Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Anyone who would find this information and warning "dumb" is an absolute and utter imbecile!

You have to love the obtuse ones in this world!

Ilse Koch on trial at Dachau for making human lamp shades at Buchenwald
It is horrific that this happened.

It is asinine, stupid, and amazingly insensitive to try to use it as some kind of anti-tattoo platform. If history repeats itself and something like the Holocaust happens again, I'm not going to be worrying about what will happen to my skin after I'm murdered. I'm going to be a bit busy weeping for all of humanity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Anyone who would find this information and warning "dumb" is an absolute and utter imbecile!
And anyone who doesn't realize calling another poster "imbecile" is a clear violation of the TOS needs a warning... consider this yours.

Quote:

Nobody said you were wrong, they just said it was a dumb post... I have to agree, since this has no connection to modern Americans getting tattooed. And this coming from a Jewish-American who had relatives killed in the Holocaust, so it's not like I'm ignorant to the history there.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

It is asinine, stupid, and amazingly insensitive to try to use it as some kind of anti-tattoo platform. If history repeats itself and something like the Holocaust happens again, I'm not going to be worrying about what will happen to my skin after I'm murdered. I'm going to be a bit busy weeping for all of humanity
I know, right? They also tattooed numbers on the prisoners, as I've seen on my great-Aunt (an Auschwitz survivor) since childhood... but again, this has no relation to modern Americans getting tattooed. Not even sure why they'd bring up such a thing!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is this a relatively recent thing? My roommate in college was an elementary ed major, and I remember her saying that "no visible tattoos for teachers" was a pretty hard-and-fast rule.
Maybe it depends on where you live, because here in the Bay Area we have plenty of tattooed teachers. I used to work at a public school in San Francisco, and remember the math teacher having a full sleeve... he always wore long-sleeved shirts, but you could see the ink on his wrist pretty clearly.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe it depends on where you live, because here in the Bay Area we have plenty of tattooed teachers. I used to work at a public school in San Francisco, and remember the math teacher having a full sleeve... he always wore long-sleeved shirts, but you could see the ink on his wrist pretty clearly.
I think where you live has a huge effect on how you are perceived with tattoos. I live in California and while I do get the odd comment, stare or leer, for the most part I don't have any problems. Now, when I went to the Topeka area last year to visit my brother... I got a LOT of looks and comments that I definitely wasn't expecting.

I think a tattooed teacher would be much more acceptable in places like the bay area over the Midwest.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that the Nazis did unspeakably awful things to the prisoners in their concentration camps.

However, your implication that they did these things *because* they were tattooed is beyond imbicelic. They were tattooed by the Nazis BECAUSE they were Jewish (or gay, or gypsies, or....), they were tortured and killed BECAUSE they were Jewish (or gay, or gypsies, or....).

So, please explain how your post about the Nazis making lampshades out of human skin should serve as a cautionary tale for modern-day tattooed folks, again?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

Also this.

If I were Jewish, I'd be incredibly offended at the attempt to marginalize the ethnic/religious cleansing perpetrated by the Nazis with your over-simplified rant against tattooed people.

Last edited by hooligan; 06-01-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is this a relatively recent thing? My roommate in college was an elementary ed major, and I remember her saying that "no visible tattoos for teachers" was a pretty hard-and-fast rule.
I'm not sure, I've been in the field myself for some time. Districts set their own dress codes/appearance-related regulations, as do private schools, so it's fairly situational. For myself, personally, the fact that I'm a teacher does play a role in my choosing to keep my body art in places that are easily covered. But, at the same time, I do work with a number of people who have had visible work done, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's becoming less and less hard and fast. For better or for worse, though, I think that if push came to shove, I'd be the one with a wider range of employability options in more schools than my colleagues with full sleeves would, having easily concealed body art as I do. Not all places care, but some do.

Also, I am in the very heart of middle America, and don't find it to be an "okay on the coasts, but not in the midwest" thing, necessarily.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ataraxia View Post
so what you're saying is, employers don't always care about visible tattoos, and it is possible to get a job if you are tattooed.

No I work in a bar as a cocktail waitress. I have three tattoos that are completely hidden for when I work in the corporate world. I highly doubt she'll be in that field as she just got knocked up by someone she's been dating for 2 months..

Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
What I'm saying is that young kids are getting these crazy ass tattoos ALL over their body without thinking about the future consequences like having to get REAL jobs and how its going to look 50 years later hanging down to their waist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty