U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,137,489 times

Advertisements

I have curly, coarse, frizzy, dry, color treated hair. I've tried so many products, hair straighteners and had my hair professonally straightened but only part of it. The products that have been suggested to me many times have been Biolage & Redken but niether of them worked for me.

What has worked is I wash with any conditioning shampoo & use almost any conditioner in the shower. I never blow dry, only towel/air dry and only pat the towel on my head I don't shake it. That causes more frizz. I comb my hair our with a large tooth comb, apply Zero Frizz Extra Strength Hair Serum and then apply Fekkai & Company. The Fekkai stuff is great! I just got back from HI & live in SC and even in the humidity my hair has stayed under control using that product. I've tried Frizz-Ease products and they didn't work at all for me.

I have six flat irons and the only one that really works and helps with the frizz is the Chi. I bought it on ebay and got it for almost half price.

Instead of the Japanese straightening I did the Redken and only the hair underneath. The stylist had asked the same question above about whether or not I would like my hair straight all the time being I had "full" hair all my life and when I thought about it, realized I don't want pin straight hair. She pulled up half my hair, pinned it and only straightened the rest. This left my hair with curls but not crazy hair ($80). Since then my friend (she's a hair dresser) picks up perm solution ($3) at the beauty supply, combs it out straight and it does the same thing for me. Looks the same, works the same and I only have to buy her dinner. : ) Might want to consider something like that and it's cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,198,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Instead of the Japanese straightening I did the Redken and only the hair underneath. She pulled up half my hair, pinned it and only straightened the rest. This left my hair with curls but not crazy hair ($80). Since then my friend (she's a hair dresser) picks up perm solution ($3) at the beauty supply, combs it out straight and it does the same thing for me. Looks the same, works the same and I only have to buy her dinner. : ) Might want to consider something like that and it's cheap!
Someone else mentioned the redken thing and I am beginning to give it a thought. How does it work ? The stylist straightens half your hair only ?? Doesnt it end up half curly half straight ? I have no idea about this actually .. Is it similar to the anti curl thing ? Do you have to retouch often ?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:05 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,137,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
Someone else mentioned the redken thing and I am beginning to give it a thought. How does it work ? The stylist straightens half your hair only ?? Doesnt it end up half curly half straight ? I have no idea about this actually .. Is it similar to the anti curl thing ? Do you have to retouch often ?
You can do the whole head but I only did the underneath part so I would keep some of the curl but get rid of some of the volume. It doesn't make your hair pin straight like the Japanese system it just calms it down. There are salons that specialize in Redken threatments, i would go to one of them. In fact, where in NJ are you? That's where I had it done, in Atlantic Highlands. If that's not too far for you, the owner of the salon is also an instructor for Redken. That would be a good place to start but I'd have to look up the name. Let me know if you want it and I'll try to find it.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 PM

3,885 posts, read 7,217,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Have you tried any of the smoothing products from Biolage? They are my favorite my hair looks so good and feels so soft. I use a flatiron (a Chi) about 3 times a week, as my hair is very dry and cannot be washed more than every other day. I have a satin pillow slip for my pillow and my hair looks good and stays straight, thanks to the Biolage products and the Chi. I can even go out in the rain and my hair doesn't look bad since switching to Biolage products.
The Chi is amazing! It's the only thing that will straighten my mop of wild curly hair. I haven't tried Biolage, but I may give it a shot. I've been using K-pak by Joico and I like it. We have such humidity here that I sport a fuzz ball more times than not and that makes me think I should just pull a Britney and go GI Jane.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 47,426 times
have you tried fhi heat hot sauce? or lanza smoothing balm? both work well on my curly hair. i've hear a lot of bad things about the thermal conditioning treatment?
Is your flat iron ajustable temperature? maybe it's too high for your hair? i find my thick/curly hair is more fragile and easily damaged so i load up on the thermal goop and then straighten at a lower temp

Old 11-01-2007, 07:39 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,997,816 times
I get the TR (Japanese Straightening/Perm) done at a Korean owned & operated salon in Flushing, Queens. One of the best things I've ever done! BUT I put a lot of research into these salons prior to have the treatment done.

My sister used to pay 1K for TR at Salon Ishi in NYC. Her hair was never pin straight. I pay $180 and my hair dries pin straight! My hair is super shiney and soft too! No frizzies in high humidity or rain. I do use Kerastase Nutritive products which definitely help maintain the softness of my hair. The only downside is that you can't do your hair curly and there's less volume (but if you have a lot of thick hair, it may be a non-issue for you.)

The TR really changed my life! I used to take over an hour to dry my hair, curly or straight. Now it takes me 15 minutes, which is a godsend when you have an infant.

There are 2 well known TR salons in Queens, NY if you're interested: Hair Village and Top Point. Both give excellent results (I know A LOT of girls who have had positive results) and both are Korean run. Hair Village is the more popular of the two (Google "Hair Village Queens" and you'll find comments and articles on the place.)

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,198,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

My sister used to pay 1K for TR at Salon Ishi in NYC. Her hair was never pin straight. I pay $180 and my hair dries pin straight! My hair is super shiney and soft too! No frizzies in high humidity or rain. I do use Kerastase Nutritive products which definitely help maintain the softness of my hair. The only downside is that you can't do your hair curly and there's less volume (but if you have a lot of thick hair, it may be a non-issue for you.)

The TR really changed my life! I used to take over an hour to dry my hair, curly or straight. Now it takes me 15 minutes, which is a godsend when you have an infant.
Sounds good . Thanks for posting

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM

324 posts, read 673,103 times
I also have curly hair that I straighten. I asked my stylist about doing a straightening treatment, but she said that it would weaken my hair too much since I also color it. My daily routine is to blow dry it with a big paddle brush and then use a flat iron on it section by section. My favorite is the Bed Head ceramic iron, it works wonders on my hair. I have never tried the Chi, but I can't imagine anything doing a better job than my current flat iron. I also use a deep treatment conditioner that I leave on while I shave my legs and everything else in the shower. This helps to keep my hair strong, despite all the heat treatment.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 AM

8 posts, read 46,220 times
i can recommend Hair Village in Queens, i got the japenese hair straightening done there 3 years ago and it was $150, i got the same process done in Kevins hair salon in Phili back in May of this year, it was $180, have to say it now needs done again and im for Dallas in March 2008, can anyone recommend anywhere (im coming from Ireland for a holiday) in the Dallas area? thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 47,426 times
Not only is it really expensive, you have to keep getting it done! Plus, I have really curly hair that is delicate/breaks easily and I'd never want something like thermal reconditioning that could possibly cause damage. I use a flat iron too - a ghd mk4, it's pricey but worth it b/c it straightens my hair faster than my chi did, and less passes over the section of hair ='s less damage! i also always use a heat protectant every day! I like redken smooth down heat glide for my flat iron, and then silk infusion or biosilk if i'm just blow drying. hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty