U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM

191 posts, read 653,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I really like the mineral make-up from Bare Escentuals. It is a powder foundation and you can use a little to even out your skintone, or a lot if you need heavy coverage. It's great stuff, though there is a bit of a learning curve when you first try it out. I buy it at Sephora. It seems expensive, but a $20-odd dollar container lasts me for about a year.
Me too! I started wearing it about three years ago, and won't wear anything else. I buy mine at Sephora as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,130,921 times
What is the problem with the mineral make-up and pictures? I'm just curious as I just began using the mineral make-up and I love it.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,388,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Merle Norman makeup, Arbonne skin products.
Yep, love Merle Norman Powder Base or Total Finish compact, too. The name is deceiving, as it's not powdery, but contains zinc oxide for those, like me, with super-sensitive, slightly dry skin that burns & turns red from most brands. They're one of the few companies that has a color light enough for me, too, as I'm cotton ball white. They might feel too heavy for those with normal-oily skins, but I need all the oil I can get.

Erno Laszlo has nice, moist make-up bases, as well. Brutally expensive, but my face looks flawless when I wear their bases! I don't wear it everyday, because of the expense, but when I'm going out... in case I run into Al Pacino!

I'm going to have to take a look at these Diorskin products everyone keeps mentioning. I'm guessing it's very expensive being Dior? I love their lipsticks though - creamy & great shades, but they're outrageously expensive, too.

Good thread, thanks... VV

Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,614,064 times
Bare Minerals girl here,,but I use it as finish over my liquid make up.I wear a sheer light one,whatsever on sale at the grocery store or target.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM

200 posts, read 854,943 times
Default Dior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Yep, love Merle Norman Powder Base or Total Finish compact, too. The name is deceiving, as it's not powdery, but contains zinc oxide for those, like me, with super-sensitive, slightly dry skin that burns & turns red from most brands. They're one of the few companies that has a color light enough for me, too, as I'm cotton ball white. They might feel too heavy for those with normal-oily skins, but I need all the oil I can get.

Erno Laszlo has nice, moist make-up bases, as well. Brutally expensive, but my face looks flawless when I wear their bases! I don't wear it everyday, because of the expense, but when I'm going out... in case I run into Al Pacino!

I'm going to have to take a look at these Diorskin products everyone keeps mentioning. I'm guessing it's very expensive being Dior? I love their lipsticks though - creamy & great shades, but they're outrageously expensive, too.

Good thread, thanks... VV
Yes, the Diorskin works well, I've usede it for about 3 years...if it's good enough for JLo...it's good enough for me

Erno Laszlo has a GREAT skin soap that I've used before (the black one).

My latest thing is the Boots No 7 Restore & Renew (found at Target/ CVS). I use it before makeup...and the make-up goes on smoothly after. I lived in London for a couple of years, and Boots is a great pharmacy over there (think CVS meets Sephora). Anyway, when I saw that Target was carrying Boots products, I grabbed a couple things...then about a week later, I was watching Nightline, and they had a whole segment on the Boots No. 7 Restore & Renew...it's caused quite a stir in the UK. I don't know if it actually turns back the hands of time, but it's a good light moisturizer...and CHEAP

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,885,043 times
The one product I don't skimp on price is a good foundation and a line that carries realistic skin colors,good for the skin with an SPF of some kind and the brands that I favor are Chanel and Laura Mercier.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:19 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,849,851 times
Bare Escentuals for me. I don't use the mineral veil because I don't think it's necessary for me to use it. My skin is more on the dry side, so using a powder would be too much for me. Otherwise, if your skin is more normal or oily, the mineral veil is good.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,982,472 times
I was reading an add that recommended you mixing whatever your choice in foundantions, as a base covering, with actual sunscreen. I've seen people do it with lotion as well.

any thoughts or comments on this? I know that adding a dab or 2 of sunscreen to my foundation makes it blend and spread so much easier in the morning. If you do it with lotion instead, you just have to make sure it's not one of those nasty greasy oily lotions... it will spread and blend nicely.. but it will clog your face so bad! your skin needs to be able to breathe, regardless of what you put on it, hehe.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM

28 posts, read 111,401 times
I have splotchy skin, any recommendations for that?
Speaking of Photos and the bare minerals, I have some and applied it and thought it looked pretty good, took a picture of myself and all my splotches were visible. So don't use it much.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,849,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't wear foundation too often (at least not liquid), but I'm a faithful M.A.C. user... I have both the "Select Tint" liquid & "Studio Fix" powder, and really love how they look. It's really hard as a freckled redhead to find good makeup, since most either wash me out or give me a fake-looking bronze color.
Ahh!! another freckled redhead....I agree it's hard to find products sometimes.
Check out justforredheads.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty