Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times

Advertisements

I don't wear hoodies.

No issue with them. I've just had the same style for the past 20 or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
There's a big difference between dressing casual (nice jeans, polo/dress shirt, fleece) and looking like total slobs. I do think the hoodie often crosses the line into the slob look. It's not attractive. I don't care if Zuckerberg does it, he's kind of earned his way to do whatever he wants. But most 17 year old teenagers haven't earned much of anything other than B grades and local state college. Some others have also mentioned that at Google you can wear what you want; but the reality is that most Google employees still wear polos. There's no need to dress like a slob. You aren't showing off your individuality at all. And regarding comfort, a nice zip-up fleece is often a lot more comfortable and warm than your static-ridden hoodie.

I'm a surgeon and we all wear dress shirts and ties when we are in clinic, and change to scrubs when we are in the OR. It's considered really poor form to be wearing your scrubs around everywhere.

Have some pride in your appearance. Everyone in this country is trying so hard to be one with the lowest common denominator and the results in almost every aspect haven't been flattering for our country lately.
This is a thread concerned with wearing hoodies if you are over a certain age. I don't think there is an appropriate age to stop wearing them, as they are good protection against wind. Maybe it depends on where you live.

I certainly do not think they are appropriate for most jobs, but that's a different issue.

(Those lady surgeons must really look odd in those dress shirts and ties.)

Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
I see all these young adults dressing with hoodies not unlike thugs and hoodlums. I would never let my grand children in my house wearing such trash. It shows immaturity and disrespect. Button up dress shirts and nice dress pants show that you care about how you look and shows respect to people you do business with. Jeans, hoodies, and t-shirts are for children.
Time to join the 21st century. I'm 63. I wear jeans, hoodies, and t-shirts regularly, especially when I'm working my butt off in my garden. Sometimes I even wear all three to work on "casual Fridays".

Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times
I think it is far more immature to even think you can judge someone's integrity or maturity by what they wear or not.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is a thread concerned with wearing hoodies if you are over a certain age. I don't think there is an appropriate age to stop wearing them, as they are good protection against wind. Maybe it depends on where you live.

I certainly do not think they are appropriate for most jobs, but that's a different issue.

(Those lady surgeons must really look odd in those dress shirts and ties.)
Thanks, just spit my tea out.

BTW, I began wearing them when I took up camping, I had to find a way to layer and keep warm without wearing my typical wool dress coats/jackes which weren't appropriate. Hoodie, merino sweater & t-shirt worked perfectly.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM

317 posts, read 474,556 times
Hoodies? They're my favorite article of clothing. They're warm, comfortable, and easy to care for, and I wear them approximately nine months a year. So does just about everyone else I see in my neighborhood, although maybe not as frequently as I do. Other things I wear and see a lot of are cutoffs, pajama bottoms, and flip flops. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're covered, comfortable, and feel good about what you have on, anything goes.

Just remember, OP: if every picture of Jesus I've ever seen is to be believed, he not only wore a hood, but had long hair, a beard, and sandals.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:55 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
I see all these young adults dressing with hoodies not unlike thugs and hoodlums. I would never let my grand children in my house wearing such trash. It shows immaturity and disrespect. Button up dress shirts and nice dress pants show that you care about how you look and shows respect to people you do business with. Jeans, hoodies, and t-shirts are for children.
Totally. I'm older than that and I wear a hoodie right before or right after surfing on cold days. I'm a totally irresponsible and immature when I've got waves on the brain!

Of course, sometimes I change into buttoned-up, tucked-in dress shirts after a pre-work weekday morning session. But those clothes are a lie! I'm really a disrespectful immature beach bum!

Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Totally. I'm older than that and I wear a hoodie right before or right after surfing on cold days. I'm a totally irresponsible and immature when I've got waves on the brain!

Of course, sometimes I change into buttoned-up, tucked-in dress shirts after a pre-work weekday morning session. But those clothes are a lie! I'm really a disrespectful immature beach bum!
Seems like in a very fun cool way!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Is this a real thread? I have a hoodie because it serves as my jacket. My hair is really short...let the wind run through your scalp on a windy day and I bet you'll wish you had a hoodie!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
I'm a 59-year-old gramma and I live in hoodies from fall through spring.

I have my rather worn and dilapidated ones for around the house (and even sleeping in) and I have a few nicer ones that I call my "going to town hoodies." lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty