U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,825,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Jesus wore robes and sandals, who are you to judge what people wear? All that matters is that they are there.

Robes and sandals that hid most of his skin. They surely weren't tight and cut well above his knees nor were his sandals the same kind that's worn by hookers and strippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,825,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why is anyone worried about what someone else wears to church? At least they're going. Seems to me if people are spending time critiquing fashion while they're at church they perhaps need to rethink why exactly they're at church to begin with.
Not worried at all. Just perplexed as to why these women insist on wearing this type of clothing to church.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM

17,002 posts, read 13,771,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Robes and sandals that hid most of his skin. They surely weren't tight and cut well above his knees nor were his sandals the same kind that's worn by hookers and strippers.
You do know that Jesus purportedly hung out with hookers and such, right? Seems like he wasn't so keen on judging folk, from what I recall from Confirmation...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM

17,002 posts, read 13,771,019 times
When I was an inner city youth outreach worker, I had a young man who came to church services at the church I worked for...one of several young black teens in the neighborhood who came to church on their own, without family. This kid, at about 14 years old, showed up at church wearing a bright red t-shirt with a big fedora silkscreened on the front and script that read, "pimp in training." I pulled him aside, explained gently why the shirt was offensive, and he turned it inside out. Now, in this case, the main reason he didn't think twice about wearing it was because he was down to about one set of clothing, borrowed from an older cousin, because his crackhead mom had gotten the family evicted, and all their belongings were thrown out in the street. He was staying with his grandma, and had basically nothing. When I found that out, I took him and his little sister shopping for some school clothes myself. Sure didn't tell him he wasn't welcome with his inappropriate clothes.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 AM

15,772 posts, read 15,387,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Not worried at all. Just perplexed as to why these women insist on wearing this type of clothing to church.
Maybe because they think they look good so they see no reason not to dress that way.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,921,638 times
Why is it that the same people who say, "God doesn't care what you wear" seem to be the same people who get all dressed up to go out and party?

But I always wear a long sleeve dress shirt with dress pants and church shoes with a tie to church. My grandparents told me to always look my best when going to church. I would wear a blazer but would be overly-dressed compared to everyone else at church, which is sad but true. Called me stuck in the past, but I much more prefer the church wear clothes of the 1940s and 1950s era.

I hate how some people go to church looking like they just rolled right out of bed. It's like some people have no sense of dignity and is a sign of laziness. People unfortantely justify this by saying God just wants us to show up.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 AM

7,508 posts, read 1,984,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Why is it that the same people who say, "God doesn't care what you wear" seem to be the same people who get all dressed up to go out and party?

But I always wear a long sleeve dress shirt with dress pants and church shoes with a tie to church. My grandparents told me to always look my best when going to church. I would wear a blazer but would be overly-dressed compared to everyone else at church, which is sad but true. Called me stuck in the past, but I much more prefer the church wear clothes of the 1940s and 1950s era.

I hate how some people go to church looking like they just rolled right out of bed. It's like some people have no sense of dignity and is a sign of laziness. People unfortantely justify this by saying God just wants us to show up.
No. The aim of the question is are you aware of your own consciousness and motivation when you dress up regardless where you go? Church and party are included. I know this is something a lot of Christian people struggle: do I want to look good for men or do I care how God looks at my heart?

Some people are not aware of how they dress until someone reveals it to them.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,312,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
But I don't feel there is anything wrong with the way I dress If I did go to church I would pick up a couple of pairs of slacks and a couple of blouses or a summer dress or two. I do have old fashioned feelings about dressing appropriately for the occasion
I love the way older ladies used to dress, like in the small towns where they would host a bake sale.
Hats and gloves. Kinda miss that!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Yes, but it's not the height that makes that heel inappropriate for church. It's the style. This is higher but more appropriate than this.

I love a nude patent leather heel! I would certainly wear that to church.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

Thank you. I am pretty tired of that overly-used cliche excuse, myself.
Looking your best for this particular occassion is always going to be important to those of us who value and respect-well, value and respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty