Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,302,182 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry. I feel any woman who disses thin women are just jealous of them. I'm thin- not b/c I'm anorexic (i'm not)- but b/c I work out and eat right. Who are you to diss someone who actually takes care of herself? Seriously. Not everyone who is thin has an eating disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,664,093 times
diss?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
This isn't a diss on body size. It is a diss on body shape. The OP prefers people who are "fuller" in the hips and thighs. Straighter figures need no apply. It has nothing to do with being thin. More like "thin and straight" or a "boyish" figure.

You can be thin and curvy or bigger and not curvy.

For example, I am sure, this qualifies as "good" and she is also thin:

Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,432,529 times
Wow, so many here on the attack and mistakenly thinking since the OP doesn't like seeing skin and bones (the common runway model look as well as the common drug addict look) then that must mean he likes fat women. Get over yourselves. There is an inbetween place where women have curves, are physically fit, and are not fat. Instead of focusing their fitness exclusively on diet and aerobic exercise, some women do a mix of aerobic and resistance training (lifting weights). This helps to develop muscles developing more shapely legs, arms, and back without looking like a steroid abusing bodybuilder woman. I dated a girl back in the 80s who worked on a farm feeding a variety of animals and grew vegetables. Simply standing relaxed, she was very sexy and not at all manly muscled. However, when she flexed her muscles, they could clearly be seen. All of those hidden relaxed muscles accuated her overall figure. There were some models in the 80s who also had such figures. Naturally slim women can be attractive, but when you see sunken in cheeks and skin stretched tight across the bones that is not healthy at all! Even naturally slim women who are healthy don't have such a look. It's a sad statement of today's modeling industry that supermodels of the past like Cindy Crawford and Tyra Banks in their prime of their career would today be considered "plus size models". It's also sad that there are websites promoting anorexia and offering up advice and tips on how to get thinner and hide it from friends and family.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,644,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It really depends on who is using the word and how they are using it. For example, by the traditional definitions, Amber Rose, Serena Williams and Kim Kardashian are all thick. They certainly aren't "fat" (unless you are one of those weirdos who think anyone over a 2 is fat).

There are other people who have expanded the definition of "thick" as to meaning anyone who is over let's say size 8.

Traditionally, thick means "thick" in certain specific places: hips, thighs, butt....and maybe for some people in the bust. But NOT thick in the waist.
Serena Williams is not "thick", she is muscular. When people say "thick" they typically mean a woman whose body fat percentage is around 28 to 30%. In my opinion that is too fat, but thats my opinion.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 AM

223 posts, read 282,192 times
If you don't: a. Intentionally go hungry or b. Fill yourself beyond being satisfied (not "full") on a daily basis, and, if you have vegetables and fruit every day and lay off on packaged foods, and, if you do some form of exercise every day, then your body is going to be the size it is intended to be, barring some illness that changes it.

I actually used to be obsessed with being super thin. Can't say I technically had anorexia nervosa. I wound up with ketonuria.

What sucked was I never lost my big thighs and butt. That is a BODY TYPE. Whenever there is a thread like this anywhere, people start confusing underweight, "normal" and overweight with body type.

What's funny was other than people who were generally concerned for my health because I was so thin, no one else cared. Nor were they impressed.

I wish folks were more focused on being healthy, meaning don't obsess over food in either direction and move your body, as the body is meant to move, not be idle (though exercising several hours a day, every day, is overdoing it).

Now I'm a lot thicker than I was back then, and funny, but I get so many compliments now about my appearance, and remarks that I'm pretty. I follow my own above advice, and amazing, I am considered neither underweight nor overweight...because my advice works.

Last edited by rudegubmintworker; 05-27-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Serena Williams is not "thick", she is muscular. When people say "thick" they typically mean a woman whose body fat percentage is around 28 to 30%. In my opinion that is too fat, but thats my opinion.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't experienced a correlation with body fat percentage. Just shape in certain areas, and ratios.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,664,093 times
i usually dont carry a tape measure around with me checking peoples body fat percentages

Old 05-27-2012, 03:15 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,644,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i usually dont carry a tape measure around with me checking peoples body fat percentages
You can't use a tape measure for body fat percentage. You need to carry around calipers, or use the special tools I carry with me at all times called eyes.

It is quite interesting, people howl about how BMI isn't a good indicator. In all actuality, if we looked at body fat percentage there are a lot of people walking around thinking they are "overweight" when in fact they are in fact obese. The vast majority of women who call themselves thick - mostly black women - are quite obviously obese and are in extreme denial. That said, most white women who think they are merely overweight are obese as well and also are living in the land of denial.

For women, over 32% body fat = obese. As an example I am pretty sure that if we measured Christina Hendricks' body fat, she would be proven to be obese.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,432,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You can't use a tape measure for body fat percentage. You need to carry around calipers, or use the special tools I carry with me at all times called eyes.

It is quite interesting, people howl about how BMI isn't a good indicator. In all actuality, if we looked at body fat percentage there are a lot of people walking around thinking they are "overweight" when in fact they are in fact obese. The vast majority of women who call themselves thick - mostly black women - are quite obviously obese and are in extreme denial. That said, most white women who think they are merely overweight are obese as well and also are living in the land of denial.

For women, over 32% body fat = obese. As an example I am pretty sure that if we measured Christina Hendricks' body fat, she would be proven to be obese.
Which is just another reason why the BMI is full of IT. While in the Navy, many sailors and Navy SEALS were labeled as obese even though they had maybe 7 to 8 percent body fat total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty