Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times

Advertisements

I had a buddy who went to church and put five bucks in the collection plate. Someone made a comment that people should contribute more than that. He stopped going.

I guess the person who made that comment needed church more than did my pal.

We really don't know what the person next to us is going through.

We are all more comfortable with those in our own socioeconomic group, but somehow that sort of judgment seems harsh in church. Maybe that should be the subject of a sermon from time to time. Maybe that this is an issue means some pastors are not doing their job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I agree because I grew up the same way, but these non conformists probably have problems way beyond their appearance. The Church is to accept all of them, especially those most in need.

I am not Christian, but I do agree with a lot of the precepts of Christ. I am not a Christian because I am not sure that Christ existed and because I think it lays guilt trips on people which make them feel that they need to keep coming back to church to get rid of that guilt. It also is a religion that has often been used for political movements a lot, good and bad, and I don't think that should be done with a religion at all, ever.

There are people, poor people, who just take advantage of churches and government agencies. Their livelihood is to avoid being responsible and to mooch off of others. What does this open door church policy do with them? THey just prey on the pity of those around them.

I have no problem, if I think this is happening, to slam the door in their faces, but if you are Christian you just cannot do that. You are told to take ALL comers.

You are perfectly entitled to pick and choose which portions of the bible you will follow. I think all Christians do this, especially the fools who are anti-gay through some esoteric verses of the bible and yet wear cotton poly blends, etc.

When it comes down to it, we will have our little life retrospective when we die and we are only responsible for our own attitudes and deeds, regardless of what our church or neighbors think. We can only strive to be the best that we can be and when we fall off the horse, just climb back on.

Pretty much that is what I do. Pick and choose what parts of the bible make sense to me and are relevant.

And you are right there are verses in Deuteronomy that would get most polyester blend church ladies sent to hell just as as those who lie with a man.

Christianity still has relevance for me, but perhaps because I was not raised in a repressive church.
In fact one of my kids once asked "mom, like...what is our church against? What stuff aren't we allowed to do?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,168,999 times
I'ma preface this by saying, I am Christian and believe in God.

But church folks need to look no further than themselves for why young people don't go to church in some cases. Even when they don't say anything, their body language speaks volumes.

Not everyone wears or has a 3 piece suit. Guys were polos, tees, J's, etc, and thr older folk look at them sometimes as if they're butt *** naked.

I remember two months ago I wore a yellow cardigan and white loafers to church. My aunt said I looked gay (that's the pg-13 version) because of what I wore.

And you wonder why young people don't want to go to church, they get judged on what they wear. Some of my family hates that I wear jeans and high tops sometimes to church. They'll get over it, I'm not at church for them and their pleasure.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile One question -

Didn't Christ show time and time again that he was not judgmental?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
It depends on the denomination of the church.

For mine, it is very common to see people stopping by right after work, or during the work day during the various liturgies. You can see everything ranging from formal to someone who looked like he got done painting a house. Also many people stop by unexpected during a vacation or something and come when they realize one of our churches is in the area (speaking world wide here), so you get an assortment of dress with that.

Women are required to cover their heads and wear skirts, these are available to people who come and do not have these items with them.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Pretty much that is what I do. Pick and choose what parts of the bible make sense to me and are relevant.

And you are right there are verses in Deuteronomy that would get most polyester blend church ladies sent to hell just as as those who lie with a man.

Christianity still has relevance for me, but perhaps because I was not raised in a repressive church.
In fact one of my kids once asked "mom, like...what is our church against? What stuff aren't we allowed to do?
Oh, when I was young my best friend was a Jewish girl whom I went to school with. One Sunday my Sunday School teacher said Jews are going to hell because they don't believe in Jesus and Catholics were questionable because they worshiped statues. This confused me because they had, prior to this, preached a god who loved all things. I asked my Jewish friend about it and told her I did not believe what they told me. Her parents forbade her speaking to me anymore and they moved out of town a short time later. I remember our last phone conversation with both of us crying on the phone, not understanding why we could no longer be friends. She was the smartest kid in our class and the most interesting person.

What sickness organized religion can cause. How ugly.

What are we against? Sad.

Her parents probably worried that the town was full of rednecks.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,149 times
People do come to church rather diffrent however I keep in mind come as you are in heart and spirit - when the spirit takes over and guilde you - something deep inside will ursher your dressing pattern. after all we are to you give God our best. I guest that i am old school - nice tie and suit or even jeans and polo for the guys and ladies in nice heels and suit.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 17,149 times
to the women who dont believe in chirst....I just want you to know that he died for all of our sins. that we may have enternal life. john 3:16 says for god so loved the world (you are the ) that he gave his only begotten son that whomsoever believe ( black, white, gentile or jew) can have enternal life. God is love! look around you - what do you see that you love ? thats god in action, a husband, a child, even a cat that keep you company from time to time. God is love. Believe because jesus believes in you. when ever you been ill, god send you al healing for your body - look at he trees, the oceans the bird that sings outside your window on a spring day - thats god. oh my sister my love reaches out to you and i pray in the name of jesus that you will one day ....believe may god bless you and keep you amen

Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM

30,992 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Some Churches are a fashion show these days for sure. I'm not religous but the 1 or 2 times I go to church in a year depending on the church it's like going to a dance club on a Friday night.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,168,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Some Churches are a fashion show these days for sure. I'm not religous but the 1 or 2 times I go to church in a year depending on the church it's like going to a dance club on a Friday night.
Lol, I can't lie, I do observe what other young men are wearing. (Pause) For instance, I wasn't sure about buying a grey herringbone blazer, but after seeing how it looked and what it was worn with, I may go buy one.

I do agree though, some women dress like it's ladies night and wonder why people look at them like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty