U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM
 
8,306 posts, read 3,196,038 times
Reputation: 3595

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Have you tried any of the smoothing products from Biolage? They are my favorite my hair looks so good and feels so soft. I use a flatiron (a Chi) about 3 times a week, as my hair is very dry and cannot be washed more than every other day. I have a satin pillow slip for my pillow and my hair looks good and stays straight, thanks to the Biolage products and the Chi. I can even go out in the rain and my hair doesn't look bad since switching to Biolage products.
MrsMo, would love to know the kind of Biolage product you use ? Is it a thermal protectant / styler spray ? I use Joico silk results thermal smoother spray before flat ironing , it protects the hair from all the heat, and minimises frizz.. But it doesnt help in the rain..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Independence, MO
544 posts, read 1,993,272 times
Reputation: 381
Matrix Biolage Smoothing Shampoo, Smoothing Gel (which is more of a creme rinse), then the smoothing serum. On all the products, a little goes a long way. I think its the serum that helps in the humidity and rain. I just love the way the products make my hair feel so soft and its shiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 9,140,928 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Matrix Biolage Smoothing Shampoo, Smoothing Gel (which is more of a creme rinse), then the smoothing serum. On all the products, a little goes a long way. I think its the serum that helps in the humidity and rain. I just love the way the products make my hair feel so soft and its shiny.
Perhaps I should try that. I tried everything from large juice cans/rollers, straightening, ironing, etc. Recently, after 50 years mind you, I have embraced my curls. I have fought them all my life, but now I find I actually like the curl. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
 
Location: in a house
5,835 posts, read 3,885,043 times
Reputation: 4890
Licensed hairstylist here. Chemical straightening is the only thing that will give you the results that you want, but make sure that you won't be bored with always having straight hair. That's the great thing about curly or wavey hair is the different looks you can create. If you get the Japanese straightening, make sure it is by a certified hairstylist that was trained to do the process. It is expensive but the touch ups are less and only have to do the regrowth. Condition, condition, condition~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
 
8,306 posts, read 3,196,038 times
Reputation: 3595
Thanks mrs.mo and Puffle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
 
8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
Reputation: 3651
I have wavy hair that used to be a lot curlier....the thing I find works best for a smooth look is to let it get dirty! I know that sounds gross, but the more you wash it, the curlier it gets. I let it go 3-4 days between shampoos and by the last day boy is it straight! I use a dry shampoo (Dry Clean, I think Biolage?) that keeps it smelling nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM
 
618 posts, read 1,466,480 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
When did this forum come up ????? Wow..
Ok, So I have this wavy-curly kinda unruly hair which I straighten everyday with a flat iron I know it isnt a good thing to do, but I really love my hair straight . I was wondering if I should go in for the Thermal reconditioning thing. Anybody tried it ? I would like to know your experiences before investing major bucks into it. How long before your hair grows out and starts to look curly again ? Also how much can I expect to pay for this and any good places in New York or New Jersey where I can get it done ? Please share your experiences

Hellos
I also have really curly and really thick hair. I use to constantly straighten it with a flat iron a couple years ago and ended up with really damaged hair. Although I cannot recommend any thermal reconditiong because I have never used anything like that, I can recommend somethings that may slow down the damaging effect of your flat iron. Make sure that your flat iron is ceramic. Also, make sure that you are not using a high heat setting. Make sure that you use a product that doesn't contain alcohol on your hair, before you straighten it. You may also find it helpful to go to a salon and get your hair thinned out with scissors NOT a razor! (razor's will cause more frizz). I'm not sure how much thermal recondition costs, but maybe you might be able to find organic or all natural products at your local health food store that could do the same thing for a much cheaper price. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry NC/Randolph NJ/Cape Coral FL
12,928 posts, read 24,057,734 times
Reputation: 10748
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Licensed hairstylist here. Chemical straightening is the only thing that will give you the results that you want, but make sure that you won't be bored with always having straight hair. That's the great thing about curly or wavey hair is the different looks you can create. If you get the Japanese straightening, make sure it is by a certified hairstylist that was trained to do the process. It is expensive but the touch ups are less and only have to do the regrowth. Condition, condition, condition~
and because of this....I will never have curly frizzy hair again...
I do agree though, you need to really like the straight look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 02:35 PM
 
Location: FL
1,943 posts, read 7,628,123 times
Reputation: 2236
I have curly hair and was supposed to get this Japanese straightening method, until they told me at my consultation that it would be about $750, before tip, and having to buy their the method's specific products- it would come to about 41K Being a mom of two...I saw the money that I could use elsewhere going on stupid hair, so needless to say, I bought a straightening iron. Probably not the best one....anyway, I use all of the products they say to use if heating your hair...but because of the curl..it isn't as straight as someone else's. I do have a little frizz...especially near the ends...but that could also be because my hair stylist cut it with a razor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
 
8,306 posts, read 3,196,038 times
Reputation: 3595
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
Make sure that you use a product that doesn't contain alcohol on your hair, before you straighten it. You may also find it helpful to go to a salon and get your hair thinned out with scissors NOT a razor! (razor's will cause more frizz).
Those were wonderful tips ! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
you need to really like the straight look
Believe me I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I have curly hair and was supposed to get this Japanese straightening method, until they told me at my consultation that it would be about $750, before tip, and having to buy their the method's specific products- it would come to about 41K !
Did you mean 1K ?? Lol.. Frankly, even 1K is too much to spend on hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
the more you wash it, the curlier it gets.
I agree .. Though i never heard of dry shampoos before , should try them out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top