Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,683,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
She purposely made it this way.

A) The lack of smiling. A frowning expression gives the entire face a gloomy effect. If you scroll down, she has a no-makeup picture where she's smiling and looks fine.

B) The nail polish. If she wanted to go au naturale, the nail varnish should have been removed so the viewer could see the health of the "used to be painted" section against the new growth. Thooough, did anyone notice that the chipped red is still very close to her cuticle? Did her nails stop growing during the four weeks or something?

C) And the hair. The least she could have done is run her fingers through her hair if she was forgoing a brush. The fact that she left it flying everywhere is misleading. Again, the picture below it with her hair in place looks fine.

Plain and simple, the before/after photo is purposely misleading and poor journalism.

In fact, going from this picture, she looks rather nice sans the fake face.

I ignore smiles when it comes to photos because of it giving that false illusion. The before and after shots of anything always crack me up when they play the face game. Really shows you what professional models can do vs. everyday people. But I still think she looks ill and older than her age in that picture. She could use some spanx or or squats to take care of that backside.

I call cheating on buying a blow out before the "experiment"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,683,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
For those women I like the looks best somewhere in between the second and third shots. I like the eyes on the third shots but I think the lipstick is too much on all of the women in the third shot. And shot #4, I think is awful for all of them.

I like understated makeup for women who want to improve their look.

I still don't want any for me
Agree. I don't think "glamor" makeup looks good on anyone except people with faces like models and transvestites.

I don't know if its the bone structure or the personality that carries it off. Maybe a bit of both.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I've cut down on makeup a lot. I've never really liked makeup at all. I only wore makeup because I have so many acne scars, I had to cover up but for some reason, most of it has cleared up so I use a minimal amount just to cover them. I hate it when people put makeup ALL OVER their face. I just put it on the areas I need coverup the most. I've been doing the "no makeup" look lately and I even go to the gym without makeup, not even a dab of concealer on and I think I look better and natural than when I have makeup on. I feel like a free person, you know?
I hate foundation, too. But I found that I like tinted moisturizer.... but the one I like is mineral based, which is a little shiny. Can't use it just where you need it because it looks goofy.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,037,424 times
Quote:
Well, maybe the unattractive women who are jealous of the attractive women maybe,
Women need to stop paint chemicals on their faces to please other people. Yeah, yeah I know they do it for them selves. Right.

When MEN start wearing make-up then talk to me about women wearing it. (same with high-heels, which is a different topic)

Either you think you're good enough for someone to love as you naturally are -- or you don't.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,765,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Women need to stop paint chemicals on their faces to please other people. Yeah, yeah I know they do it for them selves. Right.

When MEN start wearing make-up then talk to me about women wearing it. (same with high-heels, which is a different topic)

Either you think you're good enough for someone to love as you naturally are -- or you don't.
Uh, I don't wear makeup to make people love me, that's silly. I wear it to look good for myself and, yes, for other people but I don't worry about going bare in front of my family, friends, or loved ones.

Men have grooming expectations, too. Not to the same degree as women, but I'm certainly grateful I'm not required to scrape a sharp blade across my face every day.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM

10,597 posts, read 12,037,424 times
Quote:
I don't worry about going bare in front of my family, friends, or loved ones.
Why do you concern yourself with it at all?

You said you do it for yourself. To me, wearing make-up means the person doesn't think she looks good enough without it. Why does a person's face need 'improving to be presentable?

Quote:
...I'm certainly grateful I'm not required to scrape a sharp blade across my face every day.
Neither do men unless their job requires no facial hair. There are plenty of men with beards.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,402,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Men have grooming expectations, too. Not to the same degree as women, but I'm certainly grateful I'm not required to scrape a sharp blade across my face every day.
You can be glad about that, but you don't have to scroll far down this forum to locate the thread titled "Do you shave your legs/underarms every day?"

Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Why do you concern yourself with it at all?

You said you do it for yourself. To me, wearing make-up means the person doesn't think she looks good enough without it. Why does a person's face need 'improving to be presentable?

Neither do men unless their job requires no facial hair. There are plenty of men with beards.
I said I do it for myself as well as those around me. Sometimes it's fun to be able to make yourself look different or manipulate what features are enhanced or hidden or transformed. It's the same reason I wear clothing of different color, style, and fabric and the same reason I wear my hair up or down or curly or straight or in braids.

I don't wear makeup most days and I'm not wearing any today, but it's absurd to accuse any person wearing makeup of some sort of character flaw. When I wear makeup, it's because I choose to.

Most men shave every day, whether their job requires it or not. There are also an inexplicable number of young men who shave their chests (I personally prefer a hairy man). The point is that men don't escape societal influence to look a certain way so it isn't only women who are being "oppressed" or whatever you think makeup is all about.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
You can be glad about that, but you don't have to scroll far down this forum to locate the thread titled "Do you shave your legs/underarms every day?"
Indeed, but the answers vary from every day to every few weeks to never and from speaking with male friends, shaving your face is much more obnoxious than shaving your legs or armpits.

But I don't mean to make it a contest. My only point was that men are not exempt from physical expectations.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM

878 posts, read 2,007,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I hate foundation, too. But I found that I like tinted moisturizer.... but the one I like is mineral based, which is a little shiny. Can't use it just where you need it because it looks goofy.
I hate that stuff. I was at a MAC store a few months ago, and this girl just wiped everything off my face and rubbed tinted moisturizer all over my face. It smelled so bad and it's not like I even have pores on my cheeks or anything. My cheeks are fine, that's why I never put any foundation on it but I definitely felt disgusting that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty