U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Reputation: 5566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
It must be a regional thing or where you're hanging out because the majority of women are complimentary to me and if they're nasty, they don't say anything. They just look me up and down or give me the cold stare or occasionally try and shove/push me out of the way at the bar. I experienced both types this past weekend.

And yeah, I've gotten the "Why do you wear heels?" but it's usually from women who are 5'8"-5'10" and are insecure about their own height. They're usually giving me props for sporting high heels and tell me how great I look, it's not so much negative remarks.

In case you don't know, your height will always be a topic of conversation, especially with strangers. I'm hitting 38 and it hasn't changed.

Oh how I would love to take you out with me Jet!!!! We'd own the place!!!!!
Isn't it funny that that's the range that is most insecure? Taller than that and I guess you have no choice but to suck it up and embrace the tall. Those are the women who always go on about feeling like giants, about how they're so often the tallest person in the room and how much it sucks to be so big like them. They're also the ones who come up and interrogate me about my height because they find it so unbelievable that any woman in the world could possibly be taller than they are.

Am I paranoid, or do people silently look up at you, check your feet (I'm usually in flats), and then look up again in amazement? I can't decide if I'm making this up or if these people really are giving me extra hard stares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hey now... my Dad is a big, tattooed biker guy who has been happily married to my Mother since just out of High School.




Oh, I get PLENTY of attention but it's usually laced with negativity. Last weekend I had a girl come up to me and say 'wow, you're so tall! It must be impossible to get dates!' Or the ever present ' Why do you wear heels?? You're already a giant!'. I laugh and move on, but it seems to me my height (or my boobs) are always a topic of conversation and I seem well-liked, but romantically men simply aren't interested.

I did hit on a 5'2 asian guy last weekend who turned me down flat...haha.
I wonder where are these posters seeing tall women get more attention from men?(are they talking thin,tall women?)
I don't see it. In fact,I see shorter,thin women get the most attention.The plump and obese short ones too.
I think being tall and heavier isa deal breaker for many men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,671 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Reputation: 68453
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Hmm, but how are you determining the popular body type of each decade? Go searching for "sex symbols of 19XXs" and every decade after the 1920s is dominated by busty hourglass women. This shape has never gone out of favor with men or with the public. The only reason the waists may seem bigger is because we've moved away from fashions that unnaturally shrink and tighten the abdomen. Marilyn's uncorseted curves were no more extreme than bikini models of today.

I've seen more media coverage of Kim Kardashian and her assets than any straight figured woman, so I'd hardly call the curvy figure abandoned. And, really, when was the last time you saw a small chested, thick waisted woman as a Playboy or Maxim centerfold? The last SI swimsuit cover was graced by Kate Upton who doesn't have the most defined waist but is by no means small chested. So what men's magazines are you referring to?

And let's remember that the most common body type amongst women is the "tubular" figure. The banana, the column, the pillar, whatever you'd like to call it and many many many women are in complete denial of their own banana-ness, crying out "But, but, my waist is 6 inches smaller than my hips! That's half a foot!" But alas, they are bananas and you'll find that most clothing manufacturers reflect this majority in the apparel they produce.
OK, maybe in the last few years, due to the Kardashians, the old "monroe" type is making a comeback. Many of the chests I've seen in SI swimsuit issues are small compared to the old standard, though as I said, the new thing is fake boobs on top of a narrow-hipped, thicker-waisted body. I'm not current on Playboy, I've seen a couple of Maxim mags and wasn't impressed. But in the late 20th Century, those centerfolds were of women who in the early era of Playboy would have been considered early pubescent, not mature, curvy women.

There are women with naturally small waists and hourglass figures that don't need corsets to achieve that figure. It has nothing to do with abandoning girdles or corsets. "Busty" for some reason went out of favor with the men's magazines sometime after the women's movement started. I've read articles analyzing the phenomenon, some saying it has to do with lean economic times, or this or that theory, none of which make sense from today's perspective. I've also noticed that the illusion of a big bust is sometimes created by special poses and photography tricks. Sometimes it seems like any female in the nude appeals to guys, they don't really notice the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That to me is the highest acceptable height. I don't like tall women or that look. You are making a big deal over this.

Really, go to a nursing home to figure out what height looks good. Actually, are you one of those sister in laws?

No, just read the men's preferences on the thread.
Lollercoaster, acceptable for what, exactly? You're not going to try and exterminate all the tall ladies, are you? Because I'm pretty sure we'll just squish you before you get very far.

And I did go back and read the men's comments and found this:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Tall and thin. Fat women are a complete turn off because it indicates sloth. An athletic, tall (5'8 or more) woman with good posture is best. And a tall woman will almost never be able to wear a size 4, that is for shorter, petite women. Steffi Graf in her playing days had the perfect womans body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I disagree with you. I would date any woman who is in decent shape (not pencil thin) from 5'2"-6'0". Most have been under 5'5". In fact, all serious girlfriends and wife were under 5'5". I have no height preference. Although I would like to date a tall woman ONLY because I never really have. Certainly not a make or break for me. As for weight, I'm a little more liberal than what I've said here. Too thin isn't good because chances are she doesn't have a butt. I can work with curvy (depending on how you define it), athletic, average, or maybe thin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Lotsa love for tall and plump.
There was also one fellow who expressed a preference for petite women, and one very unpleasant man who ranted on and on about how disgusting women over 5'7 are (you two would probably get along famously). All other male opinions didn't mention height because most men really don't care that much. Women are far more hung up on being shorter than their man because of some silly societal norms that have been drilled into them. But there are some definite advantages to being over the 5'7 mark and, in my opinion, all disadvantages pale in comparison to the awesomeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: North Shore Long Island
7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
Reputation: 10544
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Isn't it funny that that's the range that is most insecure? Taller than that and I guess you have no choice but to suck it up and embrace the tall. Those are the women who always go on about feeling like giants, about how they're so often the tallest person in the room and how much it sucks to be so big like them. They're also the ones who come up and interrogate me about my height because they find it so unbelievable that any woman in the world could possibly be taller than they are.

LMAO! I totally went through this with some 5'8" chick at the lounge Saturday night. She was going on about it was so great to finally have someone taller than her at the club and how she's always the tallest in the room. My husband just stood there looking at her like she was crazy because by comparison, she looked average next to me. She at least blew up my ego with all the model compliments.




Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Am I paranoid, or do people silently look up at you, check your feet (I'm usually in flats), and then look up again in amazement? I can't decide if I'm making this up or if these people really are giving me extra hard stares.
LOL again. Yeah. Get used to it. You'll also become an expert at body language (if you haven't already.)

The ones who are annoying are the chicks who come up to you and say "Oh my god! You're so tall! I can't even stand next to you!" Good...then walk away. These comments drive my husband batty too. I thought he was gonna' smack some woman a couple of weekends ago because she just kept going on and on about how tall I was and how short she was. I tuned it out until he reminded me of it a couple days later.

My favorite, in all sincerity, are the little kids who just stop and look up at me in amazement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: North Shore Long Island
7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
Reputation: 10544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That to me is the highest acceptable height. I don't like tall women or that look. You are making a big deal over this.

Really, go to a nursing home to figure out what height looks good. Actually, are you one of those sister in laws?

No, just read the men's preferences on the thread.

Who the heck says that!?!?! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,671 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Reputation: 68453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm 5ft 7in and it seems at times I'm the tallest thing around.

My ideal is flaring hips and thick thighs and calves,with a small waist.
Small shoulders would help too.
I think that's right around the ideal height. I also agree that small waist and flaring hips is the ideal, though that doesn't get portrayed much in the media, not as much as it used to a long time ago. That type of figure on a woman around 5'6 -- 5'8 with a decent-sized bust is very dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Reputation: 44332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the weirdest thing. For some reason around the 70's, maybe earlier, a boyish figure for women became the norm in men's mags, and the broader media. It hasn't really changed, except for more recently, when fake boobs were added to the boyish figure. But if you ask men (as someone did on a recent poll here on C-D), most of them will say they prefer "curvy", a la Marilyn Monroe. So men's taste hasn't changed. So where did this bizarre new norm in the media come from, what motivated it? Why were men's magazines, and the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue for decades full of women with small breasts (relative to the 50's/60's "Monroe era") and thicker waists? Why was the hourglass figure abandoned by the media in favor of what was called a more "tubular" figure for women? It makes no sense.
I don't know but I agree. I think that figure is back though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM
 
62 posts, read 170,797 times
Reputation: 125
I had a guy tell me once that he felt insecure about his penis size and height, so having a petite and short woman was number one priority. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
 
15,732 posts, read 17,286,832 times
Reputation: 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesAnna View Post
I had a guy tell me once that he felt insecure about his penis size and height, so having a petite and short woman was number one priority. Just a thought.
What would his penis size have to do with her height or body frame size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top