Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

You know, I totally understand the "God doesn't care" palaver. At the same time, I think it's a bit misplaced. No, you're not going to be denied God's grace because you wear a wifebeater to church. At the same time, how you dress speaks to how important this weekly encounter with the divine is in your life. It signals your respect for what will happen during that one hour in the sanctuary. It also signals your inner belief in its importance. I'm high church Episcopalian, where not wearing a necktie is a bit informal. To me, if I can't be bothered to put on a jacket and tie for one measly hour a week to commune with the Author of the Universe, the Holy of Holies, the Alpha and Omega, then I neither respect Him nor me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

But I always wear a long sleeve dress shirt with dress pants and church shoes with a tie to church.
Don't you trip over it?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I totally understand the "God doesn't care" palaver. At the same time, I think it's a bit misplaced. No, you're not going to be denied God's grace because you wear a wifebeater to church. At the same time, how you dress speaks to how important this weekly encounter with the divine is in your life. It signals your respect for what will happen during that one hour in the sanctuary. It also signals your inner belief in its importance. I'm high church Episcopalian, where not wearing a necktie is a bit informal. To me, if I can't be bothered to put on a jacket and tie for one measly hour a week to commune with the Author of the Universe, the Holy of Holies, the Alpha and Omega, then I neither respect Him nor me.

That is stated very well.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
But I can also dress more casually to crawl into the lap of my Abba Father.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
If church attire is so important, why were Adam and Eve created naked?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
God to mankind: "You really didnt listen to a word I said but you were dressed very nicely"

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
If church attire is so important, why were Adam and Eve created naked?
Adam and Eve didn't even know they were naked until they both ate the golden apple and gained that knowledge and thus were embarrassed. That's when God made it a sin and had people put on clothes.

Here's what I believe about church attire, if you know you have the money to at least dress decently for church, that's EXACTLY what you should be doing because you probably dress nice for other occasions. But what is the problem when it comes to dressing nice for God? To people who think that way like my mother, I don't buy that argument. People who have a problem dressing nice for church have other issues. They are just trying to use excuses like church attire to complain about the church. I know this because my mother has used this same excuse for the 17th million time we changed churches. You dress nice for other occasions like a party or an event, so dress nice for God. Yes, there are people who cannot afford this and are looking for God. That is why you don't dress extravagantly. You can dress nice without looking like a superstar and shaming someone who has no money. There is a balance. And if you know they are poor, we should be asking to help out in whatever way we can. Offer to help them buy some clothes and anything else they need. That is our job. But I do not buy that silly excuse "God doesn't care what I wear, he sees my heart." Yes, and he also sees your hypocrisy. You don't have to dress flashy. But dress decently. Don't dress sloppy like you woke up out of bed, don't dress with super short skirts or wear blouses that expose your cleavage and make men lusts. Cover it up. Comb your hair, iron your shirt,, iron your pants, even if it's jeans - wear some nice dress shoes with them. Have respect for God. You should be dressed in a way as if Jesus was sitting right next to you in that pew.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Do you all really think that Jesus is going to wait until we're all wearing nice clothes to return? No he isnt. He doesnt care what is on our bodies but rather in our hearts.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
THIS^

And it's not only about God! What about propriety and decorum?
If these same people were to go on a first date or a job interview I think they could pull something better together in terms of clothes.

I am not advocating that men wear a suit and tie each Sunday, or that women wear a dressy dresses or suits and high heeled pumps, panty hose and a hat. Hardly anyone desses that way for church.

It's not a fashion show, but it's not a day to clean out the attic either.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
THIS^

And it's not only about God! What about propriety and decorum?
If these same people were to go on a first date or a job interview I think they could pull something better together in terms of clothes.
Lazy people and wife beaters can put on a suit and tie just as easily as the next person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty