Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job and I need some work clothes to replace my ultra-casual "I work from home" Target wardrobe of flimsy t-shirts and cargo khakis, so I went to the mall. I needed some help picking out styles to try on, because if I have to pick them out myself, I get frustrated and discouraged really easily because it seems like nothing fits or looks right on me. I don't have any girl friends to help me, and dragging my poor husband along would have only made it worse. I wanted someone who works in the store and is familiar with the inventory and current styles to help me find some outfits. Once upon a time, clothing stores were staffed with people who were employed to do just that!

I went to Macy's first, but it seemed like there were no employees on the floor. Every cash register station was empty and all I saw were browsers. I walked around the entire women's floor trying to figure out where the misses section was - petites were clearly marked, as were individual brands, but nothing else. I couldn't even find someone to ask this simple question, much less to help me pull clothes to try on. I left without trying anything on, because even if I could have found something I wanted to try, there was no one to let me in the dressing room! How they prevent rampant theft is quite beyond me.

I walked out of Macy's in a state of moderate disgust and went to Ann Taylor which was the first appropriate store I saw. The ladies in Ann Taylor acknowledged me, and when I explained my dilemma they actually helped me! The lady who was working with me pulled tons of stuff for me to try on, listened to my comments about those items - what I liked, what I didn't, then pulled more stuff. I walked out with several appropriate outfits and left the mall, promising myself that I will come back and get some more stuff tomorrow. Just think, my sales were entirely driven by the service I received, and I will definitely return to Ann Taylor again. Maybe Macy's wouldn't have most of the inventory on clearance every time I go there if they had enough sales staff to actually help people who want to spend money in their store!

So ladies - where do you get the best service? I need to get a few more outfits to start and I don't want to have to beg for help. I appreciate any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Saks, Macy's and Nordstroms have always been helpful to me! Local stores can be even better.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I would look at women's boutiques and also see if there is at Etcetera representative in your area. Many times you will find nice professional dress shops near court houses. I have no idea how much you want to spend, but when I worked in a more professional environment, I had a particular dress shop that I went to and not only did they have great sales, but they would notify me when items came in. I also used to go to Casual Corner, but I am not sure if they are even still around. They would put together lots of professional outfits for a certain amount of money (I think it was something like $500 per season--that was a long time ago). I also do quite a bit of shopping online (QVC, HSN for example) but you really have to know your style and size according to their sizing.

I would also suggest that you keep to just several colors for much of your wardrobe. I can make lots of outfits that way using just good basics with nice accessories.

Good luck on your new job. Sounds exciting!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:18 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Many times you will find nice professional dress shops near court houses.
I should have mentioned that this is Florida, and the office is extremely casual. Like, CEOs wear golf shirts and Dockers to weekday meetings without the slightest trace of shame type casual. The truth is that I could get away with wearing that Target wardrobe if I really wanted. I am aiming for put-together, but not too formal, which is a fine balancing act. So far I went with suit-separate style lined trouser pants that will look good with heels, paired with casual tops. A tailored suit would make me look fabulous but way overdressed. I will probably do the khakis and golf shirt thing too, but only on Fridays.

Thank you for the responses!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Check with your Macys and see if they offer personal shoppers. You have to make an appt but it could be worth it!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I've had more success at stores in smaller, outdoor malls/shopping centers, where the staff now recognize me a regular. I've used Petite Sophisticate, White House/Black Market, Ann Taylor, and Ann Taylor Loft, and to a lesser extent, NY and Company. In my specific location, I've noticed that the turn over rate of the employees in smaller shopping centers is much lower than what I would see at the mall, which made it more likely for the staff to remember me.

And yes, having a consistently good, helpful, sales staff, can make a person more likely to shop at that same store, ask for the same associate, and in some cases, get a bit of a "hook up." Those are a couple of reasons I tend to avoid anchor department stores in the mall.

Last edited by anadyr21; 01-28-2012 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Check with your Macys and see if they offer personal shoppers. You have to make an appt but it could be worth it!
Yes. I would call the large women's clothing/department stores in your area and ask if they have personal shoppers. I had one at Lord and Taylors and found out that I was short waisted and needed to buy petite tops, but my slack/skirts were of normal length.

This changed my whole look because clothing fit better.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Or even check out the consignment shops in you area. I find sometimes the women who work there are really interested in the stock and are not there just to collect a paycheck. Also...saves some cash!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 AM

285 posts, read 927,275 times
I'm a shopaholic, to add to the other folks suggestions here, my wife has had good assistance at cold water creek getting things to wear for her work place when I'm not home. The look they have is a bit casual but yet formal casual.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Eileen Fisher and Nordstrom. Neither can be beat for the absolute best in high level customer service.

Eileen Fisher might be absolutely perfect for your work wardrobe. Casual yet elegant, chic yet not over the top, and oh so durable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty