Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,764,496 times

Advertisements

No makeup seems like no big deal to me, but if you're used to a daily makeup routine and everyone is used to seeing you like that, going without can bring on some unfortunate comments. You'll get asked if you're sick or tired or if something is wrong. This woman went without any beauty treatments for a month and, uh, the results were not so pretty.

How would you look after a month with no cosmetics? We challenged one woman to ditch her entire beauty routine. The results were, to say the least revealing... | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,789,375 times
I like it.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,365,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
No makeup seems like no big deal to me, but if you're used to a daily makeup routine and everyone is used to seeing you like that, going without can bring on some unfortunate comments. You'll get asked if you're sick or tired or if something is wrong. This woman went without any beauty treatments for a month and, uh, the results were not so pretty.

How would you look after a month with no cosmetics? We challenged one woman to ditch her entire beauty routine. The results were, to say the least revealing... | Mail Online
I think the biggest difference is in the fact that she's not smiling in the comparison photo at the top of be article. Otherwise, she doesn't look dramatically different to me in the bottom photo where she has no makeup on and is smiling.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,680,831 times
OH THOSE NAILS...lol

Why couldn't she of buffed it off or taken it off...

I think she looks like she has the flu without makeup and a lot older than 39.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
OH THOSE NAILS...lol

Why couldn't she of buffed it off or taken it off...

I think she looks like she has the flu without makeup and a lot older than 39.

If I was starting that challenge, I would have removed all of the polish before starting!

And she didn't use lotion? For me lotion is not "optional" or for appearance. It is extremely uncomfortable for me not to have lotion. My skin is ultra dry.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,133,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

She purposely made it this way.

A) The lack of smiling. A frowning expression gives the entire face a gloomy effect. If you scroll down, she has a no-makeup picture where she's smiling and looks fine.

B) The nail polish. If she wanted to go au naturale, the nail varnish should have been removed so the viewer could see the health of the "used to be painted" section against the new growth. Thooough, did anyone notice that the chipped red is still very close to her cuticle? Did her nails stop growing during the four weeks or something?

C) And the hair. The least she could have done is run her fingers through her hair if she was forgoing a brush. The fact that she left it flying everywhere is misleading. Again, the picture below it with her hair in place looks fine.

Plain and simple, the before/after photo is purposely misleading and poor journalism.

In fact, going from this picture, she looks rather nice sans the fake face.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,401,781 times
You aren't allowing for the fact that this is the British paper the Daily Mail. It has a really bad reputation for slapping down women for stepping outside the most conservative type of conduct. And digital technology can basically make any picture look like anything.

I did a search on <makeup versus no makeup> and actually found an academic paper on it (but done with the involvement of someone from Procter & Gamble Cosmetics, so hmmm):
PLoS ONE: Cosmetics as a Feature of the Extended Human Phenotype: Modulation of the Perception of Biologically Important Facial Signals

Here's a multiple image of the same 3 models shown 4 times each, "without makeup and with natural, professional and glamorous makeup":

Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,764,496 times
To those who responded: I agree, the smile makes a big difference, but I think even her smiling after picture looks pretty dramatically different, though maybe she looks that way without makeup whether it's been a month or a day.

She probably had her nails done before the challenge because that's what she normally does. And she didn't buff them clean during the month because she didn't use any unnecessary beauty treatment. If her skin or lips were chapped or hurting, she moisturized, but nothing superfluous. Nothing for the sake of looking good.

My point isn't that she needed all her microdermabrasion, brazilian blow out, blah-di-blah to stay nice, just that when you're used to seeing someone in makeup on a regular basis, seeing them without can be shocking and it's no surprise people wondered if she was feeling under the weather.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,306,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
You aren't allowing for the fact that this is the British paper the Daily Mail. It has a really bad reputation for slapping down women for stepping outside the most conservative type of conduct. And digital technology can basically make any picture look like anything.

I did a search on <makeup versus no makeup> and actually found an academic paper on it (but done with the involvement of someone from Procter & Gamble Cosmetics, so hmmm):
PLoS ONE: Cosmetics as a Feature of the Extended Human Phenotype: Modulation of the Perception of Biologically Important Facial Signals

Here's a multiple image of the same 3 models shown 4 times each, "without makeup and with natural, professional and glamorous makeup":

For those women I like the looks best somewhere in between the second and third shots. I like the eyes on the third shots but I think the lipstick is too much on all of the women in the third shot. And shot #4, I think is awful for all of them.

I like understated makeup for women who want to improve their look.

I still don't want any for me

Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 AM

878 posts, read 2,007,546 times
I've cut down on makeup a lot. I've never really liked makeup at all. I only wore makeup because I have so many acne scars, I had to cover up but for some reason, most of it has cleared up so I use a minimal amount just to cover them. I hate it when people put makeup ALL OVER their face. I just put it on the areas I need coverup the most. I've been doing the "no makeup" look lately and I even go to the gym without makeup, not even a dab of concealer on and I think I look better and natural than when I have makeup on. I feel like a free person, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty