U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times

Advertisements

I have sewn. My mom taught me as every woman had to take home ec back in that generation. She was talented and worked for a seamstress. Now I don't know if I wold attempt clothing because I do not have any kind of time anymore. But I have made items for my home, window treatments, pillows, etc. Those are really easy, no fitting. I wish I had the time to do it more often. Maybe if I am able to retire someday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM

51,195 posts, read 50,480,930 times
I learned to sew when I was around 11. The first thing I made was a maxi skirt in a green calico with a matching sash. This was around 1969 or so. The maxi skirts were very popular, but I was already abnormally tall and I couldn't buy anything in stores that was long enough when it mattered that it was long enough, and the store-bought maxi skirts came to mid-shin on me. My mother knew how to sew and had this old black singer machine in a wooden cabinet, and she taught me. A couple of years later, we got a new singer machine that had zig-zag and a buttonhole maker--it was the greatest thing! : )

When I learned to put in zippers, my mother would check, and if they weren't sewn in straight she would hand me the seamripper and make me take it out and do it again. I made many of my own clothes as a teenager in the Seventies. It was great because I could have some of the same things that normal-sized girls wore but on the other hand mine were unique because I could choose the fabric or switch out different types of sleeves in the patterns and have something different than everyone else, but still kind of cool.

I wish I still had time to sew. I feel bad that I never made any clothes for my daughter, but I worked full-time while she was growing up. Still, sometimes I stop at the fabric store (and can't get over the prices of the patterns now!) and think about buying a sewing machine and making something for myself. I do have choices for office clothes from places like JC Penney catalogs/online, but I would like to try to make something like a dress or a suit again. Maybe start with something simple, since it's been a long time.

I remember we had to make a tablecloth and napkins for a Girl Scout project in sixth grade. I brought mine in and the GS leader accused me of having my mother make mine, since my hems were so straight. I was so upset I went home and told my mother and she called the leader and told her that I had indeed made my own stuff!

High school Home ec was a piece of cake. We had to make those skirts with the bibs and the buckle straps that were in style at the time, and that was nothing for someone who had already been sewing for a few years. I got an A.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

High school Home ec was a piece of cake. We had to make those skirts with the bibs and the buckle straps that were in style at the time, and that was nothing for someone who had already been sewing for a few years. I got an A.
Boy do I remember that! And fingertip length 'cuz that was school rules. Mine was rust colored wide-wale corduroy -- also got an A. What fabric did you use for yours?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Thanks for the memories.
I did sewing in 4-H and remember quite a few of my projects.
It was also a requirement in Junior High. I made a navy blue A-line skirt with a white blouse with set-in sleeves in class.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
I hit 6' tall in 8th grade..ever since then, I figured out how to sew Without being able to sew, I would have been stuck in shirts and pants that were far too short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Thanks for the memories.
I did sewing in 4-H and remember quite a few of my projects.
It was also a requirement in Junior High. I made a navy blue A-line skirt with a white blouse with set-in sleeves in class.
I was a Jr. Leader for my 4H clubs sewing group! So much fun...we used to make all kinds of silly projects for fairs and swap meets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or