U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,941,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
My tastes have changed as well.

1960's: Aphrodisia, L'Aimant, Miss Dior (the original), White Shoulders, Jean Nate
1970's: Lauren, Rive Gauche, Charlie, Fidji, Je Reviens, Musk Oil, Vanilla Fields
1980's: Giorgio, Aromatics Elixir, Anas Anas, Gloria Vanderbilt
1990's and beyond: Jessica McClintock, Chanel No. 5, Estee Lauder Pleasures, Miss Dior (the original, and still my favorite)

How did I forget the Giorgio!!!
I used to love that in the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,163,543 times
No

Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,578,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not my chemistry that's changed but my sense of smell and what I think is pleasant has changed. Also, some of the formulas have changed in the fragrances themselves. For example, I've been wearing Lauren since the 80's and I swear it's different than it used to be so I went online and saw people complaining about the formula change. It happens.

Was wondering if the formulas had changed on the fragrances I once used--like Samsara, Halston, Giorgio. Sorry to hear that Lauren changed--I, too, wore that in the 80s.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times
used to love Timeless by Avon.. wore Charlie too for a while.. oh dear, what was that one like Smitty, not sure if that was the name.. back in ma mums day it was Evening in Paris.. and Goyas perfumes... some liked Tweed, I thought if was awful, who remembers Pagan..

Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 AM

12,929 posts, read 24,062,349 times
Opium, have worn it since it's inception. All though it's really too heavy a scent for summer, so I'll just use a spray mist...I use Philosophy's Amazing Grace body soap and then a bit of the spritz in summer.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 PM

31,180 posts, read 57,317,340 times
I think the first scents I wore were Avon's Sweet Honesty and Love's Baby Soft. I also wore Love's Fresh Lemon and Love's Rain, Coty's Sweet Earth solid scents, and then moved on to Charlie, Love's Musky Jasmin and Ambush, both of which I wore well into the 80s, until I could no longer find them in discount bins and flea markets.

Then I moved on to White Linen, which I still wear occasionally but it's so expensive so I buy small bottles and use them sparingly. I just use Bath and Body Works scented lotions etc. most of the time.

I had a friend in high school who used to douse herself in Wind Song. Just thinking about it makes me sneeze! LOL

Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
The only fragrance that now gives me a little trouble now is Paloma Picasso. I love it, but now it bothers my breathing just a bit. None of the others in my massive fragrance collection have done this.

But where chemistry is concerned, I've not noticed any changes in how they smell on the skin.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:25 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I get tired of scents after I've used them for a while. Some take less time to get tired of than others. My husband has never been able to wear cologne without it turning strange on his skin and smelling like onions.
I used to not be able to wear perfume in junior high because it would go off and smell like rotten citrus on me -- horrible smell -- Avon was the WORST!

But then I found Bonne Bells Skin in high school. I wore that for years. And then after high school, Jean Nate worked for me. I would occasionally try others and eventually things stopped turning. I still have Skin, but I also wear Jean Nate, Origins Ginger Essence (the original, not the intense which goes on too strong and fades completely away in an hour for some reason on me) and Estee Lauder's Sensuous.... love that one in fall and winter.

I love to wear scent now -- since my job often is smelly (janitorial) and I come home to shower and then I get to smell something nice.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times
I wonder when the day will come when our governments will warn us to the dangers in perfumes, the same as the cigarette warnings that took fifty years to tell the public about although they knew all the dangers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty