Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 AM

224 posts, read 775,678 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with sleeveless shirts or tank tops with large armholes that show the sides of your bra if you lift your arms?

Also...along the same note...what do you think of peek-a-boo bra straps? Seems like everywhere you go someone is wearing a tank top and you can see the straps of their bras, either just peeking or some are just fully exposed. Do you think it's sexy? skanky? Ok? fashion no-no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,098,242 times
I'm beginning to think that it's the style now to let the bra straps show. Tacky? Yes!!! But they are everywhere! At least they are wearing a bra and not just flopping about.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM

I guess I would rather see a bra strap then the other option!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,916,524 times
It doesn't really bother me- since I've been known to do it. It's not so much of an issue if it's a casual tank top and a strap is peeking out along your shoulder but say, you decide to wear a strappy tank top for a night out and you have your straps showing- then I consider that to be tacky. I'm more focused on having decent 'lift' and if a strapless doesn't look right, then I have no problem wearing a plain one with straps. Now, panties peeking out above waistlines....that's another issue! Gross....

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
It doesn't really bother me- since I've been known to do it. It's not so much of an issue if it's a casual tank top and a strap is peeking out along your shoulder but say, you decide to wear a strappy tank top for a night out and you have your straps showing- then I consider that to be tacky. I'm more focused on having decent 'lift' and if a strapless doesn't look right, then I have no problem wearing a plain one with straps. Now, panties peeking out above waistlines....that's another issue! Gross....
Ewww....I agree about that panties...that is a topic for another day!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM

618 posts, read 1,606,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor400 View Post
How do you deal with sleeveless shirts or tank tops with large armholes that show the sides of your bra if you lift your arms?

Also...along the same note...what do you think of peek-a-boo bra straps? Seems like everywhere you go someone is wearing a tank top and you can see the straps of their bras, either just peeking or some are just fully exposed. Do you think it's sexy? skanky? Ok? fashion no-no?

I try to match my bras to my shirts, so that if my bra might show, one won't notice it at first. If this isn't possible, you could sew the armsholes enough so that your bras isn't visible.

Personally, I don't like being able to see a person's undergarments. Therefore, I buy bras that have removable straps. That way I can remove them, or choose different colored straps to match my outfit.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
If I have a top and you can see the bra through the armhole, I wear a tank or something underneath...that's a sign to me that your top isn't really meant to be worn with just a bra. I like strapless bras for other kinds of tops, not a fan of the 'bra strap' look...and those see through straps are just horrible, IMHO.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:08 PM

859 posts, read 3,313,366 times
I have huge boobs, so I really don't feel comfortable in a strapless bra or with out a bra. In lots of my night club shirts that have skinny straps, sometimes you can see a little of the bra strap, but it doesn't really bother me b/c I always try to wear a bra the same color as the shirt so you barely notice. I wear a lot of black both shirts and bras anyway so it usually just blends in,

But I would never have bra straps out in say a work outfit or I would never do a black shirt with the chance that a neon yellow bra could show.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 25,647 times
I like to wear breast petals or pasties, whatever you want to call them. You can find them at Victoria Secret and Chicos. I got a pair at a tradeshow and love it for tank tops. These are silicone and stick to you, but don't hurt when you peel them off and I forget I am wearing anything.
I have also seen little straps that pull your bra straps closer together in the back so they don't slide off your shoulders. I haven't used them though. Good Luck

Old 10-24-2007, 02:39 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,564,360 times
I have a fifteen year old daughter and am experiencing this fashion trend for the first time. I grew up (60's) thinking that women that allowed their bra straps to show were either trashy or too poor to buy decent clothing. As I got older, I began to see that this was not so much a moral issue as it was an availability and convenience issue. I realize that it is not always intentional, but it is not considered as strongly as it once was.

Women styles do not seem to consider underwear anymore in the design and it is difficult for women to stay in style and not permit display of straps and waistbands.

I still don't like the look of exposed underwear, except from the voyeur perspective, and feel that it cheapens the overall look when efforts to conceal are not taken. I no longer immediately think tramp, now I more often think ignorant or lazy, and occasionally poor woman, she tried so hard with such poor results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty