Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Tall and thin. Fat women are a complete turn off because it indicates sloth. An athletic, tall (5'8 or more) woman with good posture is best. And a tall woman will almost never be able to wear a size 4, that is for shorter, petite women. Steffi Graf in her playing days had the perfect womans body.
Ugh, when will people realize that tall people have the same size variations of people of average height? If I'm 10% taller than another woman that does not necessitate that I am 10% wider, too. Tall people, like people of all heights, come in different frame sizes. If you have a large skeletal frame, no matter how thin you get you will not drop below a certain size. But if you have a small skeletal frame, it's much more difficult to go above a certain size.

I'm 6'0 and have 35" hips. That's a size 2 in most places. I look thin but not unhealthily so and that's because I have the right amount of fat/muscle for my small frame. And it's not rare at all for a tall woman to have a small frame, just as it's not rare for a short woman to have a large frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Aren't women's clothing sizes the biggest scam in the world? It's just an entirely arbitrary numbering system with no real relevance to anything. It's funny because I just buy jeans without even trying them on and they fit; an ex-girlfriend of mine thought this was crazy. Makes sense now because half the stuff "in her size" didn't fit at all.

Why don't they just use actual measurements like men's clothing?
Because of crazy women who want to deny the fact that they have 45" hips. Because who would want to go through the humiliation of buying something in a size 45 when they could buy a size 16. 16 is such a nice small number, you can't be that big if you're wearing a 16, right?

Vanity

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,779,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It really depends on the build. I can't stand when someone goes by pants size, which is so arbitrary for women. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Right now I've got 3 different sizes in my closet and they all fit the same which makes shopping a chore sometimes.

I am 5' 3 1/2" and when I was 123lbs I wore a size 8. I was not fat...I had muscle and ab definition. I was curvy though, so there was no way my ass was going to fit into a size 4 or 6. My friend, who was built straight as an arrow, could fit a size 6 and she was about an inch taller and roughly 130lbs. She was skinny fat.
I do know this from living with a couple of women (one I was married to). So that makes sense. Its much easier for guys.

From how you describe yourself, I definitely would be attracted to you, so my bad on trying to figure out the size thing. Forgive me?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,713,374 times
More concentration on how women "should" look as it benefits men. Great. But okay, lets go ahead & slam the women who don't fit their standards.....

(Why aren't the men's bodies never discussed at length, like this?)

Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,779,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
More concentration on how women "should" look as it benefits men. Great.

(Why aren't the men's shapes ever discussed at length, like this?)
Start a thread, Doll. Or tell us, what's your ideal for a guy? I'm 6'0", 185lbs. I'm not "ripped", but am muscular. Could stand to lose a little stomach fat (no beer belly at all, but not where I want to be).

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,289,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

(Why aren't the men's bodies never discussed at length, like this?)
Because their wallets/bank accounts are instead.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Because their wallets/bank accounts are instead.
LMAO. This is likely the case, if you ask them. We all want their money!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,039,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Aren't women's clothing sizes the biggest scam in the world? It's just an entirely arbitrary numbering system with no real relevance to anything. It's funny because I just buy jeans without even trying them on and they fit; an ex-girlfriend of mine thought this was crazy. Makes sense now because half the stuff "in her size" didn't fit at all.

Why don't they just use actual measurements like men's clothing?
I WISH they would do this!!! I think it would make buying clothes so much easier for women. If they sold jeans with waist, hip and inseam measurements it wouldn't be such a pain in the ass!

It kills me that my husband can ask me to buy him a new pair of jeans when I'm out. If I asked him to do that for me it would be a total disaster! Even with tops...I have small, medium and large tops in my closet. The ONLY thing he can buy me is bras and undies because they generally do follow a measurement size (not that I'm complaining ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Because of crazy women who want to deny the fact that they have 45" hips. Because who would want to go through the humiliation of buying something in a size 45 when they could buy a size 16. 16 is such a nice small number, you can't be that big if you're wearing a 16, right?

Vanity
Oh heck...I would! Even those that are a size 16...it would make finding something that fit right a whole lot easier.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Start a thread, Doll. Or tell us, what's your ideal for a guy? I'm 6'0", 185lbs. I'm not "ripped", but am muscular. Could stand to lose a little stomach fat (no beer belly at all, but not where I want to be).

I just feel like it's pretty obvious we already know by post 4 what body type the male wants: tall and thin. The end. Did we really need yet another thread about it? So IMO, it's just a way to slam those that don't fit the ideal....Also, that sounds very nice, I guess maybe b/c of A.S. & no physical contact, I don't really concentrate on these types of things. I don't know.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,039,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I do know this from living with a couple of women (one I was married to). So that makes sense. Its much easier for guys.

From how you describe yourself, I definitely would be attracted to you, so my bad on trying to figure out the size thing. Forgive me?
Ohhh...no, no, no! I'm not that size anymore! LOL, I wish! You missed the "when I was 123"

I'm at 145lbs now. I don't want to be 123...135 would be ideal now. I've lost a bunch in the last few weeks but now I'm on hold. I guess I got a little gung ho and now I've got a few nutritional deficiencies that I have to get under control first. I get to go for weight checks and B12 shots every week now, and have to pop a bunch of supplements. Fun, fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty