can you even imagine such stupidity????

The head of radiation control was a man of 50 years old. When he started in the nuclear business back in the 50's they really did not know much about the effects and were very careless about exposure. Of the 40 young men he started off with in training, he was the only one left alive by the early 70's. All of his cohorts were dead and he was only 50 years old. Ya right, you can't detect any anomolies over general mortality in that eh?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,925,079 times
There are legitimate uses for tanning beds like some skin conditions and D deficiency. I've tanned a few times in my life when I lived in dark cold places and I loved it. But is it overall good for most people, no. Yes, teens like looking tan but many also use tanning as an affordable treatment for acne. You can't afford the Dermatologist but tanning is doable on a McJob type salary. And it works.

When I was young, I loved the tan look and so did everyone else. We all baked ourselves in the sun, usually covered in oil. Today, I look at the wrinkles on my face and wonder how much better I would look if I had avoided all that sun exposure. I guess I still believed I was bullet-proof and all those bad things were going to happen to someone else. In my defense, my baking years were long over by the time it became common knowledge the overexposure to sunlight was the biggest cause of skin cancer and premature ageing.

Teens don't need to tan. It's perfectly OK with me if it is made illegal. But I also believe we should know by now that you can't legislate morality or common sense. It just doesn't work.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Teens don't need to tan. It's perfectly OK with me if it is made illegal. But I also believe we should know by now that you can't legislate morality or common sense. It just doesn't work.
That's true but in a case like this if the machines are banned then you have to go back to the old fashioned SUN tanning.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM

18,370 posts, read 31,465,142 times
Why does it have to have a ban?
It is the choice of the individual to go in and get tan.
What is happening to our free country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty