U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 PM

319 posts, read 1,349,566 times

Advertisements

My stylist used to use Design. I kept telling her that it was drying my hair out. She has now switched to CB. I have never heard about this relaxer. Does anyone use this? Now I am considering trying out a new stylist. She uses Affirm. Does anyone have opinions about these products?

Also, the new stylist charges $85.00 for the relaxer. Is that the going price?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 PM

167 posts, read 483,981 times
Default Affirm

My stylist uses Affirm, it straightens my hair well but I'm thinking of asking her to switch to another product b/c it "over" straightens in my opinion. It usually takes 2-3 weeks (and lots of washing) for my hair not to look overly processed. I've never heard of the other products, and as far as pricing goes, $85 doesn't sound unreasonable.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 AM

845 posts, read 2,428,539 times
I have only heard of Affirm, but I heard its pretty good. I heard a good product for not over processing your hair and keeping it soft is Phytospecific, but it is pricey.

I dont know about pricing at the salon because I self relax,

Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,157,985 times
I've used Affirm myself, it was okay, nothing special. I couldn't tell you the going price for a salon relaxer, as I also relax my own hair. I only go to the salon for my cuts/trims.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM

200 posts, read 854,850 times
Affirm works very well. But I agree, make sure he/she doesn't leave it on your hair for too long...

Also, the company (Avlon - sp??) makes Kera-Care products that are GREAT. When I lived in LA, I went to a 'celebrity' hair stylist, who did the hair of some very prominent actresses (all women of color/ various lengths & textures). He used Affirm, as well.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 AM

151 posts, read 570,313 times
Hell YES to the Phytospecific. Oh, and I also self-relax. My favorite no-lye is Gentle Treatment and my favorite lye is Elasta. Elasta is fantasic because it really does keep the elasticity in my hair. I don't use any heat on my hair, just relax and let it go wavy. With almost every other relaxer, it was just too straight (not limp, my hair doesn't do limp) and it woudn't have any life. Since I stopped going to the salon, my hair has never been healthier.

And whoa. $85 is a lot for just the relaxer but it has been my experience that services like this are just more expensive in the South for some reason. My mom tells me it costs like $50 for a pedicure in Raleigh, which is unheard of here and this is L.A.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty