U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,645 times

Advertisements

OMG!!! I love this posting!!! its about 11pm, but I can't wait for tomorrow to get going! Its funny because I set tomorrow aside to pamper myself from head to toe... facial, body scrub, etc... I do my own since I can't afford to go to a spa, but these are incredible... I just found this forum by accident, and already I'm hooked. Everyone is so great, AND SMART! Natural is the way to go! Thanks Everyone. ~V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 AM

25,573 posts, read 23,766,561 times
There have actually been times when Ive seen food colouring and Carmex on a Q-Tip for last minute 'lipstick'. Interesting.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,123,192 times
I make my own hot oil treatments for my hair

2 tablespoons (I have shoulder-length hair; use more for longer hair) of a base oil-almond, sunflower, Vitamin E, etc

4-5 drops of essential Rosemary oil (it's said to stimulate hair growth)

Put in a plastic baggie, tie up, and set in a cup of hot water for a couple of minutes. Rub the oil in your hair while its dry, wrap in plastic, then wrap with a hot, wet towel. Leave on head for 15 minutes. You will probably need to periodically rewet the towel in hot water.

Rinse well, shampoo, and condition.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM

449 posts, read 1,430,523 times
I was thinking of getting back to homemade beauty treatments - then saw this great thread, lots of ideas to try.

Some I've learned are using raw egg as a facial to reduce pores, start with once a day for a month, then weekly.

For hair, to get rid of buildup and improve texture - mix baking soda w/shampoo (roughly a TB of shampoo mixed w/b.soda to make a paste) wash as usual. Works great.

Best cheap hair conditioner to buy - was $1 is Yves..? peppermint conditioner usually found at CVS or other drugstores. The mint is a bit overwhelming but it does rinse away - way better than any Redkin or pricey hair products I've tried. Result is thicker and much more body to your hair.

1T of organic cider vinegar and 1T honey mixed in a glass of water an swallowed is supposed to replace the minerals you lose to help your hair regain youthful lustre...and help with other things as well. There are a lot of sites with recipes/benefits of cider vinegar. Distilled supermarket cider vinegar is more appealing in looks but a lot of the beneficial stuff is filtered out.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 AM

449 posts, read 1,430,523 times
The Yves was actually St. Ives Intensive Hair Repair - just found out this was discontinued by St. Ives..

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 AM

812 posts, read 2,079,022 times
this is a refreshing summer mask for normal/combination/oily skin. i got this idea from those asian masks i love that cost a dollar a piece. i looked at the ingredient list and i realized i could make one similar myself. these masks are amazing and soothing. the liquid sheet on the mask really draws the moisture and benefits in.

take a new or clean washcloth preferably the thinnest you can find or have and cut holes out of them where your nose, eyes, and mouth area is. you can also cut around the edges to fit the contour of your face if you want. use a white wash cloth so no colors bleed onto your face. you could even experiment with other cloths that may be better.

mix equal parts spring water to lemon juice and aloe juice. if you have witch hazel you can add a little of this too. this can be bought cheaper at some stores even walmart. i use the gallon fruit of the earth alow juice from walmart and keep it in the fridge. i cool this concoction in the fridge or you can keep these products in the fridge ready.

soak the washcloth and apply to face and let soak a good fifteen minutes or longer. it should be pretty wet but not running down the sides wet. this is the time to relax. of course you have to be laying down or laying back. i do this at night in bed while reading a book or out on the deck. if you want this to be a bit moisturizing too, then add a a smigden of honey or olive oil. i say olive oil because most people have that in the home and it's a lot easier to get than say sweet almond oil etc. which is great if you have that but can be bought at health food stores. if you want even more fragrance add a drop of rosewater or oil or crush up some rose petals or herbs you might have. next time try a different concoction like green tea. see which one gives you the best benefits or combination for what your skin needs at the time. get creative.

if you want to pamper yourself more. cut up fresh cucumber slices and apply to eyes as well.

after this, your skin should feel moist, bright and refreshed. if you do this once a week, your skin will be beautiful, balanced and complexion look clearer. either way, it's a nice at home spa treatment and pampering.

follow up with a homemade moisturizer using one hundred percent aloe vera gel with vitamin e. i make a concoction of aloe gel, and a little honey. keep it cool in the fridge for summer, it's great applied cold. if you are oily or breakout prone, omit the honey or keep it a very tiny amount.

make sure your skin is clean before you apply this treatment of course. further follow up with drinking something cleansing and refreshing like lemonade, limade or even the aloe juice mixed in or some freshly brewed iced green tea.

EDIT: Note this is only cost effective (if that's an issue) when you primarily use ingredients you have on hand. olive oil, lemon juice and green tea are staples in many homes and fruits especially in summer. apple is another great exfoliant and is full of antioxidants too. crush some apple for instance. squeeze a little juice from an orange etc. even use lemon juice from a bottle or a dash of vinegar, though apple cider vinegar is preferable even white vinegar is okay in a much smaller quantity. how natural you want to go is up to you. the masks i've found at korean grocers anywhere from one dollar to three. if you use it once a week, it's not very expensive but why pay that if you have the ingredients on hand and it will be fresher.

Last edited by leaana; 05-06-2009 at 01:34 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 AM

8,217 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Check out Create Spa Treatments at Home -- Homemade Spa Treatment and Beauty Recipes - lots of homemade spa treatment recipes.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:24 AM

70 posts, read 156,649 times
Aloe vera is also one of the herb which helps in glowing up of skin....

Old 09-25-2010, 11:16 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but I use just plain sugar, mixed with a little water, as a facial scrub. It works as well as the expensive scrubs, just be careful to clean up thoroughly or you will have ants in your bathroom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty